It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 10:07 AM   #1

sea_blossom HB User
Work Situation

I've been working at a locally owned store for about a month. I graduated this past November with a business communications degree. I eventually want to be a retail manager. I don't have much retail experience, so I got a job as a sales associate. The owner, my boss, and his two brothers own the store. The two brothers don't know much at all about the business. They stop in occasionally to see how things are going and to talk with the owner - they own a construction business as well. The owner handles most of the paperwork, and he has hired a manager who will eventually take over most of the business operations. One of the brothers, "Larry," was in the store last week. He and the manager were having a friendly conversation. I wasn't really involved, but happened to be standing there at the time. Larry started asking me why I wasn't laughing at his jokes or paying attention to what he was saying. I replied that I was trying to keep busy and started doing some cleaning. I don't know why he was asking me this, because I only talked to him once and hardly know him. They were discussing something that I wasn't interested in. Later, he tossed a candy wrapper at me and told me to throw it away - I tossed it back, and said "you throw it away." He then replied that I needed to be slapped. I didn't know what to say. He left and I commented to the manager that I did not like this guy. She kinda played it off, and said ignore him, he's like that, he's not here that often. She has said that he treats his wife that way, but that doesn't mean I am going to tolerate being treated that way. I'm planning on talking to the owner about it when I come in tomorrow. I don't know what to say because Larry is his brother. Maybe I'm taking this too seriously, but I don't want to be around this person. I feel like I should say that if it happens again, I'll file a lawsuit. But I'm afraid that it will affect my employment. I have mentioned to the manager before that I'm still going to be open to other job opportunities, which was a mistake because she told the owner who is concerned that I may duck out on them soon. I think he may talk to me about this next week, which would be a good time to bring up the other situation. I don't want to leave and would give notice if I did, but this job doesn't pay very well and I'm not getting the hours that I'd like. Maybe it would be better to leave instead of get into a dispute over this, but I don't want job bouncing on my resume. Any ideas on what I should do? I haven't had much work experience so I've never been in a problematic situation like this before.

Last edited by sea_blossom; 05-25-2004 at 10:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User
Re: Work Situation

YEP...either leave as you plan to. And YES, bring it up to the manager regardless that it is his brother. The guy was "flirting" with you and it made you uncomfortable. PERIOD. Going to file a lawsuit is a bit extreme if this was the first time he Flirting with you and made the Unprofessional remark that you need to be slapped. You are Very Smart to identifly that this is not the type of work atmophere you choose to be in.

There are many Retail Stores for you to work at - just remember, long hours, not so good pay, weekends & holidays...Beleive it or not, the Big Retail chain stores DO pay better then MALL retail stores including stores like Express, Victoria Secrets, Macy's etc....also The bigger chain stores offer better benifits and Zero Tolorance to Sexual Misconduct.

What's bothersome too is the GUY is married (not that it stops some married men) but was Offended too that you were not giving Your attention to HIM.

If the job is that bad, money stinks, and you wanna go elsewhere...YEAH, bring it up to the other owner tell him that is why your choosing to leave.

good luck to you.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Inactive

eightball61 HB User
Re: Work Situation

Well telling from the post this isn't your career job since you are not getting the hours you want nor getting paid a good wage. You are taking the right steps by telling a manager then telling a higher lever of management.

This is hard because this is a family own business like you said. Family own businesses are hard because they don't favor the outsiders.

At first it seemed he was flirting with you but he went way out of line by saying you need to be slapped. Its good that you realize that you are not interested in this guy.

Ignoring him is a good idea for the next time we walks in but its going to be hard to do that since he has allready made what he may think of you as a fooling around partner. You are there to work and he is disrupting you from that.

Talk to your boss and have him talk to his brother. If his brother continues to do things like that or more then it would be time to stand your ground by claiming lawsuit. It won't affect your job because there is laws to protect that but would you want to work at that business where they all hate you because they are family?

Last edited by eightball61; 05-25-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Closed Thread