It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
(male)

lostsoul1 HB User
For women: Height

How much does height play a role in your selection for dates and/or sex partners. Does it affect your sexual attraction to a man? If the guy is taller than you, is that enough, or is there a certain benchmark that you won't go below?

And if you have dated men of below average height in the past, did it eventually become an issue for you? Thanks for any open and honest replies, no matter what side of the coin you fall on. In my opinion, there's no shame in admitting to having physical standards. None of us, men or women, can help who we're attracted to.

Last edited by lostsoul1; 11-16-2005 at 11:16 AM.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dewdrop333 HB User
Re: For women: Height

Lost .. honey ... you are very hung up on your height .. honestly for me .. it never mattered too much.

I am 5 feet tall .. I have dated a guy that was 5'3 .. married one that was 5'5 .... I dated a man as tall as 6'5 ... my current boyfriend is 6'1.

I am attracted to PERSONALITY .. and confidence plays a big part of that I think. All of the shorter guys I was with were comfortable with their height ... all of them mentioned that it was cool that there was a girl that was shorter than them .. but other than that it was never a factor.

There is a woman out there that likes EVERY TYPE of man .. tall, short, thin, fat, everything ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

lostsoul, I'm guessing you're asking this question because you're wondering if your height may be an issue. If that's the case, I really don't think you should worry about it. I'm 5'8" and to a lot of women, that's just not tall enough. But I've learned not to care. As far as I'm concerned, if a woman is going to dismiss me because of something so silly, then I'm better off without her. There are plenty of things about myself I would love to change, but I can't so I don't waste energy even thinking about it. This is me, take it or leave it. I'm sure there are a lot of women out there who insist on a man who's a certain height, just as there are women who insist on men who have a certain build or be of a certain ethnic background. One of the great things about getting older is that you become more open-minded. I know I'm certainly less shallow than I was compared to when I was in my 20s. If you're really interested in this subject, I'm sure you can find plenty of surveys online with more scientific results than what you'd get here. But when you do get them and you discover they're not what you hoped for, then what? I just hope you're not thinking about height too much. I'm sure there are plenty of other good qualities you have to offer.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Hiya HB User

Well, I'monly 5 feet tall, so a man shorter than me would probably be out for me, but height doesn't really make that much difference to me, either. I have a friend who's only 5'3", and he never has trouble getting women. He has trouble keeping them, but only because he's a bit self involved and kind of a player, but most of the women he dates are taller than him and seem to have no problem with it. IT's all in the personality.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Well I have been in love with Michael J Fox (5'4) and Howie Long (6'5)
Height doesn't matter - Personality does.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

I'm also only five feet tall so I'd never date anyone close to my height. I'm attracted to tall, beefy men, over six feet and 200+ pounds. The couple times I did date short men like 5'6", they had a big mouth like they were trying to compensate for their small stature.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

It really depends on a woman. I'm 5'7 and I have to admit that usually I am attracted to tall men, but I did date a couple who were 5'9 and it didn't bother me. I was a bit taller than them in shoes. But I don't know if I would date a man who is shorter than my height--honestly, probably not. I just don't feel comfortable if a man is shorter. I feel like a godzilla LOL. But there are some women who don't mind towering over their guys. Besides, there are so many short women, so even if you;re not that tall, you still have plenty of choices!

Old 11-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

As long as they are as tall as me I am cool with it. Ideally I prefer a man taller and bigger than me, I like feeling like "the cute little thing" next to my man. My hubby is 6'4" and 250, so he is about 11 inches taller than me and 120 lbs heavier than me, LOL - I love it, everyone says I look all cute and small next to him, and I feel all safe and protected.

But, I have dated guys that were the same height or just barely taller as me in the past and it was fine. I wouldn't date anyone shorter than me just because I feel like the man should be bigger. Same DEFINITELY goes for stature. I don't think i could be with someone thinner than me. That would be a blow to my own self-image

Old 11-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #9
(female)

WednesdaysChild HB User

Hi there,

I am a 6 foot tall lady and have spent a whole lot (far too much) of my life bellyacheing over not appearing dainty and feminine given my large structure and frame. For a long time I would only look at guys who were taller than me, and this became my quintessential criterion for selecting a potential date.

