It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
Triple Phase Bone Scan for RSD

I just had a triple phase bone scan for rsd. I have a mild case in my left foot. The bone scan report states there is increased activity in my RIGHT foot. What exactly does that mean? I am totally confused and I dont see my doctor until next week! Have any of you ever had one done and what exactly does this all mean? When I asked my PM doctor what my prognosis was with this since this is due to a workman's comp injury and that I can't keep it open forever, she told me she would have to wait and see what the bone scan shows. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
(male)

Wiired HB UserWiired HB User
Re: Triple Phase Bone Scan for RSD

Comp made me do a bone scan too. Mine showed bone density loss in my left shoulder and arm. For me it was just one more hurdle to jump before they finally decided to allow for the spinal cord stimulator trial.

Dont let them jerk you around, there is no time limit on a comp case, they are responsible for medical treatment for the life of your injury.

If you have not already, talk to an attorney who specializes in comp immediately! Without representation they will do whatever they can to get you off their books.

Comp=Attorney--NOW

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

Thanks for the info!!! I saw my PM doctor and she said the bone scan showed there were definite changes in the blood flow between the left and right foot verifying that this is a mild case of RSD. She is wanting to do two nerve blocks, one week apart. She wanted to do it this Monday (12/3/12) but work comp didn't reply soon enough. Now the next date planned is 12/10 and 12/17. So far, work comp hasn't tried to settle. I still have the original injury to my ankle. The orthopedic tried saying it is just a sprain now...I told him this was a 6 month sprain! I dont think so. So now he wants me to use orthotics that he made for me, continue intense physical therapy, and in three months do another MRI to see how the tendon tear is. This has been a very frustrating experience! I just want to get some normalcy back..and I am NOT liking this "new normal"!!! As of yet, I have not hired a lawyer. I was talking to my husband and told him I dont know how this will ever be able to be settled since I now have a lifetime condition. He just settled a work comp case himself. He broke two ribs at work. He settled 10 months after his injury. The paperwork that he signed stated that any future appointments for this injury or medication would not be paid for by them if it was due to that injury; by signing the form releases them from any other liability. If I have to spend the rest of my life (unless the Lord heals me) on medication, nerve blocks, and what ever else lies ahead in the future, who will pay? I dont want a workers comp open forever, I think there should be some type of settlement for what I have been through and for the surgery that lies ahead for the ankle injury. Any idea on how they would handle this? What does your attorney say?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
(male)

Wiired HB UserWiired HB User

Well, truth is there is no easy answer. Your comp case could realistically be open for life. If you were to come to an agreement and settle, you and your attorney would have to take future medical care into account.

there's also the possibility of Social Security Disability if your injury will keep you out of work for over a year. If uou get SSD , medicare can take over medical bills after 2years. Your attorney can help with all this.

I have been on SSD and Comp for over a year now. The success or failure of the stimulator trial will depend on when a settlement comes to the table.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
(female)

I pray you will be able to get the stimulator and that you will have success with it! I want to thank you for your replies; not just for this one but for others that I have posted and for ones that I have seen you post on other people's posts. This site has been a real blessing for me. I know my case is no where near what yours or other peoples condition is, but it is very encouraging knowing that there are people that are still out there who are willing to help those of us who are new to this dreadful disease! So again, thank you!!!
Julie

Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

painman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewlz67 View Post
I just had a triple phase bone scan for rsd. I have a mild case in my left foot. The bone scan report states there is increased activity in my RIGHT foot. What exactly does that mean? I am totally confused and I dont see my doctor until next week! Have any of you ever had one done and what exactly does this all mean? When I asked my PM doctor what my prognosis was with this since this is due to a workman's comp injury and that I can't keep it open forever, she told me she would have to wait and see what the bone scan shows. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Im disabled due to RSD/CRPS brought on by a work related accident.I'm still out on comp though I did try to return to work. I went for a nuclear bone scan then a tri phase bone scan. Now I await the ok to get another triphase bone scan to get the spread allowed in my case. Jewel. as far as prognosis the best they can do is guess. this beast doesnt have a straight path it follows, it is different for each of us. a few get to find remission while others progressively get worse. My suggestion is plan for the worst and pray for the best and some where in the middle is life. Learn alot about this and research everything to its fullest extent . See which treatment options you are ok to live with. only you will know what treatment is right for you. and never let a dr tell you tha you must do this or that. when in doubt research and bring your issues here for discussion . you will see many different approaches and results to the treatments. and also you willl learn hat to expect from treatment here. If it wasnt for this site I would have done the SCS but I learned about all its risks here as well as the pin pump and calmare. treatment as well a hbot. I wish you luck in your treatment. I hope it was dx,d early enough and treated as soon as they could so you can maximize you results

The Following User Says Thank You to painman2009 For This Useful Post:
jewlz67 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
(female)

Thank you so much for your input! This site has truly helped me to deal and understand more about this dreadful disease! Painman, you are so right in calling this a beast because that is truly what it is!!! My PM doctor talked to me about my results and she said that there was a definite change in the blood flow and more or less, confirmed the diagnosis. I have had two nerve blocks so far and getting ready for number three! The first one gave me instant relief! The burning and aching were totally gone and the only pain I was having was the pain from the original injury which is two torn tendons. My second nerve block did not go like the first one did. I have had more pain since I did the block than I had before it. I am hoping that when I go for my next block it will be more effective. The PM doctor wanted me to have two nerve blocks one week apart. She also wanted me to do my physical therapy on the same day. So...my nerve block was at 8am and my therapy was at 2pm. I dont know if that is the reason why I have had more pain with this block since the last one, I didnt have therapy until the day after the block. This has just been a very frustrating experience, as I'm sure yours has been as well. Now, is your workman's comp case still open? If so, how do you get it settled? I dont want to have this open forever but I also dont want to have to pay for the treatments on my own. I feel like I am in a no win situation. When all of this first started after my injury and I was doing therapy, I really didn't complain a lot. Now, I feel like all I do when I go for my physical therapy is complain. I don't like this! To be so down is not me, to complain is not me, but I just don't know how to get out of this mode. Guess I need to figure out a way to just pick my butt up and keep sucking it up and dealing with it like I was doing to begin with!!! I thank the Lord for people in my life who I know pray for me daily! I just need to get my mind and eyes off the situation and keep looking up instead of down. Guess sometimes you need to just talk yourself out of the depression and put the right thoughts in your head instead of focusing on the negative.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

painman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB User

Quote:
Thank you so much for your input! This site has truly helped me to deal and understand more about this dreadful disease! Painman, you are so right in calling this a beast because that is truly what it is!!! My PM doctor talked to me about my results and she said that there was a definite change in the blood flow and more or less, confirmed the diagnosis. I have had two nerve blocks so far and getting ready for number three! The first one gave me instant relief! The burning and aching were totally gone and the only pain I was having was the pain from the original injury which is two torn tendons. My second nerve block did not go like the first one did. I have had more pain since I did the block than I had before it. I am hoping that when I go for my next block it will be more effective. The PM doctor wanted me to have two nerve blocks one week apart. She also wanted me to do my physical therapy on the same day. So...my nerve block was at 8am and my therapy was at 2pm. I dont know if that is the reason why I have had more pain with this block since the last one, I didnt have therapy until the day after the block. This has just been a very frustrating experience, as I'm sure yours has been as well. Now, is your workman's comp case still open? If so, how do you get it settled? I dont want to have this open forever but I also dont want to have to pay for the treatments on my own. I feel like I am in a no win situation. When all of this first started after my injury and I was doing therapy, I really didn't complain a lot. Now, I feel like all I do when I go for my physical therapy is complain. I don't like this! To be so down is not me, to complain is not me, but I just don't know how to get out of this mode. Guess I need to figure out a way to just pick my butt up and keep sucking it up and dealing with it like I was doing to begin with!!! I thank the Lord for people in my life who I know pray for me daily! I just need to get my mind and eyes off the situation and keep looking up instead of down. Guess sometimes you need to just talk yourself out of the depression and put the right thoughts in your head instead of focusing on the negative.
I use this site for perspective. it helps sometimes (not always) but yes distraction helps, In regards to the block .. my PT and PM said no-way to PT after block as it could worsen the pain. I had to stay out of PT for 1-2 days.
The nerve blocks never worked on me but I would like o try them again.
I dont want the SCS or the pain pump. or a sympathectomy.
Im just looking for something non invasive to work.. I wish you luck

The following user gives a hug of support to painman2009:
jess731 (12-15-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
(female)

I guess their perspective on the matter is, do the physical therapy the same day as the block to get the most out of therapy since I have alot of pain while doing PT. I already have some atrophy in the back of my leg due to this and they want to get the leg moving more and try to increase the range of motion since I cannot move my foot at all in one direction as I can in the other. I still dont know what to do about the workmans comp issue.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

As far as comp goes. I suggest you learn about everything you need now and the future needs, see what comp is picking up, and see if any other insurance will pay for your dr appt,s meds. etc. Then make your decision. Acouple of years ago I would have said never settle but I have learned alot in these past few years. enough to know that some people might be in better shape settling with comp. as for me Im still collecting information and projected costs. for the future. like wheel chairs, ramps. motorized chair for steps. remodle for bathroom, new treatments in the future, medication, cost of living and so on. Good luck to you and remember "you" decide for you.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
(female)

Have any of you ever had a nerve block cause you more pain than helping it? I had a nerve block done and I had a hard time walking for quite a few days! I put up a couple posts about that and trying to figure out things about disability but I hadn't had any replies. Just wondering if it has happened to either of you.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
(female)

bryn481 HB User

I just had my third lumbar sympathetic block and it was the worst of all of them. Usually I have a muscle spasm at the end, but this time it literally felt like my muscles were tearing apart. I've also developed back problems from them.

Quote:
Have any of you ever had a nerve block cause you more pain than helping it? I had a nerve block done and I had a hard time walking for quite a few days! I put up a couple posts about that and trying to figure out things about disability but I hadn't had any replies. Just wondering if it has happened to either of you.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynhollis View Post
I just had my third lumbar sympathetic block and it was the worst of all of them. Usually I have a muscle spasm at the end, but this time it literally felt like my muscles were tearing apart. I've also developed back problems from them.
I am still having a lot of pain. It has been 2 weeks since I had my nerve block and I am having a hard time walking. I would start to feel better and as soon as I tried to clean my bathroom, it has left me hunched over in pain and unable to walk normal. I still havent been able to go back to work yet because of the pain. I finally hired a lawyer because of everything and I dont know for sure, but I think somebody from workmans comp was taking pictures in front of my house yesterday! Well, I know SOMEBODY was taking pictures because my husband saw him, just dont know who it was. I really do think it was somebody from work comp though since I havent been able to work and now I have an attorney and they are aware of it now. Either way, I dont care! I just want some sore of normalcy back in my life!!! I really do not want another nerve block again!!!!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
(female)

bryn481 HB User

My pain doctor told me that for a lot of people the first two blocks don't work and the third one is the charm. This sentiment was repeated to me by my regular doctor as well. I haven't had any relief yet either, but we took it as kind of a guide to where my actual pain channel may be. My doctor is currently discussing with my new neurologist as to where my pain may be coming from. He thinks it's somewhere in between my back and ankle. Maybe this is the same with you as well? Have you spoken with your doctor about the increased pain? They told me mine was just from spasms. Don't like the added pain though. How did yours start?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
(female)

I called them the day after the block that I was having a hard time walking. They returned my call the next evening and said that the doctor thinks it is muscle spasms. She prescribed some muscle relaxers and I go see her again on Jan 10th. I still have 2 more days of the muscle relaxers to take but I am still in alot of pain. I keep praying and I know in God's time, healing will come. All of this started 7 months ago when I tore 2 tendons. I have yet to have the surgery to repair the tendon due to the RSD starting. I have to wait till this is under control before they will do anything else. How about you? How did yours start?

Reply Reply