It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Western USA
Posts: 1,774
Ninispjc HB User
Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

A couple of the other threads about men and women, bad boys and do women settle, got me to thinking...when the Washington D.C. sniper picked off 4 people, Hollywood delayed the release of the film Phone Booth, about a rooftop sniper who holds a cocky PR exec hostage in a phone booth, for almost a year. The did the same with Arnold Swartzeneggar's (sp?) Collateral Damage when the war got underway, and they did the same with "O", a modern day teen version of Othello, which was originally slated for Spring of 1999 release until Columbine happened. My question is this: in the midst of the Lacy Peterson case, the trial is getting underway, they just picked a jury, her husband is accused of her murder, in the midst of all this, why does no one bat an eye at Hollywood releasing The Stepford Wives, a movie that makes a big joke out of men murdering their wives? People were wary of releasing any kind of movie that featured New York at all after 9/11, in fact, some people were questioning whether The Day After Tomorrow was in bad taste. Any reference to school violence made around April is still in bad taste. So why is domestic violence still a subject that no one wants to speak out about? Why doesn't Lacy Peterson deserve the same respect? Why doesn't anyone stand up and say "hey, this poor woman was brutally murdered, her unborn baby still inside her, also murdered. A movie that makes light of wife-murdering won't stand right now as her husband goes on trial." Bear in mind, I haven't seen the film yet, but I've seen several clips, plus interviews of all the stars, and it's very clear it is a comedy, and if it is faithful at all to the original, the wives are murdered and replaced by pretty, obedient, subservient robots. Or am I just way off base here? Opinions?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-04-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,545
SophiaM HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Well, I think it's for a number of reasons. First, even though it was very tragic, the murder of Laci is not an event on the same scale as 9/11 or the Columbine school shootings. It's partially a matter of the media politics, but Laci Peterson and her husband are not public figures of the magnitude of, say O.J. Simpson, which I'm sure would have more impact on the movie industry decisions about new releases. The money generated by the movie "Stepford wives" is more important to the film industry than delaying the movie because of this murder case. Women get murdered by their husbands or boyfriends every day and the Laci case is just more publicized because it was particularly graphic and there was an unborn baby involved. So if they were to delay movies on similar topic for this reason, they would pretty much never get a chance to release one. This does not represent my opinions, I am only giving you a logical (though speculative) answer to your question.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ma
Posts: 9,639
eightball61 HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Mannnn This is why I hate Lifetime for Women & Opra ( no disrespect..I always wanted to say that)

I couldn't believe what happen when I forst heard of the whole story. I think its tragic especially for and the 8 month yr baby that wasn't born. This story does get and hit a lot of people emotionally. News stations & movies will keep to stories that will sell or get a lot of view. This Paterson case has been huge from the geko and thats why is as popular now as it was when it first happen.

Many movies are made throughout a lifetime. Some make it off to the big screen and some just never make it at all. Hollywood puts out what will sell. Right now movies with war, tragic horror happening to a big city, or anything along those line will sell. Why do they sell??? because of the graphic image. With our technology we can make the movie real and people want to see what it will be like if it really happen.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 74
fredrolin HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Just because a certain topic is today's hot news topic isn't a reason to ban a movie.
I am so sick of all this politically correct nonsense. Everyone is so afraid of offending someone.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,785
elatedgiraffe HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

I do see what point you are getting at, however movies would become non-existant. The movies you mentioned all had a huge impact on American lives--9/11 affected everyone. The sniper incident made people of America fear going outside. The columbine shootings people related to because children are involved, and unfortuately is was a big deal because it was the first upper-middle class mainly white school this happened to. Husbands murdering their pregnant wives happens nearly everyday in this country, whereas the above events are not typical. During the months the media only covered Laci's murder, at least 18 other preg. wives/partners were also murdered by their lover. It is an awful tradegy, but If we gave the respect to Laci as you are asking then we would have to give the same respect to everyone else. No missing children movies, no shootings in movies because people get shot/killed everyday and we should respect the families that are suffering, no bank robberies because the woman down the street was an innocent bystander during a brutal bank robbery 8 months ago, etc. I'm not making light of your opinion, however I agree with Sophia in that Laci's murder was not on the same degree scale as the other events you mentioned. Honestly, her murder is not something SO out of the ordinary. It was awful and yes, we should give it respect, but then we should give respect to every other victim in our world and just cut out any movie thats not rated G. Thats never going to happen, and thats why The Stepford wives is coming out.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Western USA
Posts: 1,774
Ninispjc HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaM
Women get murdered by their husbands or boyfriends every day and the Laci case is just more publicized because it was particularly graphic and there was an unborn baby involved. So if they were to delay movies on similar topic for this reason, they would pretty much never get a chance to release one.
That's exactly my point, though. 10 women are murdered by a husband or lover every day in this country. Statistically speaking a woman is far more likely to be murdered by her husband than by a stranger. I'm just wondering why so few people care.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Western USA
Posts: 1,774
Ninispjc HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrolin
Just because a certain topic is today's hot news topic isn't a reason to ban a movie.
I am so sick of all this politically correct nonsense. Everyone is so afraid of offending someone.
This is not an issue of banning movies or of political correctness. All I'm saying is, I'm willing to bet that right after Columbine happened, especially if you lived in Littleton, you would probably be hurt and you would probably feel disrespected if the town movie theatres decided to show a movie about a high school shooting that made a joke of kids being blown away by their classmates the day after Columbine happened. Or the day after the Oklahoman City bombing, you would probably have felt uncomfortable with a movie being released that made a joke out of a terrorist bombing of a governement building that made fun of all these people being blown sky high. So my question is, why doesn't this bother you the same way? Why don't you care about the fact that 10 women a day die at the hands of their husbands?

