It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User
i dont even know why im asking this...:(

My boyfriend perposed to me tonight, I said yes of course, but at the same time Im thinking of my ex. Im so scared I dont know what to do. I love my boyfriend I care for my ex, im so scared....Love is scary why!

Old 08-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
(female)

koala cute HB User
Re: i dont even know why im asking this...:(

It is certainly great news that he asked you and you said yes, but you should be thinking of no-one else. You should be floating on air, blissfully happy, ecstatic and more. If you are thinking of your ex, there seems to be a little problem. Why are you thinking of him? Were you married, are you remembering what it was like when he proposed? Exes whether married or not, sometimes leave a mark on your heart, and there will be good and bad memories, but your thoughts should be on your new fiance and your future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

thanks koala cute- I am happy about him asking me, I have been waiting for it. I know my ex Isnt someone I would want to marry. I think it just makes me upset that he's speaking to a certain someone who I disaprove of and from time to time he jumps into my life and fills my heart with un hopeful things.

I know he's the wrong person to be with, he has just made such an indent on my life and I hate that. I love my current man, and I look forward to our future but at the same time Im scared of it....

Old 08-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #4
(female)

koala cute HB User

Scary can be exciting, if you let it.
Think of all the things you will be looking forward to, planning. You both have a new future, to share together. I am so happy for you. Good luck with all those "scary" exciting things to come.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

thanks...I think it will take some time to hit that this is "offical" and that we are ment to spend our lives together....it will be difficult but pleasing. I just hate that my ex had me feeling this way. I know he makes me feel like like crap and someone that I could never trust or want to marry, but at the same times it upsets me to think that he's not w/a certain person other then the one he is speaking w/now.

I know I shouldnt even be speaking from him, granted it is time to time every few months, but I cant stand to see him with "her" why should this bother me? I know I have a better relationship with the guy im with now then I would ever have with "him"???

Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

eaglesgirl37 HB User

Do you think you might be feeling this way because of all the concerns and stress you've been through lately regarding his family? To tell you the truth, I think it would be a mistake to legally tie yourself to him and assume all the debts his parents have ran up in his name until he gets them transferred back to his parents or paid off. Unfortunately, you can't just marry a person and not become part of his family, and I don't blame you for being hesitant about that. You're still so young, why the rush to get married? There's really no reason to hurry down the aisle unless you're eager to have kids, especially because of all the drama and financial problems with his family. I would seriously consider putting it off until your boyfriend finds a way to get out from under all his family's debt and makes it clear to them that from now on, he will have no financial dealings with them and will not tolerate them committing any more fraud in his name. Or maybe you're subconsciously questioning whether he really is the one for you? I don't think you should ignore your feelings; you're thinking about your ex for an important reason, even though I doubt it's because you want your ex back. I don't mean to be negative here at all, and I wish you all the best, but I do strongly suggest taking your time about actually getting married and making sure you feel completely settled and certain about everything first.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

thanks eagle...we havent rushed getting married....we are still holding off, it's still all so new.

It just drives me up a wall because I know what I had with my ex made me misrable when i was with. I heard rumors of him spending time w/his ex. even though he'd come to me asking me to see him again. he has asked me numerous questions about our "future" together. He has always been there for me and vise versa but he has NEVER given me a reason to assume hes the one...

Im not rushing into a date date or marriage yet...it's just all so confusing and scary....

Old 08-19-2005, 02:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

realguy HB User

Anyone who thinks of another while being proposed to, shouldn"t have accepted the proposal. What your ex does and with whom he does it with shouldn"t concern you.
You mention how he comes into your life and mentions unhopeful things. What does that mean? You shouldn"t be hoping for anything concerning him. Whether the thoughts of your ex are good or bad, you shouldn"t be thinking about him so much. It will take away from your current relationship.
The accepting of your marriage proposal may have been a knee-jerk reaction. Your clearly not ready for marriage to anyone at this time.

