It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

AngChris HB User
RSD in Ankle, but have constant hip pain?

I have CRPS aka RSD in my left ankle. I have the sensitivity, constantly turning cold, changes color to a cadaver purplish grey, and constant pain. I had trouble with shooting pains for the first few months, but they have subsided. My injury was initially in January. I've done PT, lots of conditioning and exercises--swimming was painful at first, but helped the most--and I've tried neurontin, Cymbalta, and am now on Lyrica instead. I also tried a few spinal injections, but because they only provided very temporary relief, we stopped those.

The RSD seems limited to my left foot up to a distinct boundary on my calf. However, since a few weeks after the injury, I've experienced continual and now constant hip pain, which is inexplicable. I've seen multiple doctors and physical therapists. No one knows why my hips would be hurting. My worker's comp, which covers my foot, doesn't want to pay for anything related to the hip pain and is questioning me taking any more time off of work because they know I have hip pain, which they say is unrelated, and could be the real reason I'm off of work. I have no idea, personally, all I know is that I am constant pain. I never had hip pain before the injury. It's exhausting. I can't sleep, can't think clearly, I'm irritable, and can't do any of the normal things I used to do with my kids. I've tried working, but I'm in so much pain and am so exhausted and miserable after work that I'm useless to my family.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'd really appreciate any advice. I can't afford to be off of work and have no benefits, but I'm getting increasingly unable to handle it. My family needs me and I need my sanity.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
(female)

Sissymom14 HB User
Re: RSD in Ankle, but have constant hip pain?

Hi. My RSD started in my left leg and after a couple of years I was getting ridiculous unbearable pain in my left hip. It wound up being brucitis (?spelling). Have you gone to the Ortho about the pain? I got a few injections in the area but I guess since it was the same leg as the RSD it didn't work well... It actually made the RSD part a lot more painful (if that can even happen haha). The Ortho said the brucitis is from the way I walk due to the leg pain so in all your hip can very well be because of the ankle. I hope this helps. Fell well!!!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
Re: RSD in Ankle, but have constant hip pain?

I am in the same boat with you. I injured my left ankle at work six months ago and got RSD from that. Because of how I favor the ankle, I dont walk the same way which has caused hip pain. Workmans comp cannot prove that you are not off of work because of the ankle pain so really, they shouldn't say anything about the time off. Also, since more than likely the hip pain is BECAUSE of the ankle injury, it is all tied together! I would begin to consult with an attorney that specializes in work comp injuries and are knowledgeable about RSD.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
(female)

AngChris HB User
Unhappy Re: RSD in Ankle, but have constant hip pain?

Thank you both for replying. I've been to my pcp, an orthopedic doc, two different pain docs, and the worker's comp IME. I don't think they should be giving me a hard time about the time off either. I've tried going back to work, but it's just too much. In addition to the pain, I don't think straight most of the time. I feel like I've done everything they've asked me to do and everything I can do on my own. After I stopped going to physical therapy, I kept it up at home. I've also for an expensive gym membership and a personal trainer/nutritionist trying to figure a way I could still exercise without aggravating symptoms in addition to helping my body to recover. I've bought all new several kinds of shoes and inserts. I went a few months with no sugar, caffeine, or fatty foods. HUGE sacrifice for me! (Didn't help by the way--didn't even lose a pound either! So go ahead and keep eating your comfort foods.) Anyway, I feel like I've done everything I possibly can to try to get better. They need to just pay my worker's comp benefits. That's what it's for, right?

I wish you all comfort and undisturbed sleep.

Reply Reply