I am now 26 years old and have learned to loosen up and love myself a little more and also appreciate that height certainly has nothing to do with how wonderful, loving or compatible a partner may be for you. I have had boyfriends taller, shorter and of equal height of me and, granted, I tend to feel drawn towards taller gentlemen, but I do not dismiss shorter guys simply because of their height.

I do feel more feminine and secure with a taller, larger man, but I have found relationships with guys who are shorter than me to be very fulfilling as well.

Hope this helps.

-WC

Old 11-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
(female)

WednesdaysChild HB User

Oh! And I thought I should mention, my current boyfriend is 5'7"....usually about 5'6" though because he slouches.

And I wore heels to the wedding we attended this summer.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

glamourgal HB User

For me it really is all in the personality. I am 5'8 and I wouldn't have a problem dating someone shorter, unless THEY had a problem with it. I was the same height with heels on as one of the guys I dated and he would make rude comments to me about wearing heels because he had a complex and didn't want me to be the "same" height as him---he wanted to always be taller than me. In his opinion he was also ALWAYS right about everything and we would argue a lot (he NEVER wanted to compromise). Needless to say that relationship didn't work out . So, as long as the guy doesn't have a problem with it, then neither do I.

Last edited by glamourgal; 11-16-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User

For me, it's personality and confidence, much more than height! Besides, I read short men make better lovers because they try harder.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #13
(female)

Silver Lining HB User

I'm 5'6" and I prefer men to be at least 6'. When I was dating back in my 20's after I broke up with my boyfriend of 5 years, who actually was my exact same height, I didn't bother going out with anyone that was under 5'9 - 5'8 was the exception if they had a great personality and weren't very skinny. I just prefer the guy to be taller than me because I really didnít' like being the same height as my boyfriend, I hated not being able to wear sexy high heals without feeling like I towered over him. My fiance is 6'3, so I don't have that problem. But it really just boils down to preference. Just like some men won't date a woman who has small breasts. Some guys like very petite woman over athletic or heavier woman. All of us fall into a category that the opposite sex will not like about us - every single person on here does. It's all about preference.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

Ok, I have almost daily conversations with people about this one!! I am 5'8", but about 5'11" with my shoes on (dress boots that i wear EVERYWHERE)...height is VERY important to me...now I'm not saying someone is a better person becaus they are taller, but I am just not attracted to shorter guys. 6'3" for me is ideal, but I can deal with 6'. Below 6' is just not for me. I met this adorable guy in the summer (friend of a friend) who was 5'6" - now that is short by anyones standards for a guy - and although he was soo cute, i looked at him like he was a little puppy dog. I kept patting him on the head and telling him he was the cutest little thing (which he thought was amusing at first, but likely did not appreciate). I just cannot be into a guy that is almost half a foot shorter than me in shoes! On my online dating profile i make it VERY clear that I am looking for a man over 6', but of course get bombarded by "little guys" wanting to change my mind, or saying they make up for it in other places. I can't help what I'm attracted to. Same way some guys are into blondes, others are into petite women, I am into tall men. PART of it is because I am rather tall, but even if I were shorter I still feel like I'd go for bigger/taller ones! Boy, I'm passionate about this one as it seems to come up all the time!

SP

Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes100
For me, it's personality and confidence, much more than height! Besides, I read short men make better lovers because they try harder.
That's what I heard too, but cannot back it up by personal experience. My best two lovers happened to be over 6 feet tall, but I'm sure it's just a coincidence. I hate to say it, but I just LOOOOVE tall men! I was crazy in love with my first short boyfriend, and I still feel something for him, but I have to say, he was not the best in bed. I don't think it has anything to do with height, though. Also, my ex-roommate who was a very short guy, used to date this extremely beautiful girl and he was cheating on her. So now, I feel like some short guys might want to cheat just to want to prove to themselves they're desirable. Tall guys dont' usually have this complex.

Closed Thread