It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2003, 06:37 PM   #1

Merrick HB User
Question Can RSD spread?

My original site was my right arm. Now I have burning in both feet and hands. My surgeon and my neurologist have both said RSD does not spread.

Old 09-01-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Talking

Merrick,

Unfortunately RSD does spread. My opinion is RSD will do what it wants when it wants it has a mind of it's own.

I hope you are having a pain tolerable evening.

Cattys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2003, 09:28 PM   #3

Merrick HB User
Thank you for your reply. I've read many articles and internet info and a book and all state that it does spread, but when two of your doctors say it can't you just need some validation. It's hard when its workers comp and you get stuck with their doctors. Thanks again.

Old 09-02-2003, 05:46 PM   #4

Nakona HB User
I think this is a big debate with many of us.

I do know it spreads.....but if the research I've done is even half right, you can't predict where it will spread to. My research suggests it is a disorder of the entire nervous system. Not to mention sweat glands, skeletal system, circulatory system, etc.

I've had 2 doctors tell me it doesn't spread. Yet it started in my hand and has now spread into my fingers and past my wrist. This is the osteoporosis from being in a cast, but it is a side effect of an RSD limb being immobilized.

I would say it spreads......but I don't have a degree.

Hope this finds you having a "good" day.
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nakona

Old 09-03-2003, 11:08 AM   #5
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi,

I have had RSD in the left knee/leg for 2 years. It seems to me that the symptoms might be spreading to my right foot and right ankle. My present neurologist says I do not have RSD at all, not even in the left knee/leg, because RSD symptoms do not spread that way. What should I believe? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2003, 06:16 PM   #6

Merrick HB User
If it is not RSD, what is it? What does your neurologist say? Mine thinks I might have a brain infection.... Thank you for your replies

Old 09-03-2003, 07:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Merrick believe me if you had a brain infection you would be in the hospital asap.

sfangel, RSD spreads wherever whenever. mine went from my wrist, hand, arm to my legs.

I feel alot of dr's are not well educated in RSD. After I have talked to so many people with this disorder I know it spreads and it dosn't go in order when it spreads it can randomly spread anywhere. We know more then the dr's because we are the ones who are actually living with it. We know our bodies, we know when somthing just isn't right.

I had my family dr. tell me it dosn't spread thankfully he is not the one treating me. My pain dr knows it spreads anywhere at anytime.

It just makes a person mad when there dr. tries and deny what we are feeling and makes excuses for what is ailing us because truthfully, They don't have a clue.

cattys

Old 09-03-2003, 07:24 PM   #8
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, everybody

Merrick, my present neurologist only thinks I have "simple muscle pain." I certainly do not believe this crap! He says this because he does not see any RSD symptoms in my left knee/leg. I told him again and again that my RSD symptoms are masked by Duragesic, the strong narcotic painkiller I am using. I even found an article from Dr. Schwartzman referring to narcotic meds not only killing pain but also masking other symptoms of chronic pain conditions.

Cattys, it is certainly true many doctors are not well educated in RSD, if at all.

"When it spreads it can randomly spread anywhere." I wish doctors would realize this.

True, we know more than doctors about RSD because we live with this monster every day.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:31 PM   #9

Merrick HB User
HI Cattys

How long did it take to spread ?
Did you notice how long it took to go from your wrist to your legs?

Old 09-03-2003, 07:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
SFangel, I am sorry to hear your dr. is treating you this way. It is bad enough what you have to deal with then you have him making you second guess everything. Is there any way you could get a new dr. You just keep your head held up high and always remember you are somebody. We RSD sufferers are survivors.

Merrick, The spread went to my legs after I had my first spinal cord stimulator implant I think that is what made it spread to my legs.

It spread from my wrist up my arm and into my neck within 3 months of being diagnosed .

I hope you guys never have it spread. Every new ache I get scares me anymore, you just can't tell with this disorder what it will do next.

I hope you all have a pain tolerable restfull nights sleep.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif cattys http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Closed Thread