It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
Re: RSD and chronic pain syndrome

Ok, so here is what Wikipedia says about it and before I copy and paste it, I just want you to know that there are two different ICD 9 codes for this. Sorry, I used to do medical billing so I am used to this. haha

Chronic Pain Syndrome (CPS) is a common problem that is a major challenge to health-care providers because of its complex nature of poor etiology and poor response to therapy. Most consider ongoing pain of 3~6 months are diagnostic. A person may have two or more co-existing pain conditions or wide spread generalized pain. This condition is managed best with a multidisciplinary approach.

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), formerly Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) or Causalgia, Reflex Neurovascular Dystrophy (RND) also known as Amplified Musculoskeletal Pain Syndrome (AMPS) is a chronic systemic disease characterized by severe pain, swelling, and changes in the skin. CRPS is expected to worsen over time.[1] It often initially affects an arm or a leg and often spreads throughout the body; 92% of patients state that they have experienced a spread and 35% of patients report symptoms in their whole body.[2] Recent evidence has led to the conclusion that Complex Regional Pain Syndrome is a multifactorial disorder with clinical features of neurogenic inflammation, nociceptive sensitisation (which causes extreme sensitivity or allodynia), vasomotor dysfunction, and maladaptive neuroplasticity, generated by an aberrant response to tissue injury.[3] Treatment is complicated, involving drugs, physical therapy, psychologic treatments and neuromodulation and usually unsatisfactory, especially if begun late.[4]

CRPS is associated with dysregulation of the central nervous system[5] and autonomic nervous system resulting in multiple functional loss, impairment and disability. The International Association for the Study of Pain has proposed dividing CRPS into two types based on the presence of nerve lesion following the injury.
Type I, formerly known as reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), Sudeck's atrophy, reflex neurovascular dystrophy (RND), or algoneurodystrophy, does not have demonstrable nerve lesions. With the vast majority of patients diagnosed with CRPS being of this type, most of the literature thus refers to type I.
Type II, formerly known as causalgia, has evidence of obvious nerve damage. Type II CRPS tends towards the more painful and difficult to control aspects of CRPS; type II scores 42 out of 50 on the McGill pain scale [6] (however there is seemingly little or no data pertaining to type I specifically here). In Type II the "cause" of the syndrome is the known or obvious nerve injury, although the cause of the mechanisms of CRPS Type II are as unknown as the mechanisms of Type I. In type II it seems less likely that pain from the site of the original obvious nerve trauma will spread to other areas of the body for no apparent reason, as in type I; however established type II sufferers may be more prone to developing new areas of type II CRPS. For instance, a person with an established type II area of pain (for clarity, say somewhere in the head or face) is likely more prone to develop a new area of type II with, for instance, a herniated disc causing sciatica and low back pain. Timely corrective surgery for such a scenario, as well as proper pain control during the whole episode, may well be the difference between adding a new area of severe perpetual pain for a type II causalgia patient, or limiting the suffering to the original area. One could imagine how pain control could become difficult for such a patient when a new source of bad pain is introduced into the mix, especially temporary, resolvable pain--when the patient is already on pain meds to deal with the original type II pain.

Again, these are definitions by Wikipedia. So....RSD IS the SAME as CRPS and CPS IS a different problem. To be honest, I really didn't understand that it was until I did more research with it. To say in short, RSD (the term I prefer to use since that is what I have always known it as) is an extremely painful disease! CPS increases that pain even more! So we all know what we feel with it, now just magnify it even more! Here's the good news though....there is a God in Heaven who is able to heal the same body that He created!!! Do I understand why I, or any other ones of us, have this horrible disease...by no means do I. I still hold on to my faith in Jesus that says He paid the price for me and that by His stripes (the beating He received by a whip with metal sharpings on the ends of it) we are healed! It may not be in my time, but I believe that this will pass, and if it doesn't, I know that He will continue to give the strength needed to get through the rough days! Snowman, hang in there!!! You know that I am praying for you and I know He will bring you through! Don't give up hope! If we have no hope in us, then what do we have but hopeless depression and a feeling of total loss! God is able!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to jewlz67:
snowman2 (08-11-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
(male)

snowman2 HB Usersnowman2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewlz67 View Post
Ok, so here is what Wikipedia says about it and before I copy and paste it, I just want you to know that there are two different ICD 9 codes for this. Sorry, I used to do medical billing so I am used to this. haha

