It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

painman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB User
migraine for months

Hey all, question here is how do I get rid of this migrain..all of my meds to treat RSD save one is also used to treat migrains, now in my history with migrains they have lasted weeks at a clip but never months..this is months and I really wish i could just focus on one medical issue at a time . any ideas how to treat ,,my drs are at a loss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
(female)

hatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB User
Re: migrain for months

Hi painman, I had my very first migrain a couple of days ago. This was really my first and I am 44 yrs old. Is this an RSD thing? Please tell me it isn't. I don't have any idea how to combat them since that was my first but, I have always gotten headaches and I do have something that I do that makes them feel better and gives me a peaceful, warm feeling. Pure lavender oil. Sounds weird I know, but it helps. It sounds like you have tried everything so why not give it a try? You need to buy the good stuff, not cheap knockoff junk. When you get it, and I really hope you do, rub some on your temples, forehead, and a little under your nose so you can smell it. It is pretty strong stuff, but it makes me feel a bit better while I am laying down. I only suggest it because I think you must have tried everything else. It is not a cure, but for some strange reason it helps. I hope you get some relief soon brother, I feel for you. Having RSD and anything on top of it is almost to much to take. I hope my suggestion is not so strange that you wont try it. Please let me know if it helps you even if just a little. Karen

Last edited by hatemyfeet; 01-10-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: I can't spell. Sheesh....it is worse now that I have RSD!??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I found that the more I upped my Topamax or my Zonegran when I was on it, that the worse my headaches got. The odd thing was, I didn't have headaches when I started on them. And yes, I know they are used to treat migranes! So could it be from the meds? WHen I stopped the meds, so did my headaches. I didn't get the headaches at the lower doses, only when I got to the full high dose that we need to help with our RSD symptoms which is more than anyone taking the say, Topamax would take for migranes would take.
Just a thought. I'm trying Topamax once again because my cramping is crazy bad in my foot and what do you know... my headaches have returned.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
(female)

mellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB User

I was an occasional migrainer before RSD/CRPS and then after RSD I started getting clumps of migraines, for days at a time. I was very scared and could not figure out what was wrong. My doctor's said the increase in them could be from RSD because of the nerve/brain thing, so they put me on Topamax for both, migraines and nerve pain. So far, it has helped immensely with the migraines, not a huge deal with the pain and I am on 100 mg 2x a day. I was on 150 mg. 2x a day but pain dr. felt that there was no added benefit between 200 and 300, plus we thought at 300 I had an itching reaction which I find out 2 1/2 months ago is yet just another great side kick of Rsd!

I have read other forums where some people had to stop Topamax and restart it at a low dose again for migraine help. But maybe just a regular migraine medication like imitrex will help. (Sorry, I didn't read prior posts about your med's)

I see your from NY. Are you sure some of it is not sinus? I had 6 sinus infections from last summer til this year 2012 and I know sometimes that contributes to the feeling of migraines, or causes them. I had to be on heavy duty antibiotics each time, it was so crazy and I hardly ever have sinus infections! NY weather has been crazy. I can say the over the counter Musinex D or DM is amazing stuff for nasal congestion, sinus, stuffiness etc. The dry air here and cold mixed with the damp can really do a # on us!!!

Last edited by mellow; 01-10-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: add info

Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

painman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB User

hey.. Thank you for the response.sometimes it feels like Ive tried everything but their is always something new youve never thought of..lavender I have tried, pure flower form to oils it makes it worse( I was a landscaper for most of my life and i have alot of friends into alternative medicines. I even tried potato skins on my forehead. dont laugh.. it was listed as an alternative treatment..(it sounds stupid I know. you should have seen me ..soooo much worse,lol) thank you for you insite I am more than willing to try and reasonable solution

Last edited by Administrator; 02-24-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow View Post
I was an occasional migrainer before RSD/CRPS and then after RSD I started getting clumps of migraines, for days at a time. I was very scared and could not figure out what was wrong. My doctor's said the increase in them could be from RSD because of the nerve/brain thing, so they put me on Topamax for both, migraines and nerve pain. So far, it has helped immensely with the migraines, not a huge deal with the pain and I am on 100 mg 2x a day. I was on 150 mg. 2x a day but pain dr. felt that there was no added benefit between 200 and 300, plus we thought at 300 I had an itching reaction which I find out 2 1/2 months ago is yet just another great side kick of Rsd!