Last edited by realguy; 08-19-2005 at 03:05 AM.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Piranna ~ I think Realguy and Stacy make some valid points. A marriage proposal shouldn't have you thinking about something you don't have or put any fear or concerns in you as it seems to be doing in your case. I think you said yes out of obligation and internal pressure. I am sorry to burst your bubble but if anything your yes should be with the knowledge that you see no one making you happier than the man proposing.

We all know your history and concerns with your BF & his family. And your reaction to his proposal not only has to do with your ex but also fears of having a future with a man who is in such debt and whose family has such control over him. Although you find it difficult to admit this, I think that this is exactly what you are struggling with deep down inside.

Marriage is a decision.....as is love. And it is one that you shouldn't take lightly. You have to look at the total package before you today and decide if this man who stands before you as he is today is the man you see spending our entire future with. If you are in anyway saying to yourself that with more time and enough love he will change and come around then you are making a huge mistake. Many people go into marriage thinking the same way and these marriages often fail. Please give this great thought. After having 2 broken engagements in my past I wish somebody had given me the same advice. Fortunately I figured it all out on my own.

It is not too late to follow your heart. As time goes on it will become more difficult to break things off. BTW....do you have a ring yet??? I always found it strange when you said you were engaged but not officially....so I can't help but wonder if you got a ring this time???

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 08-19-2005 at 05:35 AM.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:51 AM   #10

daria74 HB User

Think about it this way - do your memories of your ex fill you with feelings of warmth, love and acceptance - or insecurity & sadness? Which of the 2 men make you feel good about life and yourself when you think of them (& your pasts together?). I assume it is your new fiancée! Embracing thoughts & pining of your ex is to embrace the sadness that was ALWAYS a part of your relationship, even if your brain at times seems to just dwell on the happy times, or un-closed issues you may have had that you may think (probably delludedly) you 2 could have overcome. Who would want to hold onto that?
I dont know what your history with your ex is. All I know is my own experience with the difficulty in letting go of a relationship I could not "fix". The work involved becomes such an ingrained part of your mind, even when the "project" is no longer there, like an addiction, your brain wants to go back to the monotony of it, dwell on it over & over, how it could have been done differently - because it is what you are used to. It takes a lot of work to break that habit, like any addiction. Your old relationship was work - and while all relationship require compromise and effort - they should not feel like a job. Is that how things were with your ex? If so, dont even consider looking back! Dont deprive yourself of a happy future because of unfinished business that would have meant an exhausting life that always felt...unfinished!

Old 08-19-2005, 07:08 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

eaglesgirl37 HB User

Yes, Daria's post makes a lot of sense, but it is also important to keep in mind that this doesn't have to be an either-or proposition. It's certainly not as if these are the only two men you can choose from or that you need to make a final decision right now (after what sounds like only two serious relationships?) as to who is best suited for lifelong partnership with you. I'm glad to hear that you're not in any rush to tie the knot officially...I definitely think that's a smart move. Not just because I have a very tough imagining giving up on all other men and all other future relationship possibilities at your age when it seems that my romantic life is early along and still has a lot of growing left to do. Anyway, I don't mean to be a downer here, and I will be hoping that you are very happy no matter what partner you choose and when you decide to marry!

Old 08-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Dido_H HB User

Piranna

If you love your boyfriend, just go for it. I don't agree with the post that says when you get married you have to be part of his family. You and him can be an independent couple, and NO, marriage is not only for the sake of having children, and it doesn't make your commitment more or less than what it is to him as a BF. For me, it only means that your BF is very serious about you and him, and that's only positive when so many men prefer to REFUSE any such involvment. The only thing you got to ask yourself "Do you love him enough to be his wife?"

I think that what you feel about your ex is normal. Given this big decision that you've got to make, it's normal to look back and rethink of other people who were part of your life. But please move on...take the best out of what you and him had and never look back. Or rather, look back at the positive side and wish him well. By freeing yourself from any bitter feelings, you get over him and you become in control.

