It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LostMyHeart HB User
What do YOU think

Can you really love two?
They say sometimes these things "just happen".
But I've always believed if you are in love with someone that's it. So even if someone else comes along you could potentially fall in love with, it wouldn't happen if you are really in love with the other, because that love should already leave you fulfilled. If you are already fulfilled, you would never even notice that other person that comes along, right? So how can it just happen? Is this concept real or are you just fooling yourself by believing you love both?

Old 09-08-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

OokieWonderslug HB User
Re: What do YOU think

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyHeart
Can you really love two?
So how can it just happen? Is this concept real or are you just fooling yourself by believing you love both?
You can't really love two people at once. Anyone who thinks that is just scared to own up to what they've done. People who allow a new relationship to start before ending the last one are selfish. They want it both ways. If you don't feel the same for someone, let them know and either fix it or end it. It's not fair to anyone to keep pretending.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User

Here's what i think..we are capable of loving all kinds of people at one time..for example ..i love my child..my best friend and my co-worker all at the same time. The thing is a "love" you give your partner is different..in many ways..there are attachments so to speak..that love includes..respect...honesty..loyalty..te nderness and whatever you and your partner have based your love on. We love our children in different ways then we love our friends and so on and so on. I think that if you have opened your self up to love some oneone on that level while already claiming to love another..something is missing from the equation. But let us not jump out of love at the first sign of "unfullfillment"..because then we just create a mess. And to me love is something you give..and by giving yourself to two people at the same time your hurting someone..so it's not really love. In my eyes. It is completely selfish and that is one thing love is not!! however i think that some people see it as loving two people because as you said they are fooling themselves.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:25 AM   #4
(female)

rainy_daze HB User

I actually believe it's possible to be in love with 2 people at once. (Not that that makes it okay to go for it or mess around.) People seem to think that Love is this impenetrable force that can't be brought down, but I really believe love is quite fragile.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

I think it's possible, it's not like one is being unfaithful if they have love for two. I do believe the love is different though. I have a "friendly" love for one of my ex's who knows i'll always be around if he needs me. I was one of the first people he called when his dad died, I spent a day with him when he came to town for the funeral, I was the shoulder he cried on and nothing more. But under no circumstances will I make it a point to speak with him or meet up with him while in another relationship.

I'm engaged and wouldnt do anything to jepordize that. So personally I think of it as 2 different types of love. And the love I have for my fiancee is stronger then the "friendly" love I have with my ex. And he is simply that an ex!

Old 09-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Hiya HB User

I think it's largely a choice you make. You may be capable of developing loving feelings for someone when you already love someone else, but if you really truly love that someone, you won't allow it to happen. Though people make mistakes, and they don't always know what they have until it's gone, or they may not be sure of their feelings. I dont' know if I'm making any sense, but yes, to make my point, I do think it's possible to love two people at once, but if you're mature and smart enough, you know when you've got a good thing and won't let anything mess it up.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

laurie864bla HB User

I believe you can have old love--a "soft place", someone you really trust, would be there is they had cancer etc.. and have what you think may be love but really lust for someone else. I do not believe that if it is true, reciprocated deep love, that this is possible at the same time with two people--in romantic relationships, that is. Does that make sense?

Like one is always "top dog" in your mind and heart, but one of a different level can invade...if you allow it to. I don't think it' just happens--you have given it time and energy if it happens, so that is not just out of the blue. A cop out for most people who have cheated is what I think that statement is. If you are in love with two people--you have allowed that to happen due to selfishness in my opinion.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #8
(female)

JustErin HB User

there's a difference between loving someone and "being in love" with someone. if you're "in love" with your significant other, you won't be interested or even notice anyone else. like you said, you'll be fullfilled.

Closed Thread