Chronic Pain Syndrome (CPS) is a common problem that is a major challenge to health-care providers because of its complex nature of poor etiology and poor response to therapy. Most consider ongoing pain of 3~6 months are diagnostic. A person may have two or more co-existing pain conditions or wide spread generalized pain. This condition is managed best with a multidisciplinary approach.

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), formerly Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) or Causalgia, Reflex Neurovascular Dystrophy (RND) also known as Amplified Musculoskeletal Pain Syndrome (AMPS) is a chronic systemic disease characterized by severe pain, swelling, and changes in the skin. CRPS is expected to worsen over time.[1] It often initially affects an arm or a leg and often spreads throughout the body; 92% of patients state that they have experienced a spread and 35% of patients report symptoms in their whole body.[2] Recent evidence has led to the conclusion that Complex Regional Pain Syndrome is a multifactorial disorder with clinical features of neurogenic inflammation, nociceptive sensitisation (which causes extreme sensitivity or allodynia), vasomotor dysfunction, and maladaptive neuroplasticity, generated by an aberrant response to tissue injury.[3] Treatment is complicated, involving drugs, physical therapy, psychologic treatments and neuromodulation and usually unsatisfactory, especially if begun late.[4]

CRPS is associated with dysregulation of the central nervous system[5] and autonomic nervous system resulting in multiple functional loss, impairment and disability. The International Association for the Study of Pain has proposed dividing CRPS into two types based on the presence of nerve lesion following the injury.
Type I, formerly known as reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), Sudeck's atrophy, reflex neurovascular dystrophy (RND), or algoneurodystrophy, does not have demonstrable nerve lesions. With the vast majority of patients diagnosed with CRPS being of this type, most of the literature thus refers to type I.
Type II, formerly known as causalgia, has evidence of obvious nerve damage. Type II CRPS tends towards the more painful and difficult to control aspects of CRPS; type II scores 42 out of 50 on the McGill pain scale [6] (however there is seemingly little or no data pertaining to type I specifically here). In Type II the "cause" of the syndrome is the known or obvious nerve injury, although the cause of the mechanisms of CRPS Type II are as unknown as the mechanisms of Type I. In type II it seems less likely that pain from the site of the original obvious nerve trauma will spread to other areas of the body for no apparent reason, as in type I; however established type II sufferers may be more prone to developing new areas of type II CRPS. For instance, a person with an established type II area of pain (for clarity, say somewhere in the head or face) is likely more prone to develop a new area of type II with, for instance, a herniated disc causing sciatica and low back pain. Timely corrective surgery for such a scenario, as well as proper pain control during the whole episode, may well be the difference between adding a new area of severe perpetual pain for a type II causalgia patient, or limiting the suffering to the original area. One could imagine how pain control could become difficult for such a patient when a new source of bad pain is introduced into the mix, especially temporary, resolvable pain--when the patient is already on pain meds to deal with the original type II pain.

Again, these are definitions by Wikipedia. So....RSD IS the SAME as CRPS and CPS IS a different problem. To be honest, I really didn't understand that it was until I did more research with it. To say in short, RSD (the term I prefer to use since that is what I have always known it as) is an extremely painful disease! CPS increases that pain even more! So we all know what we feel with it, now just magnify it even more! Here's the good news though....there is a God in Heaven who is able to heal the same body that He created!!! Do I understand why I, or any other ones of us, have this horrible disease...by no means do I. I still hold on to my faith in Jesus that says He paid the price for me and that by His stripes (the beating He received by a whip with metal sharpings on the ends of it) we are healed! It may not be in my time, but I believe that this will pass, and if it doesn't, I know that He will continue to give the strength needed to get through the rough days! Snowman, hang in there!!! You know that I am praying for you and I know He will bring you through! Don't give up hope! If we have no hope in us, then what do we have but hopeless depression and a feeling of total loss! God is able!!!
So CPS that I asked about in my thread is a separate entity as I thought the question I had is does anyone else have this but it's turned into an argument

Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
(female)

kyparesia HB User

I'm out of this one. No need to argue or become arrogant. I thought we are here to help and support each other????

