It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
(female)

free1818 HB User
Lightbulb RSD/CRPS from shoulder surgery caused fingers to have RSD

I had shoulder surgery May 2011 and got RSD in my left hand and fingers. I had a nerve block which helped with the burning in November, but my thumb and pointer and stiff. I have been going to p/t and o/t and the p/t helped with my shoulder. The problem with this RSD is that it changes from day to day; and sometimes by the hour. It is so frustrating and so painful sometimes I feel like ripping my fingers off. Pain management isn't much help as all they give is Lyrica and pain meds. I sometimes feel like I have small pebbles in my fingers and don't know how to explain this and also have the feeling tht I have slivers of glass in my fingers that float...not sure if you understand what I am trying to say. I am trying so hard to stay positive but I feel sometimes like I have no use of my hand and feel helpless since now I can't cook or do many things I did before. I can drive but part way through the day I feel like I have to lie down and take a nap, which is what I do. I just have no energy as the pain and meds take so much out of me. So my question is: does anyone ever feel like they have pebbles or slivers in their fingers? Thanks for letting me vent here. Hope everyone here is having a good nite as this is the first day and nite I can actually say was half-way decent.

The following user gives a hug of support to free1818:
SweetPeainSF (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: RSD/CRPS from shoulder surgery caused fingers to have RSD

Hi there -- welcome to the boards!

I love your explanation of a floating sliver of glass. I have said a bee sting, but it's different, and I think your description is better. My PT holds a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree and has spent much more time with me than any doctor. She is treating me specifically for the CRPS. She explained that these types of sensations are due to the sympathetic system going crazy and trying to warn your body of a perceived danger, even though there's no actual danger.

My CRPS is in the foot, and we have been working on gradual desensitization. Visit one was sitting and placing both feet on a cheap towel. The CRPS foot felt the texture of the towel to be much more pronounced. The goal is to keep pain between a 2 and a 4, while reinforcing to your body that there is no real danger.

If you can find a PT who treats CRPS, I would definitely recommend asking for a renewed prescription for PT. I found one (finally) at a university's physical therapy department, but it took about two months of searching. I am STILL (3 months now!) on a waiting list to make an appointment for a PT evaluation with one pain management practice. The meds seem to be geared toward stabilizing the CRPS, while the nerve blocks and PT seem to be the best chance for remission.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread