It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2003, 07:32 PM   #1

early HB User
Post rsd after surgery?

I have had rsd since 1998. Left hand. I have not had too much trouble with it for a few months. I had knee surgery in June 2003. I have had a lot of problems with my knee ever since. First a hematoma. I had it drained twice. Lots of physcial therapy. Now my knee is still swollen and very painful. My Dr. says it will just take time and released me. I think I have a bad infection or rsd again. Please give me your opinion about this. thank you.

------------------

Old 10-26-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile

Hi and welcome to our little family,

I don't know if you have it in your knee or not. Does it feel like it did when you had it in your hand? What type of knee surgery did you have? I also had knee surgery that kicked my RSD into overdrive. I also got hematomas a lot after all my knee surgeries. I wonder if that has anything to do with RSD. I know when I get a cut, I bleed forever. Takes a long time to stop. If that's an RSD thing, that might explain the hematomas. What kind of symptoms do you have besides pain? If it feels like RSD to you, I suggest you see a doc that knows about RSD. Is this the same doc you saw when you had RSD in your hand? Does the doc who did your knee surgery seem to know anything about RSD. If not, I would try to find another one. Hope some of this helps. I don't really know what to tell you other than I hope it's not RSD and hope you feel better.

Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2003, 07:51 PM   #3

early HB User
Hi Sharon1030. Thanks for the reply. I will try to make this short as I can. I was sent to a Dr in 1999 and he was the one to tell me i had rsd in my hand. I had had 3 rotor cuff surgeries on that arm, by another Dr. When i needed knee arthorscopy I went to him because he knew abot the rsd. I had heard I would need a block before any surgery. I talked about this with he before the knee was done and he told me he would take care of it. I spoke with the anitheisolgist just before surgery and ask if he was going to do the block and he said my Dr dosen't do blocks and they took me to surgery. I was very upset but he would not listen to me.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile

Wow! I can't believe they didn't listen to you about the block. Had your previous RSD doc told you that you should have one before surgery? I've had 10 surgeries on one knee and two on the other and I've had an epidural put in for the surgery and they leave it in for a few days after in hopes of keeping the RSD from getting worse. Good luck.

Sharon

Old 10-26-2003, 08:06 PM   #5

early HB User
I couldnt have an epidural in my back because I had had back surgery in 1986. I was told they would do a femal block? In my upper leg, but I didnt get one. I am going to have to find a doctor who knows abot rsd.

Old 10-27-2003, 05:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Hi early, Welcome to the forum.

I would find another Dr. It just seems so hard to get a dr to say yes it is the RSD. I don't know if they just have no clue on how to treat the situation or just plain dumb.

It is a great possibility that it is RSD in your knee. Try and find a Dr. that knows about RSD.

Good luck and hang in there.

Cattys

Old 10-27-2003, 05:50 PM   #7

Nakona HB User
Arrow

Hi early and welcome to our little family here!!!

I agree with everyone else,,,,it could have spread. If you have a doc that knows this monster of ours, talk to him. Find out what he thinks.

I was diagnosed in August this year with RSD in my left hand caused by breaks recieved in a care accident. Three weeks ago I had steel plates put in my hand because the RSD was not allowing my hand to heal. Since the surgery I've discovered that narcotics like darvocet and hydrocodone do NOT work for me. I've had no pain relief in 3 weeks and my hand hurts so bad I could scream if I wasn't so afraid I'd never stop. Surgery can cause some serious flare ups with this monster, but then I've found absolutely nothing that DOESN'T cause a flare up!

I hope you have a 'good' evening.

------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ---Unknown
Nakona

[This message has been edited by Nakona (edited 10-27-2003).]

Old 10-27-2003, 06:16 PM   #8

early HB User
Thanks all for your replys. I am seeing my family Dr on Oct 5th. He is a very caring doctor and has been upset with my ortho dr. I am going to ask him to refer me to someone who is up on rsd. I am having some symptions of rds. depression, very touchy, in constant pain, times I draw a blank, lots of pain over my body, numbness that comes and goes, and not sleeping soundly. I thought it was because my knee is so sore and swollen, but I had these symptions for 2 years with my hand. thank you all for listening.

Old 10-29-2003, 06:23 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ejames4773 HB User
Good luck on the 5th. Hope you can get the diagnosis and the treatment you need. You have had lots of encouragement from the others. Go for it.

Hugs,
Edna

Closed Thread