It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

gogogadgetmama HB User
Hello! New to the forum and might have RSD.

Hello, I fell in January injuring my right upper arm (triceps). I sustained a contusion. It really wasn't that bad. However, in February I started getting a horrible burning pain to that area. It feels as if my skin is on fire and anything that touches the skin makes the pain worse (moving air, clothing, etc). My PCP took x-rays and put me on a steroid taper, Lyrica, and Vicodin. My x-rays were negative. The Lyrica made me so dizzy I couldn't stand upright/walk so I had to DC that. After a month of being on Vicodin my PCP sent me to Pain Management who put me on Percocet, Neurontin, and a clonidine patch. The Neurontin is helping perhaps a bit but we're still trying to get me to the max dose as it knocks me out. The clonidine patch did not help. The Percocet worked a good bit but I had severe fatigue and nausea/vomiting with it.

So, now I'm on Nucynta 50 mg 3 times per day. I literally just took my first dose 1 hour ago. I'm going for a cervical MRI on Tuesday. The doc thinks this is either RSD or a brachial plexus issue. I work at a computer 8 hours a day and I'm in a lot of pain. I'm considering taking a short term disability leave. Doc says I might want to try a block (stellate ganglion). Has anyone had success with this?

Lilly

The following user gives a hug of support to gogogadgetmama:
jess731 (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
Re: Hello! New to the forum and might have RSD.

Hello Lilly and welcome to the board! I'm sorry to say but it sound very much like RSD! The Neurontin does help, at least for me it does. When I first started taking it, it made me tired and dizzy but as time had gone, I got used to it. Now I take 3200 mg a day. Let me tell you, if I miss a dose, I feel it!!!! The pain pills for me only takes an edge off of things but that's about it. I am on Percocet now but again, it doesn't really do anything for me. Unfortunately, there really are no tests to say you definitely have it or not but going by your symptoms, it sounds like everything that people who have it has! Mine is in my lower extremities and it is just now starting in my arm. I had a lumbar sympathetic nerve block which is like the block you asked about, only its in the low back where they do it. Anyways, for most people, it does help! One thing you will need to know, what works for one may not always work for the other. It's frustrating because the doctors cant say...ok, it you take this, you will feel better. Right now, I am waiting for this compound cream to come in for me. It's a combination of Neurontin, Ketomine, Lidocain, and two other things but I cant remember. It will be putting it on topically as well as taking the meds as well. I am really hoping that it will help with the burning. That is something you can check into with your doctor. It isn't anything that you can get from the pharmacy, there is a company that makes it and they mail it to you. They called me today to let me know that it is being mailed out today and I should have it in the next few days.
I hope, if you have the block, that it brings you relief!!! If I were in your shoes, I would try the block. My first block gave me 2 months of relief!!! Keep us posted on how you are doing!
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
chronic pain, crps, rsd