It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

loki2012 HB Userloki2012 HB User
Just a few questions since I am newly dx

I know I have been on this forum awhile but I was researching RSD because at the time I was told i could possibly have it, then I did get a dx of RSD in my right foot/ankle about a month ago. I take Gabapentin and Tramadol which do NOTHING for pain.

Ok first question: I have all the symptoms of RSD excpet for shiny skin and super sensitive touch...is that normal?

Second question: is there any other medication I can try instead of what i am taking now since its not working?

Third question: Over time will my rsd get worse?

My pain currently is fairly mild compared to most that I have read. I have the burning stabbing aching pains everyday...some days its a 10 others is a 5-8. I have constant swelling of my ankle,foot and lower leg. Just really frustrated about this whole thing right now.

The following user gives a hug of support to loki2012:
jess731 (03-20-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
Re: Just a few questions since I am newly dx

We've talked about this one before Loki. You can have the symptoms that you are having and not have the shiny skin and the sensitivity to touch. Unfortunately, that will come with time unless you go into remission. The reason they try to treat you so aggressively once they diagnose you is because you can go into remission with this if its treated within the first year. From what I understand, this can happen within the first two years of diagnosis. If the drugs they are treating you with aren't working, talk to your doctor. There are other drugs they can treat you with. Throughout this process, they will have to switch up drugs to see what helps. Best thing to do is just keep a pain journal...what are you doing that is causing pain, is there anything that you are doing that helps relieve the pain. Then share these things with your doctor. If something different happens, like a new symptom, write it down and communicate that with your doctor. Communication is key!!! I know this is a work comp injury for you and the best advise I can give you is to be patient and do what you have to do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewlz67 View Post
We've talked about this one before Loki. You can have the symptoms that you are having and not have the shiny skin and the sensitivity to touch. Unfortunately, that will come with time unless you go into remission. The reason they try to treat you so aggressively once they diagnose you is because you can go into remission with this if its treated within the first year. From what I understand, this can happen within the first two years of diagnosis. If the drugs they are treating you with aren't working, talk to your doctor. There are other drugs they can treat you with. Throughout this process, they will have to switch up drugs to see what helps. Best thing to do is just keep a pain journal...what are you doing that is causing pain, is there anything that you are doing that helps relieve the pain. Then share these things with your doctor. If something different happens, like a new symptom, write it down and communicate that with your doctor. Communication is key!!! I know this is a work comp injury for you and the best advise I can give you is to be patient and do what you have to do!
Im sorry I couldnt remember if we had discussed it or not my appology. Thank you for the advice, WC denied my second nerve block bc their drs deemed it was unnecessary because my first block didnt help very much so I am fighting this now.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki2012 View Post
Im sorry I couldnt remember if we had discussed it or not my appology. Thank you for the advice, WC denied my second nerve block bc their drs deemed it was unnecessary because my first block didnt help very much so I am fighting this now.
No, no...don't apologize. Guess it didn't come out how I meant it to. So your work comp denied it! What is your lawyer saying about it all???

Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewlz67 View Post
No, no...don't apologize. Guess it didn't come out how I meant it to. So your work comp denied it! What is your lawyer saying about it all???
My atty is going to appeal that decision and I have to get letters from my PM dr and my OS saying they dont agree with the designated doctors opinion that i have reach mmi and that i dont have rsd. I was dx by my PM dr AND OS that i do have rsd, so im just frustrated bc wc is being a pain in my side again. WC is just trying to get me off their payroll. With letters from my drs my atty can get me a new DD to determine if i have reach mmi or not.
My drs can request an alternate rating so I am going to call them tomorrow.

The following user gives a hug of support to loki2012:
SloRian (04-15-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
(female)

Iam Inn Pain HB User

Hi and welcome to the world of RSD. I just started this messsage board because my shrink wanted me to connect with other RSD. I was on Gabapentin for the firstfew months of being diagnosed. I went to Mayo in Phoenix and Scottsdale. They verified what my dr. was saying but wanted me to work up to a higher Gabapentin dose...2,700 mg / day! I don't even know how I worked some of the days. Tramadol was only used recently and I had awful halucinations and was extremely paranoid. I didn't like it at all. I told the migraine dr. and he just reduced the dosage, still the same. Next he put me on Topirama and it had the same effects. I guess I will just have to live with my cronic migraine syndrome. My RSD didn't respond to months of PT, I did the hot and cold contrast for over 9 months and finally stop. I tried friction therapy as well. I tried acupuncture and aapuncture with E-Stim (horrid pain and gave up after 3 treatments) but continued it for over a year. I lost my job because of it and I had a great work ethic and build up a great resume over the years. I was devastated. I haven't driven since June 2012. I feel my freedoms have all been taken away. In July of 2012 I had major back surgery and they fused and build cages up my spine after removing my old hardware. Surgeries for RSD patients is a huge risk. I know have awful pain just below the incision site all the way across my back. I don't mean to discourage you, but like you - I didn't know what I was in for and I didn't really want to know. I was in denial but all the while trying anything I could. The dr. at Mayo even prescribed a Topical Compound customed to me. But at $56 a same jar, I haven't refilled it since I lost my job. Also, the Dr. wanted me to change from Gabapentin to Lyrica 75mg 3x's a day. Recently got added Cymbalta 75mg to my meds. I am also on Rabazol for acid reflux which I have every day, but the meds have lessened it a bit. Just had shoulder surgery and cane only use one hand so I've got to stop. Please Take care of yourself. lj

Reply Reply