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 74
fredrolin HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Its not that I don't care about 10 women a day being killed by there husbands.
But with all the violence and bad things that happen in the world everyday I am conditioned to it and can't harp on it 24/7. It can drive a person insane.

Every movie or story is always going to remind someone of something.

Last edited by fredrolin; 06-04-2004 at 01:34 PM.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Western USA
Posts: 1,774
Ninispjc HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elatedgiraffe
I do see what point you are getting at, however movies would become non-existant. The movies you mentioned all had a huge impact on American lives--9/11 affected everyone. The sniper incident made people of America fear going outside. The columbine shootings people related to because children are involved, and unfortuately is was a big deal because it was the first upper-middle class mainly white school this happened to. Husbands murdering their pregnant wives happens nearly everyday in this country, whereas the above events are not typical. During the months the media only covered Laci's murder, at least 18 other preg. wives/partners were also murdered by their lover. It is an awful tradegy, but If we gave the respect to Laci as you are asking then we would have to give the same respect to everyone else. No missing children movies, no shootings in movies because people get shot/killed everyday and we should respect the families that are suffering, no bank robberies because the woman down the street was an innocent bystander during a brutal bank robbery 8 months ago, etc. I'm not making light of your opinion, however I agree with Sophia in that Laci's murder was not on the same degree scale as the other events you mentioned. Honestly, her murder is not something SO out of the ordinary. It was awful and yes, we should give it respect, but then we should give respect to every other victim in our world and just cut out any movie thats not rated G. Thats never going to happen, and thats why The Stepford wives is coming out.
I see your point, and I think you make sense to a large degree. But I guess what makes it stick out in my mind is that this particular case has been so high profile, and they just picked the jury for Scott's trial just this week and it's been in the news again. And also, TSW is not just about husbands killing their wives, but it makes a JOKE out of men killing their wives. Personally, I think this would be in bad taste no matter what was going on in the news, because even though there are plenty of movies that feature missing children, but few make FUN of children being stolen or killed. I guess that's what I see as the difference. I guess my question is WHY do people WANT to see a movie that makes light of such a topic as Scott Peterson's trial starts? Yes, I'm sure people will flock to it, but WHY?

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 606
CoreyP HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Fred, People sorry to get off topic again, Could you tell us on another thread how your long getaway weekend went??? Interested.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,785
elatedgiraffe HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

You will never know exactly why people flock to certain things. Why do people stop and "rubber neck" when there is an awful wreck? Why do they want to see mangled humans? Many people deal with life through humor. On T.V. it is very common that people poke fun of the murdered, the cheated on, etc. Gather up some kids and watch them blow away people on their video games and laugh until their cheeks hurt. Hell, turn on America's funniest videos and laugh when someone gets hurt. I'm not a big fan of violence, hate america's funniest videos and I know where you are coming from. Why don't people care you ask? Many are caught up in their own families and life. selfishness. Look at are economy--the poor get poorer and the rich are getting richer. Its a dog eat dog life, unfortunately. People take care of themselves and their family. If is does not affect them personally they don't care. Thats why people don't care about the movie coming out during Laci's trial and you'll loose years of your life trying to figure out why. Of course their are exceptions in the human race, mother teresa, for example, but most people are out for themselves and Laci is no big concern to them.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 01:57 PM   #12
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ma
Posts: 9,639
eightball61 HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninispjc
I guess my question is WHY do people WANT to see a movie that makes light of such a topic as Scott Peterson's trial starts? Yes, I'm sure people will flock to it, but WHY?

Our country is in a down time. Every channel you click on the TV has the bad happening...You barely see any good coming out on the TV. I have to put it on the comidy channel sometime just to escape the world for a laugh. I am not much of a TV person because of that matter.

