It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
(male)

Wiired HB UserWiired HB User
New Member - Stellate Ganglion Block question

Hello guys and gals,

I have CPRS Type II (Causalgia) resulting from car accident/multiple surgeries on my shoulder. Next month marks my 1 year anniversary. Unfortunately I just got diagnosed this month and have just started treatment. My old Ortho Surgeon just kept feeding me Norco and sending me to PT. I finally got fed up and went to the Pain Clinic. (Which took a month - this is a Workmans Comp case).

I am wondering how many of you have had success with the stellate ganglion blocks. I just currently had my 6th one at 8:00am this morning and its already worn off (its 2pm). I am scheduled for my 7th one in 2 days (been doing them every 2 days for the last 3) and I really dont feel that it is worh the discomfort associated with it for almost no relief.

Does it get better? I read that supposedly the block will last longer each time, but mine seems to be going the opposite direction. My first block lasted 2 days, the 6th lasted 5-6 hours. I am getting frustrated. At what point do you give up on the Blocks?

I was also put on Neurontin which just makes me stupid for a few hours, and does nothing else.

Anybody who can offer me any good news or guidance will be my new bestest friend.

Last edited by Wiired; 02-24-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

josana HB Userjosana HB User
Re: New Member - Stellate Ganglion Block question

Sorry to hear about this .... not sure I can help as I a have not got a block yet...been a yr and a half...also w/c of course, but you might want to check into a Physiatrist...they treat the whole person and do therapy, nerve blocks and bunch more. There is a guy in SC named Schwartz who seems to be quite the expert and has very interesting info on his page...check it out. I like when he explains there are different forms of CRPS that are similar but have other symptoms...and he is a Physiatrist.
My last dr. IME (2 mths ago) said I probably have both CRPS 1 AND CRPS 2....and w/c still is dragging their feet and not given me any treatment...I just don't understand how they can be so unconscienconable .... if it were their arm or leg they would move with treatments much quicker! I have heard the same as you though about the more blocks you get the better they r supposed to work...but then again it seems that everything about this CRPS is the opposite of normal....Good Luck and do check out Schwartz informational page...I learned a lot there.

The Following User Says Thank You to josana For This Useful Post:
Wiired (02-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
(female)

laurav HB Userlaurav HB Userlaurav HB Userlaurav HB User

Hi Wiired.

I wish I could give a positive response, but I had only very limited relief with lumbar sympathetic blocks (they followed much the same pattern as you've described for your SGB) and no relief from SGB other than from the direct result of the local anaesthetic (an accidental sensory and motor blockade - so I not only had a sympathetic blockade, but also a numb and paralysed arm for a few hours until the local anaesthetic wore off).

How long have you been on the Neurontin for? If it's only a short time, I'd suggest that you try to persevere a little longer on it - many of these meds have the 'double edged sword' of horrid side effects in the short term and also taking a wee while until you see any benefit.

I know the workers comp means there may be difficulties in getting what you need in a timely manner, but does the Pain Clinic mean you also have access to a physiotherapist? Movement is essential - not excessive; you have to learn a lot about pacing, about where the 'line' is that allows you to maintain some strength and flexibility in your limb, without causing a flare (a little extra pain is okay, a lot is not).

Unfortunately we're not allowed to post links here, but you might also want to do a search for Mirror Therapy and Graded Motor Imagery. These are things you can look at at home - they don't work for everyone, but there have been some good results with their use, especially when used fairly early on. Personally I've not had much success with them, but I do know people who have.

