It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 03:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Lightbulb ~~RSD EFFECTING THE INTERNAL ORGANS~~

Hearing alot about RSD and the internal organs. I am really curious myself so I searched the internet and found this interesting piece of informatiuon.
........................................ .............
RSD invariably involves the internal organs. Usually the skin surface is cold at the expence of increased circulation to the internal organs. This increased circulation can cause osteoporosis,fractures of bones, abdominal cramps and diarrhea, disturbance of absorption of foods with resultant weight loss, water retention with aggravation of premenstrual headaches and depression, persistant nausea and vomiting, as well as severe vascular headaches mistaken for "cluster" headaches".

In addition, the sympathetic dystrophy can cause the complication of intractable hypertension which responds best to alpha 1 blockers (dibenzyline, Hytrin, or clonodine). The RSD can cause attacks of irregular or fast heart beat, chest pain, coronary artery spasm (agina), as well as disturbance of function of other internal organs. A few examples are frequency and urgency of urination, respiratory disturbance such as dyspnea and apneic attacks, and attacks of severe abdominal pain.

Laproscopy may reveal congestion and inflammation of the ovaries,uterus or small bowel.

Attacks of fluctuating blood pressure may also be accompanied by constriction of the blood vessels to the kidney resulting in periodic bleeding in the urine as well.

Nerve blocks and more importantly physical therapy help improve the skin circulation and reduce the deep circulation calming down the inflammatory affect of RSD over the internal organs. As mentioned above, alpha 1 blockers are quite affective in treatment of this condition.

Attacks of swelling of the internal organs complicated by intermittent constriction of the blood vessels to different organs can result in chest pain, attacks of sharp central pain (stabbing severe pain in the chest or abdomen),and changes in voice (suddenly developing a temporary "chipmunk" type of voice change). The sharp stabbing, central pain can be helped with treatment with medication such as a anticonvulsant (tegretol or neurotin).

The same congestion of internal organs can cause hypersenstivity to smell and aversion to taste and certain foods.

H. Hooshmand MD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

AngeInBoston HB User
Exclamation

Wow, thanks for that informatin Cattys!

That Dr. Hooshmand is such a fountain of information, I should go back to his Website and read some more of what he says! I read alot from him at the beginning of this saga...but haven't gone back since.

Kinda makes me wish we lived close enough to him to go to him, although I'd have to examine his philosophy more...didn't someone say he doesn't believe in pain meds or narcotics?

Hope you have a low pain day!
~Ange

Old 08-01-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile

Thanks, cattys.

That was very interesting.

Sharon

Closed Thread