It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #1

dentalnitemare HB User
Angry How do you handle neighbors like these?

This is a long story so I'll try to make it short as I can,without leaving out the main detail of this situation.We live in the county there is no leash laws or any law on how many dogs anyone can own.Our neighbors own 12 dogs,at least 9 of them are a danger to our family we have a 4 yr. old.We have ask them nicely at least 5 times to please keep the dogs out of our yard they have tried several times to attack our child.We were just lucky enough to be around close or for the neighbor's little girl to see this about to happen.I have called animal control as well as the local police.All they say is to protect ourselves even if it means shooting these dogs.Well last week one of the dogs which is a dobermen was in our yard acting aggressive toward my dad and he shot at it.He did not shot the dog well the neighbor's 15 year old son has been giving us problems ever since.I hate to call the police because I feel we'll have even more trouble,but I fear for my son's life.These are just a few things that have happened since my dad shot at the dog.They have stood on their property line and threw rocks at his car.Got a dead snake out of the road and put in his garden along with putting the coals out of the fire they had blazing in his garden beside the plants and killed them.My sister lives in front of me and even seen them in the garden.When I yelled for them to get the dog before it bit my son the lady that owns them said that's a girl get them.My truck door was standing open yesterday morning when I got up,I belive they done it,but I don't know that for a fact.I believe that they were thinking of putting the dead snake in there instead of the garden.The snake was in the road in front of my house and I know it's the same snake that was put in the garden.They shot a gun right at our property line thank God my child wasn't outside playing,I know something must be done before someone is hurt.One more thing the dogs run loose all day and they pen them up at night and they bark and bark! The police said all they could do was come out and tell them to take the dog in so it wouldn't disturb others.What a joke! Any advice would be wonderful.Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 11:29 PM   #2

Elise57 HB User
Re: How do you handle neighbors like these?

You could put dishes of antifreeze around your property and poison the critters, but you would probably get yourself into more trouble. You need a lawyer. We joined a pre-paid legal service a couple of years ago. For $25.00 a month, we have access to lawyers. You can look them up on the internet or the phone book. There is no contract, just pay by the month. Keep in touch with the police, but don't let your neighbors push you into doing anything illegal. People like them get what they deserve, in the long run. Get some pepper spray and use it when the dogs come near your children. Good Luck!!

Old 05-24-2004, 05:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

I love animals and thank god I live in a state that has leach laws.
Since you don't, you should start looking into putting up a fence and they do sell those zapping fences to keep dogs away. 12 dogs is one too many to have unleased all day long and having a child near by is asking for something terrible waiting to happen.

Sorry, but that is the best I can think of.
Good Luck.

Old 05-24-2004, 05:44 AM   #4

marcen HB User

Don't poison or shoot the dogs...put up a fence like the poster above mentioned. I know it is hard but try not to get into shouting matches with these people. I would call animal control again and demand that they come and have a look at the situation, and talk to a lawyer as well. People like this shouldn't own animals.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
Inactive

Salinas1 HB User

Putting up a fence is a good solution, but may not be practical as the cost can be quite high. The following is a somewhat far-fetched and odd suggestion, but the easy suggestions are, well, easy to think of. Donkeys and mules (particularly mules) hate dogs. They can take a dog out in a heartbeat; I don't care what kind of dog it is. Mules are fun to have around and deadly to neighborhood dogs.

If you opt for a board fence, get a mule, make sure the fence keep the mule in but also will allow the dogs to slip through the bottom, then watch your dog problem wimper away, one dog at a time.

Perhaps more practically speaking, I would consider a two strand electric fence. Electric fences are the cheapest of all fences. Really not that much money hen looking at the grief you re experiencing. For several hundred dollars it would keep the dogs out.

Last edited by Salinas1; 05-24-2004 at 07:25 AM.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:58 AM   #6
Inactive

Blizzard45 HB User

What country do you live in? [removed]. Their dogs aren't the problem, they are. A lawyer here in the states would have big dollar signs in his eyes if he saw this. You'd make so much money from litigation you could afford a small island of your own in the Carribbean.

Heck over here you can lose your home loan just for hanging wet clothes off the balcony in some neighborhoods.

Last edited by Guardian; 05-25-2004 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Please choose words wisely

Old 05-24-2004, 09:26 AM   #7
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

A fence is a good idea but if you wanted to get back at them from a legal stand point start video taping these dogs and what they do. If you can get some hard evidence from these dogs or even what the owners are doinging get a lawyer and see what you can do. If noone want to0 help then it may be a time to move. ITs sad to say this but at least this problem will be solved.