The Following User Says Thank You to laurav For This Useful Post:
Wiired (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josana View Post
Sorry to hear about this .... not sure I can help as I a have not got a block yet...been a yr and a half...also w/c of course, but you might want to check into a Physiatrist...they treat the whole person and do therapy, nerve blocks and bunch more. There is a guy in SC named Schwartz who seems to be quite the expert and has very interesting info on his page...check it out. I like when he explains there are different forms of CRPS that are similar but have other symptoms...and he is a Physiatrist.
My last dr. IME (2 mths ago) said I probably have both CRPS 1 AND CRPS 2....and w/c still is dragging their feet and not given me any treatment...I just don't understand how they can be so unconscienconable .... if it were their arm or leg they would move with treatments much quicker! I have heard the same as you though about the more blocks you get the better they r supposed to work...but then again it seems that everything about this CRPS is the opposite of normal....Good Luck and do check out Schwartz informational page...I learned a lot there.
Thank you for that information, I will check out the website that you are refering to. I agree, WC drags their feet sooo slowly, if it was their pain they wouldnt act like this.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
(male)

I have been on the Neurontin for about a month now, the stupididity side effect is going away, but I still do not see any results as far as pain reduction from it. I have been reading about swapping Neurontin with Pregbalin, will mention this to pain clinic to get their input.

I do go to Physical Therapy 3 times a week, but its very hard due to the pain level to do much aside from light stretching and massaging.

I go again to the pain clinic in 2 days, going to have to discuss the next option as this one doesnt seem to be working. This ought to be fun...

Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
(male)

I have been on the Neurontin for about a month now. I have been reading that many people get beter results switching from Neurontin to Pregbalin, going to ask Dr about that. So far, no pain relief from it, but the "I'm stupid time" has decreased.

As far as PT, I do go 3 times a week but the pain limits it to light stretching and massages only.

I did read about the mirror therapy, found that interesting. I will have to look up the Graded Motor Imagery and see what it is.

I have my next appt at the clinic in 2 days, going to discuss more options - the blocks obviously arent working so I am going to stop them for now.

Thanks so much for your reply, you have given me more to look at

Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
(male)

I have been on the Nerontin for about a month. The side effects are lessening but there is still no relief of pain. I have been reading about a lot of folks having better success with pregbalin vs. neurontin, going to ask Dr. I have another appt in 2 days.

I do go to PT 3 days a week, but pain limits to light stretching and massages really.

I did read about the mirror therapy, interesting. Will research your other topic of Graded Motor Imagery.

I meet with Dr again in 2 days, will discuss further options. Thanks for your post and your input!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
(female)

mellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB User

Hi wiired,

I have been having the SGB for some time now and felt the same way you did in the beginning. I wanted immediate relief, at least that is what I expected it to be. But to me it wasn't about how long the affected body part stayed numb, it was about how long after was I without pain. I started trying to track the level after each series (we did 6 injections the 1st time in a 4 week period).

My doctor explained it to me like this (not exactly word for word) Everybody has a different reaction and outcome from injections. So expecting the same results as somebody else is not going to happen, but you have to be patient and look at the whole picture. It takes a bit of time for the injections to build up in your system, so it may seem they are not working immediately, but over the course of a few weeks you may notice some changes, less pain or not so much tingling, burning..whatever your symptoms may be. (I assumed once they did the injections, all pain would be gone!! LOL...that was far from the truth.)The results last longer over the long haul in my opinion, not day to day from the injections. That was my experience. My arm would either be numb for 2 hours or 24 hours after the injection, but either way, once it wore off, my arm felt the same as b4 I went to the doctor's. It wasn't until I had my 2nd round of injections did I "get" what it was. Instead of going every 2-3 months for 6 injections...I now go every 4-5 months for 3-4 injections. It is like it builds up and lasts longer for me over a period of time. I wanted to quit the 1st time I went, the injections are horrible, but I stuck them out and had to re think what I was doing. BUT, some people know right away that they will never work, so........only you will know where you fall.

Good luck. Just remember, these things are not a permanant fix or a quick one either!!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
(male)

Thanks for your explaination. From what I can tell, each of my injections lasts less and less, and the rebound pain is more and more. I dont get a numbness at all, the pain is lessend by about 50%, thats it. To me its kind of like taking a vitamin for a broken arm. I have done 6 injections in under 3 weeks, with the 7th scheduled for tomorrow. I also have been tracking them, and it is easy to see the drastic decline in "relief".

