It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 10:12 AM   #1

stitchlady HB User
Question About Remission

Hi Everyone,
If you go into remission early into having RSD, 3 months, would you have pain do to the damage of atrophy or contracture and how would one tell the difference? The vascular aspect of my RSD seems to be better where it started in the wrist and hand. I have very little shine, the veins are filling again,
the pain is very manageable with neurontin and topamax.
The wrist, and fingers are still stiff and I have either contracture of the joints or bony changes. My shoulder had been painful for about two weeks before the possible remission and over night it frooze up, which is what my wrist and hand did. However my shoulder had the light touch, and cold sensitivity, but never turned purple, or white. So I don't if I am in remission and this is residule problems, or it the RSD is out of my wrist and hand and moved to the shoulder. I am sorry every time I get on here I need help. I have only had this since June and I am so confused! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif Thank you, God bless.
Stitch

[This message has been edited by stitchlady (edited 09-25-2003).]

Old 09-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran

riceneuroni HB User
Hi Stitch. I'll take a stab at this since I'm one of the few here (I think) who has had a remission.

Let's see, my RSD started in 2002 April (about) and I went symptom free in November. The pain had been very severe not allowing me to so much as touch my feet on the floor. I can't remember how long the pain was that severe and neither can my hubby, but I was needing the wheelchair from about May till Nov.

I can say I had no residual effects or pain during the remission, which lasted till June of this year. The pain's been back since then and I have nerve damage now, but I don't know if or how much that will impact my next remission. (Hope springs eternal!)

I hope you are in remission. Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Talking

Hi Stitch.

This is just my personal experience with remission. I was in remission for a couple months. I had no pain what so ever. Then it all came back with a vegence out of the blue. I am almost sure that different people have different remission outcomes and symtoms. I think this disorder is all on a indivitual basis.

Do a search on RSD and remission you will probely come up with alot of info.

I hope you have a pain tolerable evening.

Take care and I hope you are doing good.
cattys

Old 09-26-2003, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran

Soxy HB User
Hi Stitchlady! Welcome! I had RSD in the LF/ankle in Spring 2002. About 6-8 months later it went to the other foot/ankle and the pain disappeared in the left foot. So, I guess my left foot is in remission. It doesn't hurt or swell or look different. My right foot has calmed down quite a bit but here it gets dicey. In the last few weeks, both of my legs have become weak, achy, and feel as if they are going to give out. Sometimes at night I feel like I have restless leg syndrome. At first both legs were very painful. Now the pain isn't too bad but if I don't take the Vicodin in the morning I know it. So, I am kind of confused about this remission idea. I always say this disorder has a mind of it's own. Sorry to drone on and on. I probably didn't even answer your question! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif I wish I could be more helpful. I'm just grateful that my pain level has dropped from a steady 9 to about a 3 -4. To me that is a miracle. Oh, I wanted to add that I had a med change but that was ruled out as the culprit. I am not back on the orig. dose and still have the same leg/s problem.
Take care.
Dianne
------------------
There is always hope....

[This message has been edited by Soxy (edited 09-26-2003).]

Old 09-26-2003, 03:08 PM   #5

dragonC HB User
Hey stitch
I was diagnosed and began blocks within 2 weeks of getting RSD. I have very little color change, no shine and minimal temperature changes. However, I have pain and other systemic symptoms- blood pressure changes, short term memory problems etc. One doc said its remission if you don't have the vascular or bone changes. Others say pain, swelling, sensitivity and spreading are pretty good indications that its not in remission. The crazy disease effects everyone completely different. (I've forgotten what my point was!) http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

I have hope that because I caught this bugger so early that maybe I can fend off the later stages and miss some of the symptoms. I hope you can too!
Peace
Cathy

Old 09-26-2003, 03:51 PM   #6

stitchlady HB User
Hello All,
Thank you so much for all your input. This sure is like putting pieces of a puzzle toegether. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif
It blows your mind. To all may you have low pain, and high spirits. Stitch

Closed Thread