HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-crps/)
-   -   3 wks post RFA (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-crps/920162-3-wks-post-rfa.html)

MiaBelle 09-25-2012 06:45 PM

3 wks post RFA

I'm three weeks from my RFA (burning nerves in lower back). I never had pain in my back until they started doing the SCS surgeries. I have had 1 put in and out, and another one in, plus 1 trial and 1 failed trial. I also have had to rely on my right leg because my RSD is in my left leg. All of this has caused my hips and back to be in severe pain. I had to get my son clothes for his first homecoming last week, which was the first time I was out of the house. Now I am in so much pain and feel like I kicked my recovery way back. It literally hurts to move. I could barely walk two days ago. I am having my middle back RFA in the next month or so. I need to get it done before winter. Does anyone have these kinds of problems? I just feel like I go downhill fast..... When I finally get the benefits from the procedure it seems all worth it. I just need to get there....

Hushie 09-26-2012 07:49 PM

Re: 3 wks post RFA

Hi, Mia. I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. My RSD is in my left leg, too, so I can only use my right one, like you. I do have an implant in my spine. I haven't suffered from much back/hip pain, but the stress on my right foot has caused the RSD to spread to that foot now, too (although I can still use it, at least for now). Not sure if this makes a difference (or if you're already doing this), but I use a walker with a seat on it. I put a pillow on the seat and then put the "bad knee" on it and use my right leg to push the walker. The knee takes some of the pressure off my right leg and keeps my hips/back relatively straight while walking. Of course, this is not medical advice, just my experience.

MiaBelle 10-09-2012 02:41 PM

Thank you for the information. I do have a walker and was told if I use it, it will help to use my arms and get some of the weight off my hips and legs. Thank you so much. I haven't tried it, maybe I should.

Kev629 10-09-2012 07:35 PM

Don;t know what RFA is but if its surgery you need to think really carefully 60% of all scs implants cause RSD at the incision site, any surgery carries a high risk of causing RSD at the point of insertion. US Hospitals that really know about RSD will not even use a needle on you unless absolutely neccesary and then only a peadeatric one

MiaBelle 10-13-2012 03:26 PM

Dear Kev629,
I wanted to know more about it moving. I have had a stimulator put in 08. I then was switched to the VA system and they decided putting another stimulator higher in my back with more leads would be more beneficial. Since these surgeries, I have severe pain in my back and hips (hips- I had one battery in one hip and taken out, and the new one put in the other hip). The RFA is where they burn the nerves of my back with the hopes some day they will not grow back. It is so painful in my back over last surgery when the nerves aren't burned that I can't even handle light touch. I'm in severe pain almost half the year that I can hardly move. When the injections take effect (8wks after and they last 5-6 months) it is a little better, until its time to do it again. I'm not sure if I'm hurting myself more by doing this....but it helps for a couple months before I can't handle it again. This disease just is miserable!!!