It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
(female)

Boat Girl HB User
Wait between trial SCS and permanent implant?

I have lots of questions for my Boston Scientific Rep, but I'll pose one question to the board. What is the general wait time from the end of a "hopefully successful" trial SCS and the permanent implant?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
(female)

laurav HB Userlaurav HB Userlaurav HB Userlaurav HB User
Re: Wait between trial SCS and permanent implant?

There doesn't have to be any wait. I had a 'Permanent Trial', which meant that my trial was conducted using permanent rather than trial leads. I had my trial leads implanted, stayed in hospital two days and then had nearly a week at home. Although it did nothing for most elements of my pain I had significant relief from the allodynia and skin burning so went ahead with the permanent implant. I had it done the week after my trial.

Laura

The Following User Says Thank You to laurav For This Useful Post:
Boat Girl (10-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I had a BS stimulator and I think it all depends on getting it scheduled more than anything else. My pm dr. did my trial, but then I had to get an appt. with a neurosurgeon for the pre-op for the permanent one and then I had to get the OR scheduled for the implant. So it was about a month from trial from permanent for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to K_Lana For This Useful Post:
Boat Girl (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
(female)

jyoung4992 HB User

I had my trial completed on April 5, had the implant done on May 2, the battery was no good and would not hold a charge so another implant was done on June 2, 2011. Be very sure that you want this! It does help with the RSD pain, but it also has caused so many more issues since having it implanted. I have a hard time doing anything as the implant sticks so far out of my back, it is almost sitting right on my spine. I can't sit in a chair or drive a car normally due to the pain that is caused by the implant when pressed on it. I either have to drive humped over the wheel or almost lay down to avoid the implant. I have terrible lead pain that sends electrifying impulses up my back. I sometimes have to shut the machine off completely as it is vibrating my eyes, teeth and tongue (the strangest feeling ever). I kinda regret getting the implant. It's a battle of thoughts for me as it does help the RSD pain in my left leg. Although the burning has not gone away at all and the RSD has now spread to my left arm and shoulder. I guess I had alot of unrealistic expectations of the SCS implant.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
(female)

Boat Girl HB User

Wow that sounds a bit scary. I am assuming you must discuss the location of the implant very directly with your PM doctor. Sorry you've had so much trouble. I'm just hoping to get on with this. My daughter is also getting married in 47 days - so I have all of that to deal with on top of this trial and hopefully implant.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
(female)

lisapoinsettia HB User

It takes about a month are to before they give you the permanent stimulator to make show you heal from the trial. I had my boston scientific put in since aug.4, 2008 ihavent had any problems with it stoped 50% of the pain it also help with the muscle spams a little i don't have to take as much medicine like i used to they had to ajust the setting on it one since then i don't have problems with my stimulator.

Last edited by lisapoinsettia; 10-03-2011 at 07:25 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lisapoinsettia For This Useful Post:
Boat Girl (10-03-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Hi, I had my trial in Nov 2010 and my implant Dec 2010, My leads migrated after about a week. 3 weeks later I was back in surgery to get them back in place. I am very glad I have my BS stimulator because I can now walk with the assistance of a cane. But on the flip side for me my RSD spread to my surgery sites in my lower back and my butt cheek. My RSD has since spread to my eyes, which is why I havent been on the boards in a while had a couple of pretty bad months, but comming out of it now thanks to several stellate ganglion nerve blocks, hopes this helps
kelly

Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
(female)

Boat Girl HB User

I am so sorry you've had so many problems. I hope things get better soon. I am anxious, excited for the stimulator. I would just like to try to get mine and my husband's life back. My husband has a hard time dealing with this condition, he was so use to seeing me run a hundred miles an hour... so the stimulator is one hope for us. I just got word today that I should hear about approval at least for the trial - within 7-10 days. Mixed emotions....

Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
(female)

jyoung4992 HB User

I really hope all goes well for you and the trial. Sometimes I just have to live life and grin and bear through the pain...I tend to bite my lower lip and hold my breath a lot. I just went ziplining and white water rafting and had a blast, I paid for it later and for days, but I figured I was gonna hurt anyways so why not have a really good reason to hurt.

Sometimes you just have to look at it one day at a time and that seems to help. My husband also has a hard time dealing with this as he was diagnosed with 3 brain angiomas back in May (he is doing great). So along with his own issues he has to deal with mine and still provide for me and our son. It brings on so much guilt it's not funny. Just keep your head up and don't let the pain control you...I know that may seem hard at times, but always stay in control of it.

Closed Thread