It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

*pamela* HB User
Exclamation HELP for a newbie - what antidepressant are you on?

I'm only 23 years old and am newly diagnosed. Looking for some wisdom from YOU!

My docs are talking about starting me on an antidepressant both for pain and for some moderate situational depression. What ones have you tried and have you had any luck?

PM says Cymbalta; Primary says Amitriptyline (Elavil) or Prozac; and Therapist says Zoloft.

I started Cymbalta a week ago at 20mg and it has helped the pain some, but I'm having very restless sleep some nights. I generally feel very "wired." It also has killed my appetite (which isn't good, as I'm 114 and 5'5" so I don't need to lose weight). I've also heard terrible things about stopping Cymbalta so I'm not sure I want to deal with that down the line. Basically I'm thinking of switching... I've heard Amitriptyline can cause weight gain and I'm fine with some, but am concerned about too much because I can't exercise too much with RSD in my foot.

Please share your experiences on ADs for CRPS? What did you go on? How'd it work? What kind of side effects did you have? Thanks so so much!
--

Initial injury (stress fracture in third metatarsal) occurred in March 2011. Diagnosed with CRPS in May. Had first nerve block on June 28th, and have had 2 more since. On Gabapentin 1800mg; anti-inflammatory; DMSO cream; NAC tablets. Responding to treatment so far, although it's slow going. I can walk around some now and am hoping for remission.

The following user gives a hug of support to *pamela*:
Coffee4J (10-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
(female)

meggurz HB User
Re: HELP for a newbie - what antidepressant are you on?

I felt really wired on Cymbalta and my doc had me at 60mg for 4 months. Getting off it was horrible for me because I already had those "brain zaps" people talk about before tapering so stopping it really messed me up. My friend is on 30mg for fibromyalgia and is doing wonderfully so maybe it's condition/body chemistry that really make the difference....Amitrytaline is pretty good for me, minus the dry mouth, just make sure you always have water and mints. My 2 cents.

Reply Reply