It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Angry my husband needs a job ...

... and not for the reason you think (altho' living a tad above the poverty line would be good); no, we get on each other's nerves!! aaaauuuugggghhhhh!! ... b/c we're broke, and spend all day every day together ... it's awful (truly) ... he says mean things to me, and is more and more depressed every day (so breaking up would hurt him, you see) ...

aw nuts .. just had one of our nightly awful fights ... i'm getting fed up ...

jb

Old 04-23-2004, 12:36 AM   #2

noseyone HB User
Re: my husband needs a job ...

do either of you work?

that's one thing i could not stand...there's no reason he can't work, even if it's a low paying job.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 01:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: my husband needs a job ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseyone
do either of you work?

that's one thing i could not stand...there's no reason he can't work, even if it's a low paying job.
i'm on disability, and he's looking for something in hi-tech -- a victim of the hi-tech meltdown ... in his defense, he's so well qualified that we never thought it would take 8 months to find a job ...

but it's still awful ...

jb

Old 04-23-2004, 03:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts
i'm on disability, and he's looking for something in hi-tech -- a victim of the hi-tech meltdown ... in his defense, he's so well qualified that we never thought it would take 8 months to find a job ...

but it's still awful ...

jb

well, Sorry to hear about your troubles...I would go crazy with my fiance was home 24/7 with no job and to boot...Say "mean" things to you...It's not Your fault he's laid off....

Is he collecting Unemployment? Has he filed for an extention? Why doesn't he go work part-time somewhere, so he can continue to work even if it's partime...AND you can do this with collecting Unemployment.......
Is he networking? Been to headhunters? YES, I know too well about the job market because I too am unemployed & collecting unemployment...My Jot went Overseas..and I'm out of health insurance for the time being.

He's got to stay busy & focus that he will find a job...Taking his frustrations out on you is not going to solve anything...Also, even though your out on Disablitly...You took can work part time some place unless you can not get out of your house?

Good Luck

Old 04-23-2004, 03:56 AM   #5
Inactive

Salinas1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts

but it's still awful ...

jb
What is his IT specialty? What is his degree or certification level?

Old 04-23-2004, 07:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

excaliburgrl HB User

it's very frustrating in the job market today...i've been looking for months myself...but i think i would go crazy if both of us were home...looking for a job IS a full time job...is he looking much or not at all...

Old 04-23-2004, 07:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Has he tried IT temp agencies? Many companies have cut their IT staff and are using temps or contrators for work that used to be done in-house.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:35 AM   #8
Inactive

promisez HB User

Do some volunteer work. It will get you out of the house and I've found that half the time its the spouse that finds the contact for the new job. You never know who you will meet and that helps immensely when most companies hire word of mouth now instead of advertising.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

I agree, find some way to get out of the house for a while each day. Or send him out if he'll go. Let him do the grocery shopping for example. It can be difficult when couples spend TOO much time together. That is no excuse for treating you badly though. To me, there is a difference between him just getting on your nerves and actually treating you badly.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #10
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

He may need a job which will calm things around the house hold but do you really thing is going to stop him from being mean? You mentioned that you are Fed up....Well make a stand and let him know that you are out if he doesn't out the crap.

Whats the point of being treated like dirt? Is this because he is mad at himself for not having a job and the only way to make him feel better is crap on you?

This isn't a good guy and you don't need to be treated like this. So why are you?

Old 04-24-2004, 06:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by promisez
Do some volunteer work. It will get you out of the house and I've found that half the time its the spouse that finds the contact for the new job. You never know who you will meet and that helps immensely when most companies hire word of mouth now instead of advertising.
that's a great idea -- my thyroid's "gone south" on me, so i'm still a little weak (i usually post on the thyroid board), but i've been thinking of that, esp. with a theatre company that i'm familiar with ...

thanks for your help ...
jb

Old 04-24-2004, 07:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliburgrl
it's very frustrating in the job market today...i've been looking for months myself...but i think i would go crazy if both of us were home...looking for a job IS a full time job...is he looking much or not at all...
he's certainly looking -- the 'net is full of sites (contract houses, actual jobs) to which you can apply -- but it's sure not a "full-time job" in that respect ... so he gets up every AM and does his thing and then, oh i dunno, does his thing with contacting various contract companies, he had a personal ref. which he followed up toot sweet on thursday ...

we are now trying more "creative" measures ... he's made a list of everyone he knows in the computer biz, every contact, and is going to try calling them, but the thing is, he's quite shy so needs a "script" ... and on and on it goes ...

what kind of job are you looking for? my husband was laid off in the hi tech meltdown, and we always knew that was possible but it never occurred to us it would take this long!!

ah well ... thanks for answering -- i just get a little desperate sometimes ...

jb

Old 04-24-2004, 07:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo64
Has he tried IT temp agencies? Many companies have cut their IT staff and are using temps or contrators for work that used to be done in-house.
thanks for your suggestion, and yes he is trying ...

jb

Old 04-24-2004, 07:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlHarley
well, Sorry to hear about your troubles...I would go crazy with my fiance was home 24/7 with no job and to boot...Say "mean" things to you...It's not Your fault he's laid off....

Is he collecting Unemployment? Has he filed for an extention? Why doesn't he go work part-time somewhere, so he can continue to work even if it's partime...AND you can do this with collecting Unemployment.......
Is he networking? Been to headhunters? YES, I know too well about the job market because I too am unemployed & collecting unemployment...My Jot went Overseas..and I'm out of health insurance for the time being.

He's got to stay busy & focus that he will find a job...Taking his frustrations out on you is not going to solve anything...Also, even though your out on Disablitly...You took can work part time some place unless you can not get out of your house?

Good Luck

he's been to headhunters, networking, he's collecting unemployment, but what about this extension thing? (we're canadian) ...

but the "headhunters, networking" thing is not as much as he can, and sure not as much as i'd like, so we're working on that ... he made a list of his contacts this week, and see here's the thing: he nearly vomits at the thought of calling them (nerves), so we'll have to work on that too ...

thanks ...
jb

Old 04-24-2004, 08:44 AM   #15
Inactive

Salinas1 HB User

What is his IT specialty? What is his degree or certification level?

Closed Thread