It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
(male)

mrmagicmike HB User
Talking Love after a short period of time

Just wanted to get a topic started about everyones feelings on falling in love over just a short period of time. Lets say just a week or two or even overnight. Happy posting!

Old 05-26-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
Inactive

eightball61 HB User
Re: Love after a short period of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagicmike
Just wanted to get a topic started about everyones feelings on falling in love over just a short period of time. Lets say just a week or two or even overnight. Happy posting!

hmmm..."Love at first site"

There are some people that believe in this and there are some that don't. Love can happen at anytime but the real issue is are you "in love". It can be possible to love someone that you allready know well in a short period but I don't suggest moving quickly until you both are ready for a commitment. If you didn't know the person that well then you may think you love them but you need a lot of time to get to know this person better to see if the are the right one for commitment.

Commitment falls into the catagory of love but you need to have both inorder to be successful. Yes, love can happen early to answer your question. Whether if its true love then thats totally different. True love happens over time while you are with that person and sharing a special bond and hopefully turning it into a life thing. "Love at first sight" will tease you a bit; another words you meet this new person and you think they are everything you wanted until latter you find out its not true. Some relationship can go through those unsuccessful track to be successful but it very rare.

Hope I make sense!!!

So is there someone who you just met?

Last edited by eightball61; 05-26-2004 at 03:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

I can give you three stories of love happening fast and lasting.
My own I met Dh and the first three days we spent many,many hours talking. We kissed on the third night and I knew right then that he was the one. Though it took me two weeks to admit it to myself. I had gotten burned in a previous relationship and didnt want it to happen again. When i did admit it to myself I slipped and told him I loved him. When I realised what I had said I told him if he didnt feel it he didnt have to say it to me. Well two weeks later he did tell me he loved me. Not long after that he asked me to marry him. We got married three months later and that was 9 yrs ago.

The second story is my Dh's friend and my own best friend. Dh's friend wanted me to set him up on a date with one of my friends. I sat him down and asked him tons of questions so I could get a feel of who I should set him up with. They had their first date(double date with us) on Oct 16th. That night after taking her home and us returning back to the air force base dh's friend kept bugging me about her. He kept asking if I thought she loved him and how she would feel about him asking her to marry him. I told him to ease off and that I would talk to her in a day or so. Well he never gave me that chance and everytime he got off work he drove down to her house to spend time with her. They got married Dec 22nd of the same year...yep two months and 6 days after their first date. This year will be their 10th anniversary and they couldnt be happier.

The third story is my best friend's g-ma and g-pa. I dont know all the details but what I do know is enough. They met and two weeks after they met they got married and were happily married until his death a few years ago.

Love can happen fast but one has to have a realistic view on it and understand that it does work to make things work out.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 05-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User

This is a very interesting post...I wonder if it is possible to fall in love so quickly????

Old 05-26-2004, 11:55 PM   #5

msloquacious HB User

I think it's definitely possible to "fall in love" very quickly. However, *staying* "in love" or maintaining the love after that, is the question. Many ppl succumb to the whims of love's fancy, only to realize later on down the road that there are far too many idiosyncracies about their SO for them to be able to live with, for the rest of their lives.

This is why I always advise people to take things slowly, even if it "feels right" and all the pieces seem to fall into the right places. Falling in love can take only a moment, but marriage is a lifetime commitment.

My SO and I are about a year into our dating now, and we're going to take another year or two just to make sure that we're compatible (in the long run) before we plunge into a life-long marriage.

That's my take on the matter!

Old 05-27-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Ok, I have an example: my sister. Ex-boyfriend was behaving weird, disappearing for periods of time, etc, finally broke up with her. A few weeks later, she met a guy who moved into her building temporarily to stay with his friend while looking for his own place. They started hanging out, the next thing you know, they're engaged! He proposed after dating for about four months. When I first met him, I had NO idea it's going to be my future brother-in-law. So, it happens. Also, my friend's aunt had a guy propose to her after knowing him for three days. That was a very long time ago, they're now almost 60 and still happilly married. NOT that I think a three-day courtship is the way to go

Old 05-27-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
(male)

mrmagicmike HB User

Well I have fallen in love in a very short period of time. Hell it was only a few days and I knew that I loved her and the same goes for her. I asked her to marry me 3 weeks into the relationship and we couldnt be happier. I think its very posible to fall in love quickly! You just have to let your guard down and your heart lead you....

Last edited by mrmagicmike; 05-27-2004 at 07:30 AM.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Quote:
Well I have fallen in love in a very short period of time. Hell it was only a few days and I knew that I loved her and the same goes for her. I asked her to marry me 3 weeks into the relationship and we couldnt be happier. I think its very posible to fall in love quickly! You just have to let your guard down and your heart lead you....
Wow, congratulations! How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? It's great that it happened to you and I wish you lots of happiness with your fiance.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:53 AM   #9
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:

Congratulations also It is possible to fall in love quickley bu it doesn't happen that often. But in this relationship you couldn't be happier and thats all it counts.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:13 AM   #10
(male)

mrmagicmike HB User

I am 21 years old and am still in school at Tennessee Tech University

Old 05-27-2004, 08:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

21 years old--that's amazing. Are you not scared of commitment? Do you feel "ready" to be with one person forever? Was it difficult to make such a huge decision? I'm sorry for these questions, but this subject just interests me for personal reasons.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:26 AM   #12
(male)

mrmagicmike HB User

No didnt bother me at all and we talked a lot about it before I actually proposed. I wasnt looking for a commitment at that time but we hit it off so good I was totally comfortable making that commitment. It doesnt really bother me at all. I am very happy with my choice!

Old 05-27-2004, 09:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Well even young it can happen. I was almost 20 when I met Dh. When we got married I was 20 and he was 19 soon to be 20 himself.
My friend that I mentioned eariler was 18 and her dh to be was 21.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 05-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #14
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Its just the feeling when you are ready to make that commitment. I am 22 yrs of age myself. I would love to get married but I am not ready emotionally and financially. When all that comes together then I will seek the hand of marriage but it just depends on the person because we are all different.

Old 05-31-2004, 10:36 AM   #15

manofsand2 HB User
Talking Re: Love after a short period of time

This is interesting... Here's my story...

I am divorced and was alone for a year and a half. I was lonely, but I was also finally happy with my life and wasn't looking for anything. I met this woman online in a chat room one night and we really hit it off almost instantly. We talked online every day for a month before we started talking on the phone. I tried hard not to fall for her, but we were so connected it just happened. She told me she loved me and we decided to meet in person. We have been dating for 3 months and I couldn't be happier. I love her very much and she loves me. We both can't believe how happy we both are with each other in such a short amount of time.

It does happen and when it does, it is AMAZING. I am the happiest I have been in YEARS!

Closed Thread