Sure people want to be kept updated of tragic things but why can't they report the good?? I was watching ESPN last night and I was interested in the spelling Bee finals. It just amazed me to watch the emotions running through these kids but at the same time they were happy and proud to be there.

My point is why can't we have more happiness on TV? this movie that you speek of is in made in a cruel way but its throwing some laughter out there to enlighten people so the don't dread on the fear of this. We need more positive things in this world and thats what this movie is.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 02:19 PM   #13
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Western USA
Posts: 1,774
Ninispjc HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball61
Our country is in a down time. Every channel you click on the TV has the bad happening...You barely see any good coming out on the TV. I have to put it on the comidy channel sometime just to escape the world for a laugh. I am not much of a TV person because of that matter.

Sure people want to be kept updated of tragic things but why can't they report the good?? I was watching ESPN last night and I was interested in the spelling Bee finals. It just amazed me to watch the emotions running through these kids but at the same time they were happy and proud to be there.

My point is why can't we have more happiness on TV? this movie that you speek of is in made in a cruel way but its throwing some laughter out there to enlighten people so the don't dread on the fear of this. We need more positive things in this world and thats what this movie is.
I saw those spelling bee kids too, I saw that poor kid who fainted, but went on to spell his word correctly. Wheeww!! I don't know, I guess I'm just too sensitive when it comes to things like this, but I just don't see how making fun of wife-murdering is positive. I don't think this movie was made to keep people from dwelling on fear or whatever. I think the film was made simply because someone thought it would be funny to poke fun at all the issues this movie deals with, when 30 years ago, the same subject matter was chilling and tragic. I guess the above poster was right, most people only care about their own families. The sad part about that is, when this exact same thing happened to Carol Stuart, if more people had cared, perhaps the same thing would not have happened to Laci Peterson. And next year, or the year after, when the same thing happens to some other poor woman and her unborn baby, we'll say "ain't it awful" and go on about our lives and still do nothing to stop it from happening again.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 02:47 PM   #14
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ma
Posts: 9,639
eightball61 HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninispjc
I saw those spelling bee kids too, I saw that poor kid who fainted, but went on to spell his word correctly. Wheeww!! I don't know, I guess I'm just too sensitive when it comes to things like this, but I just don't see how making fun of wife-murdering is positive. I don't think this movie was made to keep people from dwelling on fear or whatever. I think the film was made simply because someone thought it would be funny to poke fun at all the issues this movie deals with, when 30 years ago, the same subject matter was chilling and tragic. I guess the above poster was right, most people only care about their own families. The sad part about that is, when this exact same thing happened to Carol Stuart, if more people had cared, perhaps the same thing would not have happened to Laci Peterson. And next year, or the year after, when the same thing happens to some other poor woman and her unborn baby, we'll say "ain't it awful" and go on about our lives and still do nothing to stop it from happening again.
I see your points and agree butI don't understand what the producers are thinking. The movie industry is all about the money though and they will go with what sells. Right now violence and war is selling very hot. Some of the newer movies like Harry Potter and Shrek and great to get us off that track but its going to take more than 2 movies to do it.

Even TV shows took a huge hit this season because they had an image that sex was selling but it didn't do well on that subject this year so it back to the drawing boards for somthing new.

Its all a Fab and once one movie or theme makes a huge hit (like sex, drugs, violence) then other have to try to make that same trend also. This keeps going and going until the profits stop.....For some reason the majority of us still watch it anyway.

Last edited by eightball61; 06-04-2004 at 02:50 PM.

 
Old 06-04-2004, 03:02 PM   #15
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Easton, Pa
Posts: 734
promisez HB User
Re: Why Aren't More People More Concerned?

Because common sense isn't common anymore
(The above statement need not be analyzed to death, ripped apart to be searched for a hidden meaning, is fat free, cholesterol free, neither smokes nor drinks, not high or low carb, not made dietetic with dangerous chemicals that would kill you before the sugar would nor implies any consent from the manufacturers, owners, film producers or whomever thinks they know what we want to see or read and will convince us to see it or read it with advertising millions.)

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
am I or aren't I? blp101 Bipolar Disorder 4 09-08-2009 12:17 PM
What to tell people Elizabeth1975 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 18 03-29-2009 10:00 AM
why aren't my kidneys the same size? shirlee1234 Kidney Disorders 3 09-22-2008 07:58 AM
Unsupportive people kellijhae Depression 0 08-05-2008 08:54 AM
There aren't any depressed people like me :-( ChangingMyLife Depression 27 10-05-2005 05:04 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Kszan (273), rosequartz (255), pendulum (172), Larrylou'smom (164), Seraph (156), cryingforever (132), CadenceA (131), lenvegas (100), writeleft (83), Ely4 (62)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1007), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (851), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!