It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
(female)

loki2012 HB Userloki2012 HB User
Finally have an appt

I'm so happy I finally have my appt wit a PM dr! The 23rd, I'm anxious to go. Will he be able to tell me that day if he thinks I have RSD??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
Re: Finally have an appt

In my experience with PM DR's, they generally don't diagnose any conditions. They leave that to the dr that refers you to them. They just work on finding ways to reduce pain mostly via procedures such as injections, and sometimes medication. Although some PM drs won't prescribe any meds. The ones that do are extremely strict and place you on low dose long acting meds. Again, this is just my experience, others may have had different PM dr do different things. I thought I recalled you had a bone scan done to diagnose your RSD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynowthis View Post
In my experience with PM DR's, they generally don't diagnose any conditions. They leave that to the dr that refers you to them. They just work on finding ways to reduce pain mostly via procedures such as injections, and sometimes medication. Although some PM drs won't prescribe any meds. The ones that do are extremely strict and place you on low dose long acting meds. Again, this is just my experience, others may have had different PM dr do different things. I thought I recalled you had a bone scan done to diagnose your RSD?
I haven't gotten my bone scan yet, I'm assuming they do that at the PM dr. My OS is pretty sure of RSD that's why I'm being referred.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

I see! Well be sure to come back and let us know how it goes!!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynowthis View Post
I see! Well be sure to come back and let us know how it goes!!
I will let y'all know! How does the bone scan work?? What's it show?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
(female)

GutsyGirl HB User

Wishing you the best!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
(female)

it went ok i guess. i will have my first nerve block soon. after that pm can bettr have an idea if i have rsd or not.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki2012 View Post
it went ok i guess. i will have my first nerve block soon. after that pm can bettr have an idea if i have rsd or not.
You had an ankle injury before this, right? I had two torn tendons. My PM doctor ordered the nerve block first...step one for me. So I had the block done and like I told you before, it was wonderful!!! The only pain I was having after that was just from the ankle injury itself! Whatever underlying injury you have should be the only pain you experience (or at least that is what they are looking at). If the nerve block eases the pain like the burning and aching, then that will pretty much confirm the diagnosis. As for the triple phase bone scan, that didn't come till a little later into this. With that test, they are looking more at the blood flow. There really isn't anything to the test. You get injected with a nuclear med stuff and have the first scan which takes about ten to fifteen minutes. Then you come back an hour later and they do the second part of the test which takes about forty-five minutes. I really dont know why they call it triple phase cuz that's the only phases you have to do. This doesnt necessarily mean that you have it with positive results, nor does it mean that you dont. Again, just another piece in the puzzle. If all of these tests show positive, then it gives them the good idea that yes, this is what they are dealing with. My PM doctor made the final decision on the diagnosis. She also prescribed the Gabepentin and the Percocet for me. The Gabepentin has helped with the feeling of walking on glass and has somewhat helped the burning and aching but not totally. I wish I could say the Percocet was helping but really, none of the pain meds they have prescribed have helped. From what I have read, it is just a hit and miss thing and a "let's try this" to see what combination of drugs work. Just remember, what may work for me, may not work for you and vice versa. Just keep trying to stay positive and keep moving!!!!

Reply Reply