Best of luck for you Piranna, I hope everything works out great for you.
D

Last edited by Dido_H; 08-19-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

eaglesgirl37 HB User

I know marriage is not just for having kids and that you don't have to merge families, but in this particular case, if you'd read the other threads, I think you'd understand why I said that it will be impossible for Piranna and her fiance to extricate themselves from the rest of his family. They can only do so if her fiance is committed to their relationship first and foremost and determined to sever financial ties to his family. Otherwise, as a married couple, they will be both legally and financially linked to his family, who has a very troubling history of lying, manipulating, and stealing thousands of dollars from their son. If he won't take a stand and refuse to bear the burden for his parents' fraud, Piranna is legally considered family when it comes to the massive debt they've piled up in both their name and her fiance's name, which I'm sure they will continue to accrue until and unless her fiance puts his foot down. My understanding is that he has not yet done so, and though I hope he will do so soon, I fear that his parents' clutches may not be so easy for the couple to escape.

Anyway, I wanted to explain that my advice was most definitely not intended as universal or generally applicable, but specific to Piranna's fiance's unfortunate family situation. While I don't agree with the people here who advocate and venerate marriage for couples of any age, I understand that people have different opinions on such issues which are in large part shaped by their own experiences. I don't come from a background where anyone would consider getting married before finishing college and probably grad school as well. People from more religious, rural backgrounds with less emphasis on education and professional careers often have a substantially lower threshold for what they consider appropriate marrying age...neither approach is better or worse, merely differences of opinion. Marriage is a very personal choice that every couple should decide for themselves without having outside pressures or external values imposed upon them, and I apologize if my other post suggested otherwise. That said, the only real urgent need I see for marriage is if a couple wants to start having kids immediately...otherwise there's no reason to be in a hurry, and I think Piranna is wise to take her time before heading down the aisle. All I meant about the having kids thing was that if I was considering marrying someone whose parents had racked up thousands of dollars of debt in his name, I would make sure there was an urgent reason to do so and that I was 100% sure that I was making the right move before I assumed that financial (and potentially legal) burden.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:11 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Dido_H HB User

Yes I agree that marriage shouldn't be teenage marriage because there is a lot more to experience, and I am not sure whether Piranna is too young and in college. I have posted elsewhere that one reason that I delayed marriage is my PhD commitment (being last year I would like to devote most of my time to it, although I am 28 not 17 and despite the fact that my BF is a PhD student himself). I always thought that these two big commitments can't be reconciled. However, I know other PHD students with kids and families who are doing great in their studies. So yes, it is PERSONAL.

All I am trying to say to you Piranna is if you love him, everything else can be sorted out. Why don't you think of livinfg away from his family? I am not sure how practical this might be for you. Anyway, his proposal (even if you take your time to accept it or refuse it) shows nothing but complete respect for you as he thinks of you as a long-term partner.

Last edited by Dido_H; 08-20-2005 at 05:13 AM.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:11 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Piranna, congratulations!!! As far as the thoughts of ex, I think it has to do with the fact that you are feeling scared, not because you'd rather go back to him. I think a certain extent of fear before such a life altering even as marriage is natural. But, of course, only you know deep inside if your fears stem from the fact that you're not really sure your fiance is "the one," or from being reluctant to get involved in his crazy family situation, or if you're just plain and simple not ready for a lifelong commitment at this time in your life. I wish I could anwer these for you, but I can't. That's why I think it's good to take some time and stay engaged for at least a few months so that you can sort these concerns out in your head and heart. As far as your fiance's financial situation and the debt accumulated by his parents in his name (that is just so wrong of them!!), I don't blame you for being afraid of getting yourself involved in this mess. However, I think this can be solved if you and your fiance signed a prenuptual agreement that specifies that any debt accumulated by your fiance prior to the marriage is not your responsibility in any way. Now, I'm not sure if you can do the same during the marriage, probably not. I would definitely consult an attorney on this because it's a serious thing and can ruin your credit, etc. I know it might sound cold, but, hey, why should you have to take financial responsibility for these horrible people who are unfortunately his parents?

Closed Thread