Old 08-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyparesia View Post
Forgot to ask... what meds are they using in your blocks???
I'm not sure what concoction the doctors use it's directly put into my central nervous system and they sedate me when they do it for it goes into my back but I've stopped doing them because the sedation stopped working

Old 08-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
(male)

Quote:
I'm out of this one. No need to argue or become arrogant. I thought we are here to help and support each other????
I'm sorry if I responded inappropriately I'm just frustrated that doesn't excuse my response

Old 08-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
(male)

Smile Re: RSD and chronic pain syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman2 View Post
So CPS that I asked about in my thread is a separate entity as I thought the question I had is does anyone else have this but it's turned into an argument
Sorry I responded poorly I'm just frustrated and appreciate all the input and research you did I just felt like I was corrected more than informed on this thread I know everyone has there thoughts and opinions but if you look at the responses it wasn't very supportive but I'm not holding anyone to anything I appreciate all input even for sake of conversation yours has made a lot of sense so thank you all and keep up the fight and forgive my frustration

Old 08-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

Snowman, there is nothing you said that needs an apology! I wish I had more answers for you. As we have talked before, I know that what you are going through isn't my situation. You are going through a whole lot more than I am!!! Again, you are still in my prayers and will always be!

The following user gives a hug of support to jewlz67:
snowman2 (08-11-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #23
(female)

kyparesia HB User

Hi... How many blocks did you have? Sometimes it takes up to 10 to finally kill the pain. I had three so far. The best one was when my doctor put steroid in with the lidocaine or Marcaine. Marcaine works longer.....And as I said before, Neurontin in high doses has helped. Lyrica is for head cases! LOL
K

Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #24
(male)

Quote:
Hi... How many blocks did you have? Sometimes it takes up to 10 to finally kill the pain. I had three so far. The best one was when my doctor put steroid in with the lidocaine or Marcaine. Marcaine works longer.....And as I said before, Neurontin in high doses has helped. Lyrica is for head cases! LOL
K
I've had over a hundred with the same meds they would do one side then 10 days later the other side as you can't get both sides at the same time antically they where trying to kick it into remission because we caught it right away but that didn't happen and ya lyrica was an awful med

Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
(male)

JohnathanM HB UserJohnathanM HB UserJohnathanM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman2 View Post
Hello I've had RSD now for 2 years and now my doctors say I have unfortunately developed chronic pain syndrome and its to my understanding its creating more pain that is feeding on the pain that is a viscous cycle and very hard to break my question is does anyone have CPS on top of RSD for just when I thought this is enough there's more . And if so what are you doing to help yourself feel good
I'm sorry to hear this snowman2 and I know how you feel. I have the same thing. mine is in my right leg/foot/ankle and I've now been in a walking boot for a year and half or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnathanM For This Useful Post:
snowman2 (09-01-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
(female)

Sorry to ask this on your board Snowman, but Johnathan, when and why did they put you in a walking boot? Did they do it to help the RSD or was it to help with whatever injury you have/had?

Old 08-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #27
(male)

Quote:
Sorry to ask this on your board Snowman, but Johnathan, when and why did they put you in a walking boot? Did they do it to help the RSD or was it to help with whatever injury you have/had?
Sure just use my board lol just kidding that's what this is all about us being there for each other and learning

Old 08-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #28
(male)

Quote:
Sure just use my board lol just kidding that's what this is all about us being there for each other and learning

Old 09-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
(female)

LOL!!! Snowman, you crack me up!! Thanks for the smiles! :-)

Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #30
(male)

JohnathanM HB UserJohnathanM HB UserJohnathanM HB User
Quote:
No problem. They put me in the walking boot because my initial injury that then became crps was a severe sprain & even now if I walk without it & my cane it wants to roll in

Reply Reply

Tags
cps, flareups. fear, pain, rsd