It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
(female)

Izzabella HB UserIzzabella HB User
Having a flare up!! Help!!

Hello to everyone.. I am new to this but when I read over some of the posts I had to post my own for some help!! I've had RSD for 4yrs now.. And although I am in constant daily pain I was unaware that a flare up could occur.. But over the past 2 months I've had 2 flare ups.. At least I think that's what I'm experiencing.. The pain is much more intense.. And my "bad" leg is swollen and I'm unable to even bend it.. I hate giving in to the pain and usually I try to push through the pain.. But during this flare up I am in bed!! Is this normal?? Is this a flare up I'm experiencing?? I went to ER with my last flare up but they had never even heard of RSD!!! I was/am afraid I am becoming crippled.. And thoughts advice anyone has I welcome it and appreciate it.. I wish everyone going through this a pain free day.. God Bless..

The following user gives a hug of support to Izzabella:
jess731 (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Kev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB User
Re: Having a flare up!! Help!!

I have had 2 spreads but no flares but one think I can tell you is that you never try to push through the pain that will on;y make things worse and instead of a flare it could become permanent.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kev629 For This Useful Post:
Izzabella (09-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
(female)

Rkathryn HB User

I am so sorry your in pain! I've had major flare ups for the past year and a half and they have never fully gone away. I am actually in one now where I can't walk and I can't stand up straight. Over the summer I went to the ER because I couldn't move and it hurt too much. They told me they had no idea what RSD was and the doctor didn't even look at my back! He just told me to go and sleep. He also gave me medicine which is supposed to help but doesn't. I'm 17 and I think I'm becoming a cripple every day because the longer the flare up the more I can't move. I can't put wait on my foot because it sends shooting pain everywhere. I feel your pain completely! I hope you get help soon and I hope your pain goes away!
Love
Rkathryn

The following user gives a hug of support to Rkathryn:
Crano (12-19-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Lindsey48 HB User

I've had RSD for 7 years in my left leg & have had my fair share of flare ups. I'm having one right now too, so just know that first off, you are not alone. Second, my fiance had to take me to the ER 2 weeks ago because the pain was so bad & like every other time, they hadn't heard of RSD before. I've gotten in the habit of taking RSD pamphlets that I ordered to new doctor's that I go to so they are aware of what it is or to the hospital when I have to go so they know what it is. As frustrating as it is, I try not to get mad at them because at one point, I didn't know what it was either. Its because that what we have is not well-known and is a more rare diagnosis. My suggestion to prepare yourself if you have to go to the ER again, print out something short & sweet on RSD that will give anyone treating you the gist of what it is. Mayo Clinic has information on their website .

As far as whether or not if its normal if you are in bed from a flare up....ABSOLUTELY! I have had flare ups that have lasted anywhere from a week or two to months on end. And I was in bed the whole time, only getting up to use the bathroom but I was assisted in order to walk to get there. The best thing you can do for yourself during that time is to stay off your leg as much as possible. When you are walking around on it & trying to do everything you normally would when you are not having a flare up, you are doing more damage than good.
I know its not easy & sometimes, it can feel really lonely because no one can truly understand the pain we go through. Hang in there!

Last edited by Administrator; 12-31-2012 at 12:39 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lindsey48 For This Useful Post:
Izzabella (12-31-2012)
Reply Reply