It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
(female)

rsd2008 HB User
Unhappy SCS trial for RSD..

Hello all:

I have a lot of questions regarding whether or not to have the SCS implant trial for my RSD. I have heard good things and bad things about SCS implants....

My questions are as follows:

1) Are the leads for the trial coming out of your back and taped to your back so that they do not get snagged on anything?

2) If I do decide to have the permanent implant, will the leads then be "tunneled" under the skin to the device, so that they are no sticking out of your back?

Any feedback on this would be very greatful....I am so full of mixed emotions about this..I have to keep in mind that I am a military wife whose husband still does quite a bit of traveling for work and 2 kids (ages 9 & 12) to take care as well a house to keep up with...

Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: SCS trial for RSD..

1) Are the leads for the trial coming out of your back and taped to your back so that they do not get snagged on anything? Yes, they are coming out of your back and they are taped down and covered really, really well, so they don't get snagged, but more importantly, so there the risk of infection is minimalized. It is covered with all sterile dressing and you will not be allowed to shower or get it wet.

2) If I do decide to have the permanent implant, will the leads then be "tunneled" under the skin to the device, so that they are no sticking out of your back? Yes, it is all under your skin. YOu won't see anything with the permanent implant and so you can shower and everything once the incisions are healed.

If you have any more questions let me know. I had my trial in June. My permanent one put in July and then 13 days later had to have it taken out due to infection. I do plan on getting it put back in Jan or Feb. after another surgery I am having in December. It was wonderful when it was working before the infection set in! I also have kids (5 ) and my husband travels most of the time.

Last edited by mod85; 10-13-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Kev629 HB User

You have to accept that SCS's have been known to cause spreads of RSD to the incision sites however from what I have read 50% who get a spread still say they are better off than before. Annumber of people have had them taken out not only because of that but of leads coming loose, and batteries running out both of which neeed more ops.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Hi RSD2008, I had my SCS implanted Dec 2010, and KLana is right, for the trial everything is taped and covered very well, and the permanate the wires are tunneled under the skin. You have to be very careful for 6 to 8 weeks after implant surgery No lifting bendin stretching No twisting or reaching over your head. Like I said I had my perm SCS implanted in Dec 2010, 2 weeks later I pulled my wires and they moved out of place and I was back in surgery in Jan to have them repositioned. Kevscar is also right about the spread, My RSD spread to my incision sites in my lower back and butt cheeck. I am still glad I got it though. Hope this helps
Kelly

Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
(female)

rsd2008 HB User

I was wondering what the recovery time was for the trial and after you have the trial implant removed??

Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

THere is no recovery time for the trial. It's in and I went on to my normal activity. I was just slightly sore. I had it done awake, in the office, with no pain meds or anything. Drove myself there, had it put in, and drove home, actually, drove to karate class to help supervise teaching. I didn't teach that day because I didn't want the kids to pull on the wires, but I had to be there physically to supervise.

Same thing when I had it taken out. Was a bit sad it was taken out. I missed it.

The taking it out is a breeze. They pull it out, put a bandaid on and you are set to go.

Last edited by K_Lana; 10-18-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Closed Thread