It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

tdwidner HB User
Unhappy Pelvic pain and swelling after Lower lumbar Sympathetic nerve block L3/4 area

I have been diagnosed with CPRS/RSD in my ankle/foot.
I had 2 nerve blocks in the L3/4 area. During the first block I felt a deep pain when he did it. Then after, I didnt feel right in my pelvic area on my right side. This happened on Feb 10th. On Feb 14th I noticed that I had swelling and pain between my hip and bikini line. Where your underware would sit if you were wearing bikini. Is it possible that this is related to the block? I have had CT with cont, ultrasound of pelvic area and internal ultrasound as well. This all took place in March. They said they couldnt find anything wrong with me. Well since then the pain and swelling has gotten worse and it comes and goes and when you put any pressure on that area it hurts for days. I have had my GI doc run a bunch of tests to make sure it wasnt something else and he ruled out any other organs in that area. I do not know what to do. Has anyone heard of or seen this? I am not sure what to do. The pain management doc doesnt think its related to the blocks. But the symptoms started right after the first one. Could he have hit something that would cause this for almost a year now? I am so depressed as I am hoping I didnt make my health worse by having these blocks.
Thanks, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Tara

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tdwidner
babyboomer6 (01-04-2013), jess731 (12-29-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
Re: Pelvic pain and swelling after Lower lumbar Sympathetic nerve block L3/4 area

Tara,

I hate to say it but it probably is from the nerve block. I have had three nerve blocks; one of them was in Aug, the other two were in December. The two in December were a week apart. The first one was WONDERFUL!!! It gave me so much relief from my pain and the only pain I was dealing with was from my ankle injury (torn tendon). When the pain and sensitivity started coming back, my pain management doctor wanted to do two nerve blocks a week apart plus my physical therapy the same day. So I did the block and physical therapy. I had more pain that week after having the block than I did before having the block. I couldn't wait for the second nerve block so that it would take away the pain I was having! Well, that second nerve block made it to where I had a hard time walking for over a week! I had it done on December 17th and as I am typing this, it is December 30th. I still have back pain and still have a hard time walking. If I do to much, I am in so much pain! I was not dealing with these things before the blocks. What I am thinking happened (and I cant say for sure because I am not a doctor), I think it just moved the CRPS up a notch. There are different levels with this disease. When I first started out, I was told I had a very mild case of it. Now, since I did these nerve blocks, not so mild! One of my friends has a very severe case of CRPS and what she told me is that this condition has a mind all its own. Sometimes when we do procedures, it will kick against it so to speak and instead of the procedure being a help, it makes it worse instead. Or....the doctor very well could have hit something wrong and of course, he isn't going to tell you that he did! Are you seeing a different pain management doctor or are you still seeing the same one?

Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
Re: Pelvic pain and swelling after Lower lumbar Sympathetic nerve block L3/4 area

Tara,

I hate to say it but it probably is from the nerve block. I have had three nerve blocks; one of them was in Aug, the other two were in December. The two in December were a week apart. The first one was WONDERFUL!!! It gave me so much relief from my pain and the only pain I was dealing with was from my ankle injury (torn tendon). When the pain and sensitivity started coming back, my pain management doctor wanted to do two nerve blocks a week apart plus my physical therapy the same day. So I did the block and physical therapy. I had more pain that week after having the block than I did before having the block. I couldn't wait for the second nerve block so that it would take away the pain I was having! Well, that second nerve block made it to where I had a hard time walking for over a week! I had it done on December 17th and as I am typing this, it is December 30th. I still have back pain and still have a hard time walking. If I do to much, I am in so much pain! I was not dealing with these things before the blocks. What I am thinking happened (and I cant say for sure because I am not a doctor), I think it just moved the CRPS up a notch. There are different levels with this disease. When I first started out, I was told I had a very mild case of it. Now, since I did these nerve blocks, not so mild! One of my friends has a very severe case of CRPS and what she told me is that this condition has a mind all its own. Sometimes when we do procedures, it will kick against it so to speak and instead of the procedure being a help, it makes it worse instead. Or....the doctor very well could have hit something wrong and of course, he isn't going to tell you that he did! Are you seeing a different pain management doctor or are you still seeing the same one?

Julie

Reply Reply