It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 09:08 PM   #1

adzza HB User
How far away to be a long distance relationship?

As the title states: Just wondering how many hours travel is classified as a long distance relationship. You thoughts. (I am seeing a girl thats about 1.5 hours away).

Old 01-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User
Re: How far away to be a long distance relationship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzza
As the title states: Just wondering how many hours travel is classified as a long distance relationship. You thoughts. (I am seeing a girl thats about 1.5 hours away).
I would consider that long distance. Especially if you only see each other once ot twice a week. I dated a guy for over 2 years who lived and hour and a half from me and I considered it long distance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #3

adzza HB User

In my opinion, I would not see this as a long distance relationship....I mean there are people that have relationships that are 6+ hours away, and some are in another state! Some people would die to be just over an hour away from their loved one. I mean if there is an emergency, you could be there in an hour and a bit. When put like that, it does not seem that far at all......just my 2c on my thread.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

Ruby13 HB User

Probably depends on what you consider to be a normal amount of contact with your bf/gf. When I'm in a relationship, if it's at all serious, I usually spend a lot of time with my boyfriend so that we get to know and share each other's lives. If he lived an hour and a half away, that would mean I'd be spending less time than I normally would with him, so it's kind of long distance. If I normally spent 2 or 3 nights a week with my boyfriends, that wouldn't be long distance because it's drivable. I guess I'd say for me it's in between. Much different than having to fly and seeing each other once a month, but still kind of a hassle.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

heartlandguy HB User

If the distance affects how often the pair meets, it's an LDR in my book. When you reduce the amount of time together, it affects the relationship.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:44 PM   #6

adzza HB User

Yeah agreed. If it forces when people meet, I guess its a LDR. At the same time, I think a little distance is great cause it really developes trust, loyalty, and that real sense of missing someone, so that when you are with them, there is just no better feeling when you see that beautiful face after thinking about it and missing it for however long.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

heartlandguy HB User

The outcome of a LDR depends on the level of commitment a pair has for each other. Remember that both of you will have more access to attractive locals than your LDR partner. If the level of commitment isnít high enough, that can be the undoing of a LDR.

A LDR doesnít develop loyalty; it tests it. Take that into account when deciding what it will take to sustain your relationship. For instance, always leave her with something special to look forward to and follow through with it. (For instance; dinner and movie night, a picnic, etc.) Her anticipation of your romantic plans is your best friend in a LDR.

Last edited by heartlandguy; 01-28-2005 at 07:13 AM.

Old 01-30-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
(female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

I am in one that is about 3 hrs away. No matter the exact distance, if you can't see the person at the drop of a dime (daily i guess), I would say it is long distance. And yes, they suck majorly. You grow as an individual, but wish they were around to see it happen and give their support.

Closed Thread