It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004, 04:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Female older than male...

To me, it seems strange for a girl to date a younger guy.
I think maybe just because I never have, and my father is older than my mother... but it is generally normal and acceptable, right?
Some of my friends have been making 'fun' of me - 'toyboy' comments, etc..
I am 20 and I met an 18 year old boy. I just broke up ( 5 weeks ago ) with my ( older ) boyfriend of 2 years and now this new guy seems new and exciting.
I am in my third and final year of university, and he is just in his first.
I know he doesn't have a problem with it.. I just want to know what other people may be thinking.. I know it shouldn't matter.. but I am curious.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

excaliburgrl HB User
Re: Female older than male...

i'm married to a man younger than me...i'll be 24 next month and he's only 22....there's nothing wrong with it unless you are going to date somebody who will make you a statutory rape case...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Age & friends shouldn't matter when it comes time in meeting someone that you are interested in. Friends are great to voice concern on anything dramatic but as for teasing you shouldn't listen to them.

We were brought up with guys being older and taller than girls but things have changed alot in the past 10 years. More people are more open to whole that date and care for. If you like somone that is 18 and you are 20 then go for it...

Old 05-17-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

2 years younger is nothing! I wouldn't even call it an "age difference." Especially when you get older. I find it perfectly acceptable. I was dating a guy who was one year younger and everybody thought he was older anyway. Who cares? As long as you're happy together, don't let others dictate the rules. Look at Gwyneth Paltrow, she's 31 and her husband is 26. Not to mention Madonna and Guy Ritchie. Ok, so to give you an example from "real" life. My mom's friend is in her early 50s and she's married to a guy 9 years younger. He treats her like a princess. So, don't waste your time worrying about it.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

realguy HB User

Two years isn"t nothing,except when u get to be legal for alcohol,it might help to talk about that subject now if you guys like to drink.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:42 PM   #6
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by realguy
Two years isn"t nothing,except when u get to be legal for alcohol,it might help to talk about that subject now if you guys like to drink.

She can be a supplier . I am 22 and friends with people a few years younger than me meaning that most can't go to the bar yet. I have adapted well to it and don't have any problems. I think she will do just find if she like him..

Last edited by eightball61; 05-17-2004 at 01:45 PM.

Old 05-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran

JLKH HB User

Your family is probably just messing with you. My family jokes like that with my cousin who always seems to date younger guys (by like 5 years in age difference). We do it cause we know it annoys her but she knows that's why we do it so it's okay. It's all in loving fun.

Fact is 2 years isn't hardly an age difference at all. Sure if you are the partying type then when you hit 21 and he isn't this could be a little bit on an annoyance but it's not a problem big enough to really even mention. Life isn't about partying all the time after all.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. If you two are getting along, and love each other then just go with it! Don't let some society imposed "norm" get in your way.

And next time your family makes a joke, just joke right back. Tell them that if Demi Moore can do it so can you!

Old 05-17-2004, 02:35 PM   #8

LostInLove HB User

Im 28 and my boyfriend in 23. I was worried about the 5 year difference at first, but I quickly got over it. We hit it off from the first minute we talked and have spent almost every minute together since. He is the best guy that I have ever dated. He treats me like a queen and I love it. People give us crap all the time, but it is all in good fun. Actually we give each other crap about the age difference too. And my sister who is 22 date a guy who is 34. I think that as long as you like each other and things are clicking, it shouldnt matter. Just go with it. Most times you will find that just because a guy or gal that is your age or closer doesnt mean that he/she is mature and that you will be compatible.

Old 05-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #9
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInLove
I think that as long as you like each other and things are clicking, it shouldnt matter. Just go with it. Most times you will find that just because a guy or gal that is your age or closer doesnt mean that he/she is mature and that you will be compatible.
Rrrrrright On...Great advice and to the point

Old 05-17-2004, 05:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

LOL. Thanks everyone.
I guess the main 'problem' anyone could think of was the clubs/drinking, and here in Australia the legal drinking age/adult age is 18 anyway.. so it wouldn't get to be a problem.

Thanks again

Old 05-18-2004, 04:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Heck, I'm 29, and my boyfriend is 22!

Old 05-18-2004, 06:49 AM   #12
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenoctopus18
LOL. Thanks everyone.
I guess the main 'problem' anyone could think of was the clubs/drinking, and here in Australia the legal drinking age/adult age is 18 anyway.. so it wouldn't get to be a problem.

Thanks again

Well looks like that you are allllllllll settttt enjoy life...Its a great prize

Last edited by eightball61; 05-18-2004 at 06:49 AM.

Old 05-18-2004, 08:30 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

When I was 20 I was dating a guy that was 18. We dated for 4 years. He was truely someone I still hold dear to my heart. I also got the comments from the friends. Thing is, friends just poke fun, if he were older and balding they would probably make comments to. It all about who you want to date. I often dated younger men. To me they were more fun, exciting, and inexperienced. Theres nothing wrong with what your doing. You never know, he could be the one.

Hey, just look at Demi and Ashton Kutcher!

Old 05-18-2004, 08:36 AM   #14

LostInLove HB User

I joke with my bf that when he turns 24 I might have to trade him for a younger model. 24 is getting kind of old ya know. Then he kindly reminds me that I am nearing 30.... we just have so much fun together that I dont mind the age difference. He takes such an active role in my sons life too. Teaching him how to play sports and just spending time with him. He is a great guy and I am not going to let him go anytime soon.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:31 AM   #15
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInLove
I joke with my bf that when he turns 24 I might have to trade him for a younger model. 24 is getting kind of old ya know. Then he kindly reminds me that I am nearing 30.... we just have so much fun together that I dont mind the age difference. He takes such an active role in my sons life too. Teaching him how to play sports and just spending time with him. He is a great guy and I am not going to let him go anytime soon.
Thats the Spirit

Closed Thread