The problem is that they refuse to do anything for the pain in between injections, which is ever increasing. Neurontin seems to do nothing, and I have been on the Norco for so long I have become immune to it. They just say to "give it time". Unfortunately, I am this close to going over the edge. I am working with my rehab nurse to quickly explore other options, hopefully something comes up soon; dont know how much longer I can take this.

For those who may think I am just whining or have a low pain tolorence, I am a US Marine combat vet and have experienced the pain of being shot. That was a walk in the park compared to this.

The following user gives a hug of support to Wiired:
hatemyfeet (02-28-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiired For This Useful Post:
hatemyfeet (02-28-2012), jess731 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
(female)

hatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiired View Post
Thanks for your explaination. From what I can tell, each of my injections lasts less and less, and the rebound pain is more and more. I dont get a numbness at all, the pain is lessend by about 50%, thats it. To me its kind of like taking a vitamin for a broken arm. I have done 6 injections in under 3 weeks, with the 7th scheduled for tomorrow. I also have been tracking them, and it is easy to see the drastic decline in "relief".

The problem is that they refuse to do anything for the pain in between injections, which is ever increasing. Neurontin seems to do nothing, and I have been on the Norco for so long I have become immune to it. They just say to "give it time". Unfortunately, I am this close to going over the edge. I am working with my rehab nurse to quickly explore other options, hopefully something comes up soon; dont know how much longer I can take this.

For those who may think I am just whining or have a low pain tolorence, I am a US Marine combat vet and have experienced the pain of being shot. That was a walk in the park compared to this.
Just want to say thank you in the biggest way possible for your selfless service. Thank you. I sincerely mean that. And thank you for validating my pain too. I have never met anyone who has been shot, but it some strange way you have helped me to not feel like I am being a baby either. Trust me, no one on here with RSD would ever think you are whining, we know what kind of pain you are in. Wish I had something magical to share with you that really helps. Hang in as best you can and keep pushing and fighting for the care you need and deserve. K.

Last edited by hatemyfeet; 02-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to hatemyfeet For This Useful Post:
Wiired (03-06-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
(female)

laurav HB Userlaurav HB Userlaurav HB Userlaurav HB User

I am not American, but you should be proud of your bravery in serving your country.

I don't think anyone here would even begin to doubt your pain or think you were whining. I don't know the pain of being shot but I had my leg broken by somebody falling on it, my arm broken by a well aimed kick from a cow... The only pain I have experienced that compares to the CRPS is the nerve pain I had from fracturing my spine and from (we believe) damaged discs.

With the Neurontin not helping, can they explore other options for you? There are several other medications used for nerve pain. Lyrica (very similar) is probably the most common. Another is Cymbalta (an antidepressant) and another again is Topamax (another epilepsy med that is also used to manage migraines).

I hope your rehab nurse will help you to push with this. Leaving you in severe pain without exploring other options isn't good for managing the CRPS as I'm sure you know. Not good for your mental/emotional well being either.

The Graded Motor Imagery... it actually encompasses Mirror Therapy and a few other things. The idea at it's most basic is that something changes in how our brains recognize our affected limb/s ... including movement, position, pain perception. For example...I've got no idea where my feet are unless I can see them & I have difficulty telling left from right if I see photographs of someone's feet. GMI is aimed at reducing pain and improving function by retraining the brain to recognize limbs nor malls again.

Hang in there best you can, and I hope you find something to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to laurav For This Useful Post:
Wiired (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
(female)

rsd2007 HB User

between 10/2007 and 4/2009, I had 60 Stellate Ganglion Blocks. Some days I had no relief, but I was willing to continue going weekly for the days that gave lasting relief (2 or more days!) Never once did relief continue through the entire week until the next block. I now have 3 spinal cord stimulators. cervical, thoracic & lumbar. The cervical has provided the least amount of relief, therefore my next move is to get my pain dioctgor to resume the stellate ganglion block, perhaps monthly or bi-monthly. Much luck to you.

Closed Thread