It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
I just read....

I just read an article that said that 70 percent of males cheat on their wives/girlfriends. That article also said that one of the biggest signs of a cheater is one that tells you "I would never cheat on you". What do you think about this?

Old 08-21-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

eaglesgirl37 HB User
Re: I just read....

I wouldn't worry about the statistics, you can find a statistic to prove just about anything. It's definitely true that a lot of people cheat, but not a lot of people cheat in every relationship. When I have cheated in the past, it was because I was young, immature, and knew I wasn't with the right person. So please don't think there is no hope of forming a lasting, happy relationship in which both partners remain faithful. Rather than focusing on cheating as a universal phenomenon, I would strongly suggest that you focus only on your own relationship. The more honestly and openly you communicate about your needs, concerns, and desires, the better your chances of maintaining a successful, monogamous relationship. While there are some people who just can't avoid cheating, most people cheat only in some relationships, usually declining, unhealthy, or just plain unsatisfying relationships. Worrying too much about cheating can actually backfire because people who don't feel like their partner trusts them often feel alienated and like, well if I'm already suspected of cheating, why not go ahead and enjoy the benefits? The best way to avoid cheating, as I said, is to be as optimistic, positive, and trusting as possible, and also to make sure to maintain a healthy sex life and open lines of communication. Don't let statistics affect your outlook or influence your behavior...if they shape your decisions, you'll drive yourself crazy. Just do the best you can to be a good partner within each relationship, and hopefully everything will work out for the best. It's important to be realistic and not delude yourself that all relationships are successful, but it's more important to be upbeat and give your partner the benefit of the doubt as long as you have no reason to distrust him. Good luck and take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mada_3083 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone314
That article also said that one of the biggest signs of a cheater is one that tells you "I would never cheat on you". What do you think about this?
i disagree. i have used that line 1000 times before, and never once cheated. both my S.O.'s that have cheated on me gave no such line... merely let me find out the hard way once the act was committed.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #4
(male)

joep1016 HB User

I agree with Mada. I have been married for 21 years and have never cheated and I have told my wife that many times. You can't always believe everything you read.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:32 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

thghtsreal HB User

The population of the USA has roughly equal populations of male/female.

Thus, if 70% of the male population is cheating, it would make sense that a corresponding number of females are cheating. Wow - 70%! Ladies, stand up and be counted!

The only way that this could be otherwise is if all those men are cheating by having sex with a very small and common population of women who are servicing all of these men. That would not only be improbable, but it would very nearly be impossible.

Sometimes, you have to wonder where these statistics come from and who pays for them. I sure hope my tax dollars aren't involved.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

evy38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thghtsreal
The population of the USA has roughly equal populations of male/female.

Thus, if 70% of the male population is cheating, it would make sense that a corresponding number of females are cheating. Wow - 70%! Ladies, stand up and be counted!

The only way that this could be otherwise is if all those men are cheating by having sex with a very small and common population of women who are servicing all of these men. That would not only be improbable, but it would very nearly be impossible.

Sometimes, you have to wonder where these statistics come from and who pays for them. I sure hope my tax dollars aren't involved.

Good points, kinda blows that theory out of the water, doesn't it?

Old 08-23-2005, 01:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

mada_3083 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evy38
Good points, kinda blows that theory out of the water, doesn't it?
hmm not really... i dont think that it's improbable that a small group of women are servicing 2 or more of these cheaters... some women go after the whole taken men thing, and after all, as it's an affair there is no monogomy to worry about...

even if every woman involved in an affair was only in 2 seperate affairs, that would make 35% of the population of women involved to 70% of men... but dn't forget that the 70% of men would have to be 70% of men in a relationship to start with... cutting the numbers significantly, therefore the women could be sourced from the singles pool.

but i think the statistic refers to 70% of men AT ONE TIME in tHERE LIFE will have been unfaithful...

again... this could be taken up with the group of women that are attracted to attached men, or single women to account for any bias in the numbers... but in all honesty... i believe women are just as likely to cheat as men. certainly a higher proportion of my female friends have cheated on their Significant others than my male friends... this may only reflect the company i choose to keep though... not any hard and fast rules.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

thghtsreal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mada_3083
hmm not really... i dont think that it's improbable that a small group of women are servicing 2 or more of these cheaters... some women go after the whole taken men thing, and after all, as it's an affair there is no monogomy to worry about...

even if every woman involved in an affair was only in 2 seperate affairs, that would make 35% of the population of women involved to 70% of men... but dn't forget that the 70% of men would have to be 70% of men in a relationship to start with... cutting the numbers significantly, therefore the women could be sourced from the singles pool.

but i think the statistic refers to 70% of men AT ONE TIME in tHERE LIFE will have been unfaithful...

again... this could be taken up with the group of women that are attracted to attached men, or single women to account for any bias in the numbers... but in all honesty... i believe women are just as likely to cheat as men. certainly a higher proportion of my female friends have cheated on their Significant others than my male friends... this may only reflect the company i choose to keep though... not any hard and fast rules.
Mada, your theory would depend on the idea that every cheating male was having an affair with only one woman and that one woman is servicing at least two different men. This is unlikely.

A better probability is that the article was written by someone who needed data and either made it up or did a quick poll with a small group of friends sitting around a bar in a tavern somewhere. This is one of those male bashing pieces of data that make no sense and simply attempts to make males look like a bunch of roving sex-motivated beasts. The fact is that women and men cheat in about the same proportions. When it comes to polls about sex, some lie who say they do and some lie who say they don't and the other half are seventh graders who didn't understand the question, so I wouldn't put much stock in them.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 08-23-2005 at 04:15 AM.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

mada_3083 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thghtsreal
Mada, your theory would depend on the idea that every cheating male was having an affair with only one woman and that one woman is servicing at least two different men. This is unlikely.

A better probability is that the article was written by someone who needed data and either made it up or did a quick poll with a small group of friends sitting around a bar in a tavern somewhere. This is one of those male bashing pieces of data that make no sense and simply attempts to make males look like a bunch of roving sex-motivated beasts. The fact is that women and men cheat in about the same proportions. When it comes to polls about sex, some lie who say they do and some lie who say they don't and the other half are seventh graders who didn't understand the question, so I wouldn't put much stock in them.
well if women and men cheat in the same proportions, wouldn't it stand to reason that the figure could be true... as there are equal proportions of cheaters on either side of the gender gap.

i still think the stat is saying that DURING a lifetime, 70% of males will cheat at one point in there life.

but one thing we're generalising about is that each cheating man is cheating with A woman... i'm sure there is a proportion of people that marry to suit social image, but are homosexual.

another spanner in the works

Closed Thread