It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

libbie6 HB User
what do you think of friends kissing?

I was just wondering what you all thought of the news about the two stars from the show "friends" (Jennifer Aniston and Matt LeBlanc, who are both married I guess) , who were photographed kissing and embracing outside a restaurant where they met for lunch or something. I don't think they were cheating, but it seems a little weird to kiss your platonic friend on the mouth. Unless you do that with your same sex friends as well!

What do you all think of that? Would you be ok with your signifcant other kissing their friends? I don't think it was some tongue lashing make out session, it was a quick smooch or a peck....... still seems a bit weird to me.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
(female)

Sunshine797 HB User
Re: what do you think of friends kissing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbie6
I was just wondering what you all thought of the news about the two stars from the show "friends" (Jennifer Aniston and Matt LeBlanc, who are both married I guess) , who were photographed kissing and embracing outside a restaurant where they met for lunch or something. I don't think they were cheating, but it seems a little weird to kiss your platonic friend on the mouth. Unless you do that with your same sex friends as well!

What do you all think of that? Would you be ok with your signifcant other kissing their friends? I don't think it was some tongue lashing make out session, it was a quick smooch or a peck....... still seems a bit weird to me.
Cheek yes, lips HECK NO. I suppose that if you are really close friends, then some might not have a problem with a little peck on lips, but I dunno... It's weird...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 04:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

In some circles I think that they don't look at kissing the same way that others do. It is like a cultural thing I think. Like I have this friend who is a male and is 65 years old. We had worked together for 12 years and then he retired. Whenever greeting me or telling me goodbye, he always gives me a little peck. There have never been any sexual feelings there. My ex bf once accused me of having an affair with this man. :rolleyes

Old 04-25-2004, 05:47 AM   #4
Inactive

promisez HB User

I think everyone in show business will do whatever it takes to keep their name in the news.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
(female)

libbie6 HB User

yeah, in some countries it is what everyone does, that's true. I have male friends though, and I can't imagine kissing their mouth, even if it was just a quick peck. I think I've never even kissed their cheek, I usually just give a quick hug.

Last edited by libbie6; 04-25-2004 at 10:29 AM.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

soulster HB User

I think in their case, they really have a closeness to each other that is unlike a regular opposite sex friendship, but not a relationship either... it is hard to describe... but I think it was innocent nonetheless... esp. if your married to Brad Pitt.. hello

Old 04-25-2004, 12:02 PM   #7
(female)

libbie6 HB User

well, like I wrote I don't think they cheated, it just seems a little strange. But you see a lot of people in hollywood doing that. Like at award shows and premieres, they kiss their friends on the lips.....

Old 04-25-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

If my fiance kissed Jennifer Aniston on the lips...I would be ok with that.
He can even kiss Jessica Simpson on the lips...But only if I can kiss Brad and Nick too. But,,,That's Hollywood...

Anyone else...on the lips...He better have good reason because they won't touch mine anymore...and He would feel the same way towards me.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:56 PM   #9

msloquacious HB User

NO WAY. Friends can hug, they can peck on the cheek, but a *lip* kiss is exclusive to me and my SO. If any of his friends (male or female, gay or straight, ex-SO or platonic) ever tried pulling that sort of stunt w/my BF, you can better believe there would be HELL to pay.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:10 AM   #10
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

A kiss is a kiss. It couldn't have been a goodbye or it could have meant meaning. They are human & if they get together then great. They know more about eachother than we know then.

The media and the show shows us a different side to thier personal life that we dont see. If there is an attaction that is somthing that they see with each other.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #11
Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User

Posted this on another thread, but felt it was even more applicable here....

Quote:
I think that any intimacy between a person in a committed relationship and someone outside of that relationship is cheating. Meaning a kiss, a romp in the hay, holding hands, or even very emotionally intimate conversations....
Those are the things that are supposed to be sacred between two people in a relationship (or between two consenting UNattached people). To share that with someone else undermines the importance and validity of these sacred moments.

Would I want to salvage the relationship? I don't know if I can answer that with the small amount of info in this scenario. I know I would be upset that my S.O. even put themselves in that position, let alone gave in to whatever temptation.....It is not the act itself that would be the problem for me. It would be the fact that my S.O. did not value the intimacy between us enough to NOT want to share that with someone else.....

Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 AM   #12

tigerboxer HB User

Oh dear.

Well, for a start: I have kissed with same-sex friends.... well, one friend and my sister ... The friend was just a spontaneous, affectionate thing, and my sister was an experiment when I was 10 (I didn't kiss anybody else till I was 17, in case they realized how unkissed and inexperienced I was).

I think that the main thing is that both friends read the same thing into a kiss. If a girl kisses a guy out of affection, then fine, but if he reads something sexual into it, then there's a problem.

I've gotten used to the Mediterranean habit of double-kissing even new acquaintances, and grown totally accustomed to men doing the same to each other, but a few years back I would have been pretty surprised. So, like everybody says, it's mainly cultural. Also, it's a lot to do with how well you know your friend. The friend who kissed me (back at college) was totally confident that I wouldn't read anything sexual into it. So I was cool about it. If, however, she had added a quick fondle and a leer, I might have been worried that she was attracted to me, thus ruining our asexual casualness - we took showers together when we were in a hurry! Actually, that's another good example - nudity - some girls are completely relaxed while nude in the presence of other women, some are extremely uncomfortable. Same for men.

So, to sum up - make sure you know your friend inside and out before kissing! And hide from the press, or you may be subject to discussions like this one....

Old 04-27-2004, 03:24 PM   #13
Inactive

Ninispjc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlHarley
If my fiance kissed Jennifer Aniston on the lips...I would be ok with that.
He can even kiss Jessica Simpson on the lips...But only if I can kiss Brad and Nick too. But,,,That's Hollywood...
I don't think it's exclusive to Hollywood. When I was a kid I went to a friend's birthday party and when she opened her gift from her parents, she went to her dad and kissed him on the lips. Some folks were just raised that way, some weren't. I personally don't think it's that weird. I don't do it, but I don't get too freaked by people that do. If my boyfriend kissed another girl on the lips, though, I don't know. I guess it would depend on how secure I was feeling in the relationship, and how he behaved around her otherwise, and that type of thing. But if he did this before I started dating him, I wouldn't feel like I had the right to try to make him stop for me.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:05 PM   #14

true615 HB User

It's interesting, I have some male friends who do kiss on the lips but the ones that do are gay. None of my straight male friends like to kiss on the lips. Maybe that's saying something. I don't know.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:30 PM   #15

tigerboxer HB User

To be honest, I don't know any straight men who greet each other with a lip-kiss except Russians. Maybe homophobism is more widespread amongst men; women tend to be pretty cool about showering together, for example. Hey, I have women friends who remark on my "pubic hairstyle", which freaks even me out. "Oh I see you've gone for the Hitler shave," etc. But I really love the fact that women are comparatively so relaxed with their girlfriends. I have several brothers and I know how uptight they can get about male relationships. Also, I don't think that lip-kiss greetings are exclusively homosexual; how many heterosexual women do you know that greet men that way, and vice versa? Because it's basically the same thing. Like I said before, I think it all comes down to how the other person interprets your method of contact. Otherwise, what's the difference between lips and cheek? Both are skin, both get food on them, and both are facial areas.

Just my opinion....

Closed Thread