I have read other forums where some people had to stop Topamax and restart it at a low dose again for migraine help. But maybe just a regular migraine medication like imitrex will help. (Sorry, I didn't read prior posts about your med's)

I see your from NY. Are you sure some of it is not sinus? I had 6 sinus infections from last summer til this year 2012 and I know sometimes that contributes to the feeling of migraines, or causes them. I had to be on heavy duty antibiotics each time, it was so crazy and I hardly ever have sinus infections! NY weather has been crazy. I can say the over the counter Musinex D or DM is amazing stuff for nasal congestion, sinus, stuffiness etc. The dry air here and cold mixed with the damp can really do a # on us!!!
Hey Mellow. thank you.. your info was my first suspicion, I actually had to stop all meds for a week as i was having intestinal bleeding. (vomovo) was the cause(specifically the nexium that coated the pill.) migrain got worse. imitrix I tried many years before RSD i was in twelfth grade. then again 4 years ago. no help. furicept fioricept with codien then with morphine, darvicept vicoprofin, icocits, naprelan, naproxen tylenol with codien and so many others that were short lived none helped. I am hoping that there might be aa simple solution. I am no longer aloud to take advil after the intestinal bleeding. my sinuses are clear (as per G.P) I appreciate the help and would appreciate anyother info you have as well.. Ild rather see something ive tried already than nothing. you never know..

Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
(female)

mellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB User

I did think of something else but it kind of goes against RSD!! I used to put icebags on my forehead and under my neck while laying down. I know sounds goofy, but it did work, something to do with constricting the blood vessels. If you can't do actual ice, maybe try icebags wrapped in something like hand towels or something. If you do not injest caffeine then start and if you do, then stop....again the blood vessel thing. AND my last attempt here is excedrin aspirin FREE. (worked great for me b4 the migraine clusters) these were things I was able to do pre RSD. Also my stepfather gets migraines really bad so we used to share our remedies! Hope you can find something soon to help ya!

The Following User Says Thank You to mellow For This Useful Post:
painman2009 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

I would do the ice .. I have the cold hot compresses but i have rsd on parts of my head(we all know ice is BAD for RSD) I always drink coffe and did try not drinking last weekend no difference.. just major caffiene withdrawel(LOL) Thanks for the ideas.. hoping all is well on your end.. be well and soft hugs to you

Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
(female)

Coffee4J HB UserCoffee4J HB User

I am not an expert by any means and I do know that the meds they give you for RSD create weird headaches. One thing I read not to long ago was that magnisium can make a huge difference in headaches, I had read a few months ago that magnisium helps with tendonitis so I have been taking it for a while, I realized that since I have been taking it I have had no headaches-other then the weird ones from increasing lowering or forgetting meds. I get ocular headaches and I agree when I do have them a bag of ice laid acoss my eyes, I also get in a bathtub and run cool water on my head. Just some thoughts.
J

Old 01-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
(female)

sswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB User
Re: migraine for months

Riboflavin or vitamin B2 is meant to help - although it's rare to be short of it - the foods are (after a quick google) meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, dairy foods and nuts and grain products.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

I eat tons of veggies and eggs. but meat and fish are expensive especially fish. and I need to cook for a family of 6, with a loss of my income, and ssdi paying piddle amounts its hard to eat properly. I am trying to mske sure my diet is well balanced but my kids health come first. I am trying to get help re nutrition. by seeing a nutritionist but If the migrains persist because of that then I am sc..wd... thank you all for your help

Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #12
(female)

cp553 HB User

Sorry posting to this so late...but I have had migraines for 22 years and see a neurologist on a regular basis for mine. My headaches have gotten so bad that I am on 400 mgs of Topamax a day and I take injections of Imitrex when I do get a migraine. What your experiencing is called a "clustered headache." It's when you get three or more days of headaches in a row. You need to get a perscription of Medrol Dosepak...it's a steroid.....it's the only way to break the cycle and get rid of the headaches once and for all. Hope I helped. Good Luck to You.
Chrissie

Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

my list of painkillers is long and are taken daily for my RSD and it leaves very little room for more. plus all of my pills are used to fight migraines.. and prior to RSD I have tried so many migraine meds with zero results.. .. so unless its a non drug remedy Its no good

Last edited by Administrator; 06-23-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
(female)

sswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB User

Hi painman. I hope the migraines arn't too bad today. Because I think there's a link between calcium and RSD, when I heard you had migraines before RSD, I googled calcium and migarine and apparently one cause of migraine is 'abnormal calcium channels', which can be helped by calcium channel blocking agents - prescription only and with serious potential side effects which need to be checked out first. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
(female)

Here are some foods with magnesium which is apparently a natural calcium blocker which enhances the activity of calcium.

artichokes, black, navy and white beans, soybeans, squash, broccoli and tomato paste.

The chlorophyll molecules in green vegetables
- beet greens, spinach, Swiss chard broccoli, dark green lettuce and turnip greens

The bran, or outer coating Grains-
pearled raw barley, raw oat or wheat bran, whole wheat flour and cornmeal, buckwheat

Seeds
sunflower, sesame and pumpkin seeds.

Nuts
Almonds, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts, and cashews

Legumes
Peas, Beans, Peanuts

Spring water (check contents) Hard water

Haven’t got time at the mo to cross check and reference

Just realised, this also ties in with what cooffee4J said

Last edited by moderator2; 07-11-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Closed Thread