It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

AngeInBoston HB User
Question ~Is RSD hereditary?~

Hi Everyone!

I'm hopefully just being a nervous Mommy, but I'm wondering if the predisposition for having RSD occur might be hereditary?

My 6 yr old keeps having pain in her ankle where she sprained it back in May, but it's not horrendous constant pain, it just flares up sometimes, but she seems to be complaining about it pretty often...I think I'm going to call her Pediatrician? She had Xrays at the time, and no break.....but I'm worried because she's already quite a ballerina and figure skater, and a permanent ankle injury would devastate her.....and I'm terrified my children might be at risk for inheriting this Monster at any time from the slightest little injury!

Anyone??? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Thanks,
~Ange http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif

Old 08-27-2003, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Talking

Hi Ange,

I wonder about the same thing. I don't have any answers for you though. How are you guys doing? How is Joey's elbow? I hope better. I know you said he has an appointment with a new doc soon. I hope that goes well.

Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 07:01 PM   #3

philly girl HB User
i don't think so.. i looked this up one night because i have kids too.. the experts i found say that it's not hereditary. however, she may still have an injury so it's good you're having it checked out.

Old 08-27-2003, 10:55 PM   #4

Aly B HB User
Hi Ange,

As far as I am aware it is not a heriditary condition.

As a gymnastics coach I would say the recurring sore ankle is due to her not doing enough to strengthen the area post initial injury by way of proprioceptive exercises. Unless these are done the ankle will continue to be stressed, weakened and sore for months and even years. Speak to a PT about appropriate exercises. They would include balance exercises on that foot (eyes closed - very important) when stable start to try to move the elevated foot forwards, backwards and sideways. Progress to doing this on a rebounder or hard trampoline type surface. Wobble board exercises are excellent. Theraband work. There are many more.. try even speaking to your daughters coaches about proprioceptive exercises and ankle strength work.

Hope this helps...

Take care... *hugz*

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/jester.gif

Aly

Old 08-28-2003, 06:03 AM   #5

destinyevans HB Userdestinyevans HB Userdestinyevans HB User
Hi

This may answer to your question.

Hugs Destiny

RSD/CRPS does not occur in families.

FACT - As we are accumulating data from questionnaires that have been filled out, we are finding that there are families with two or more persons with RSD/CRPS. This is true in about 5% of the cases.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #6

Arlin HB User
Since RSD is not a disease itself but a symptom of an underlying condition, the underlying condition could run in families: for example, neuropathy caused by gluten intolerance or diabetes. Those conditions can be hereditary, or at least run in families. That opens the door for considering that RSD will occur also within the same family.

Closed Thread