It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
(female)

jilly0 HB User
Smile RSD diagnosis without pain

I was diagnosed with RSD and only have some pain when my foot swells.Other criteria are present. Is there anyone who has a similar profile? I am trying to do as much physical therapy as I can handle, but although I am weight bearing, the Dr. ordered non-weight bearing exercises because I swell up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Kev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB User
Re: RSD diagnosis without pain

For a diagnosis of RSD you need 3 of the 4 main syptoms
Constant Chronic Pain
Inflamation
Spasms in Blood vessels
Insomnia/Emotional Disturbance

They will be acompanied by some or all of the secondary ones which may fluctuate or change
Changes in skin temperature (warmer or cooler compared to the healthy/opposite limb.
- changes in skin color (skin may appear red, dusky, covered with red dots, cyanotic, blotchy, or pale).
- hypersensitivity to touch, sound, vibration, wind, noise, temperature, barometric pressure changes, water temperature, etc.
- irritability.
- depression, fatigue, and/or insomnia.
- changes in hair/nail growth (nails can become brittle, cracked, or grooved - increased/decreased hair/nail growth).
- skin can become shiny, changes in sweating patterns - increase/decreases
- bone and muscle loss/changes, atrophy/weakness.
- swelling and stiffness in affected joints.
- throbbing, crushing, tingling, shooting, aching, stabbing, burning pain in the affected area.
- tremors (shakes).
- problems moving the affected extremity/body part.
- migraines/cluster headaches.

In over 2000hrs of research I have never heard of a case without the pain so fingers crossed you don't have it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
(female)

Sandel HB UserSandel HB User

Hello there..
Yes I have heard of CRPS with all symptoms except pain

be well,
_ Sandra

Last edited by Administrator; 11-18-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

Crano HB User

I have RSD with hardly any pain! I do get burning pain, but nothing like everyone here has? I was diagnosised by 2 different Dr.s. one was a neurologist and the other was my hand surgeon. Mine has classic redness, swollen, shiny skin. My fingers are stuck, dystrophy so I can not make a fist. PT 3 times a week! Everyone is different! I just hope
Mine doesn't get worse!!!
I hope this helps

Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
(male)

Wiired HB UserWiired HB User

From everything I know, pain is always the constant with RSD (thus it's alternative name: Chronic Regional PAIN Syndrome).

What other symptoms do you have that made your doctor provide you with the diagnosis?

I am curious

Old 10-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
(female)

Crano HB User

I was told my hand had classic symptoms, color changes purple, blueish, my nuckel are flaming red! Hair growth, nails. My skin is extremely shiny! Palm sweats. They used pictures of my hand to show what it looks like!
So I don't know why I don't have unbearable pain? But I am so thankful that I don't!
November I am having surgery to fix the 3 fingers that are stuck? Dystrophies? They have to break my pinky it doesn't bend at all, and straighten both fingers. The dr. said he would cut a nerve??? In my hand? Not sure what else?
I'm a little afraid about the surgery? Will the RSD get worse? Will I get the terrible pain?
Everyone says I'm too young not to get my hand fixed, but I can live with it and use it? I just can't make a fist or put my fingers around anything?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
(male)

Cutting the nerve (performing a Sympathectamy (sp?)) Is a bit drastic, considering you dont have pain. Ask them about an RFA (radio frequency ablation) ad an alternative. This kills the nerve Fibres, but the grow back ( supposedly without the pain returning) as opposed to permanently destroying it.

Seems odd to cut the nerve if there us no pain in the first place. The rest of the symptoms definitely fit RSD though.

You have a rather odd case...

Old 10-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
(female)

Crano HB User

Thank you! I will talk with my Dr. About the RFA, I didn't realize that cutting the nerve in my hand was called a sympathamy? I have read that it doesn't work and can grow back with worse pain!
Thank you for your info

Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
(male)

Yeah, I was offered that as well but said no; I had already researched it and it did not seem like a viable option for me.

I'm waiting For my spinal cord stimulator trial now

Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
(female)

Crano HB User

Good luck with your spinal cord trial!
I will keep u in my prayers that u get in and it works!!!!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
(male)

Luckily(?) For me, it looks like my insurance company has finally run out of options in their stalling gameplan. I have been waiting for my stim trial for a year. Maybe I'll get it this Time, maybe they will find another excuse on why to delay....time will tell.

On the bright side, it gave me a whole year to further my own research ;-)

Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

First of all, please don't allow anybody to minimize what you are going through. You can have RSD/CRPS with little pain. I know I was diagnosed five months ago and I dont have any where near the pain that others have. I was told it was a very mild case. They told me it could stay this way or it could go full blown, we are hoping it stays this way!!! I have dealt with the burning, aching pain in the back of my leg; swelling, temperature changes; changes in skin color. My skin has just started in this past month having irritation when my clothes rub against my leg. So yes, you can have this and not be in severe pain. I also have physical therapy three times a week. They are doing exercises to increase mobility and strength. Hopefully your condition will stay in the same manner as it is now and that it doesn't get worse.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #13
(female)

Crano HB User

Thank you
Tomorrow I'm having surgery to fix my hand, I'm a little afraid but I want full use of my hand. It's just so scary, not knowing what will happen with my RSD!!
When I read about everyone here it really overwhelming!
I pray that they find a cure for everyone!!!!!
I'll keep u in my prayers that yours doesn't get worse!!! And u go in remission!
Thank you for writing!
God Bless

Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

I will pray for you that the surgery does not cause the RSD to get worse. I know it can be very overwhelming but that is what we are all here for. I am newly diagnosed and this has truly helped me! Just knowing that there is someone out there who UNDERSTANDS what it is that you are going through is so incredibly helpful. While you hate that somebody else is in this situation, it just helps knowing that you are not alone! God bless you and know that there are people out there who care!
Julie

Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
(female)

Just checking in to see how your surgery went and how you are feeling. I pray all went well. I'm sure it will probably be hard to type back a reply, just know that you have somebody in Indiana praying for you!

Reply Reply