Old 05-24-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinas1
Putting up a fence is a good solution, but may not be practical as the cost can be quite high. The following is a somewhat far-fetched and odd suggestion, but the easy suggestions are, well, easy to think of. Donkeys and mules (particularly mules) hate dogs. They can take a dog out in a heartbeat; I don't care what kind of dog it is. Mules are fun to have around and deadly to neighborhood dogs.

If you opt for a board fence, get a mule, make sure the fence keep the mule in but also will allow the dogs to slip through the bottom, then watch your dog problem wimper away, one dog at a time.

Perhaps more practically speaking, I would consider a two strand electric fence. Electric fences are the cheapest of all fences. Really not that much money hen looking at the grief you re experiencing. For several hundred dollars it would keep the dogs out.
Gzz, Salina...I'm glad I'm not your neigbor....You suggested Mules or Donkeys as PETS to kill dogs? Talk about extreme here.
Are you even allowed to have these as pets? I will have to cover my dogs ears tonight when I mentioned this to my boyfriend.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:11 PM   #9

dentalnitemare HB User

I live in the states.I live in Alabama,there are city leash laws just not in the county.We live on 2 acres so a fence would cost quite alot for us.The dogs got into our garbage the last two nights.I thought about giving them something to eat if you know what I mean!

Old 05-24-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalnitemare
I live in the states.I live in Alabama,there are city leash laws just not in the county.We live on 2 acres so a fence would cost quite alot for us.The dogs got into our garbage the last two nights.I thought about giving them something to eat if you know what I mean!

Set a camera up so you can get them for destruction of private property if the dogs destroy a lot.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #11
Inactive

Ninispjc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise57
You could put dishes of antifreeze around your property and poison the critters, but you would probably get yourself into more trouble.
OMG PLEASE don't do this!! Besdies, killing the animals in such an underhanded way will only escalate the problem. I agree that protecting your child is job one, but you shouldn't have to punish the animals for the sins of their owners. Look into getting a fence put up. Call animal control, and get on the phone and start hounding the offices of any and all politicians who can make change in the laws that will protect you and yours from these people and their animals.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #12
Inactive

Salinas1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlHarley
Gzz, Salina...I'm glad I'm not your neigbor....You suggested Mules or Donkeys as PETS to kill dogs? Talk about extreme here.
Are you even allowed to have these as pets? I will have to cover my dogs ears tonight when I mentioned this to my boyfriend.
She said she lives in the country in a palce with no laws to control animals. Based on this I imagine she is able to have an equine.

The way I read it, she has 12 pack animals roaming her yard with a young child about. I would much prefer a dead dog as a sacrificial example to the rest than a mauled and mutilated child that may come to be if nothing drastic is done. I'd rather see the animals set themselves straight than humans coming to who knows what level of violence. Remember, she doesn't have cute little fido putttering about. They have many dogs capable of great damage to life and property roaming free. This is not a good thing.

Last edited by Salinas1; 05-24-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #13
Inactive

Salinas1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball61
Set a camera up so you can get them for destruction of private property if the dogs destroy a lot.
I would be less concerned about property damage than I would about the safety of her 4 year old child. I imagine this is her biggest concern. A very unfortunate and maddening situtation.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinas1
She said she lives in the country in a palce with no laws to control animals. Based on this I imagine she is able to have an equine.

The way I read it, she has 12 pack animals roaming her yard with a young child about. I would much prefer a dead dog as a sacrificial example to the rest than a mauled and mutilated child that may come to be if nothing drastic is done. I'd rather see the animals set themselves straight than humans coming to who knows what level of violence. Remember, she doesn't have cute little fido putttering about. They have many dogs capable of great damage to life and property roaming free. This is not a good thing.
Hi Salina - for the sake that I'm being too lazy to look up "Equine" and think I know what it means...WHAT does it mean?

I agree 12pack animals is very scary with a child around.

Last edited by GirlHarley; 05-24-2004 at 03:49 PM.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:55 PM   #15
Inactive

Salinas1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlHarley
Hi Salina - for the sake that I'm being too lazy to look up "Equine" and think I know what it means...WHAT does it mean?
Sorry. Equines are any of the family of animals that includes donkeys, mules, horses, etc. I said equine only because it was word economy. I used one word instead of writing out mule and donkey. I am a lazy wordsmith on occasion.

Closed Thread