It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

steakie46 HB User
Couples who have broken up and gotten back together?

I was just looking to find couples who have broken up with or been broken up with and then ended up back together? how long were you apart? what got you back together? how are you doing now? are you still together?

Any happily ever afters out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GypsyArcher HB User
Re: Couples who have broken up and gotten back together?

Not for me, unfortunately. My ex and I broke up and got back together about four or five times during the course of our 10-month relationship. We clearly were not going to be good together, but neither of us really wanted to face that. I finally left him for my current boyfriend.

I think that if you break up and make up with someone that amount of times, something is wrong! Relationships, I've discovered, shouldn't be about drama and chaos and slamming doors. But then again, I don't really put much faith in relationships at all, period. So.

Did you just recently break up with your SO, and want to get back together again?

Edit: Oops sorry, I just read your other post. My bad!

Last edited by GypsyArcher; 01-01-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
(female)

nobodytotalkto HB User

Nearly seven years ago, I met Mark. I was madly in love with this guy Jose, but due to his family speaking a different language than I did, he wouldn't give me the time of day. We were close friends though.

Mark had just broken up with his girlfriend of 18 months. He started working at my place of work and I WAS NOT interested in him. Jose began dating yet another girl, and I was so upset, I began dating Mark. Not good, I know, but I wanted to make Jose jealous. (It seemed to work too). After two weeks, Mark's ex-girlfriend contacted him and he stood me up on our date (he was no longer sure if he wanted to date me if his ex was coming back into the picture).

I had no idea what had happened, and I got pretty upset. After a week, I called him up and he explained to me what had happened. We decided to just be friends. He was my first official boyfriend and I think it was an ego thing because all I could think about was getting him back. I started trying to make him jealous and sure enough, a week later, we began dating again. We ended up getting to be such good friends that Jose didn't matter any more.

We are still together. Mark and I dated for five years and believe me, we had a lot of hard times. (Trust and alot of issues.) But on our fifth year anniversary, we said "I DO". It will be our seventh year anniversary (second wedding anniversary) in April. We still have a lot of rocky times and a lot of times I feel like I married my best friend. That can be bad and good. Good - because we can tell each other everything, but bad - because I love him but am not in love with him.

Well thats my story. Hope it helps.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
(female)

Aalyisha HB User

i was going out with my bf for over a year and we had good and bad times but many problems in our relationship caused me too much upset so i ended it and we were broken up for 4 months and even though i still did love him and he would call me all the time i just couldnt let my self get back into that situation because he did not treat me the way i wanted to be treated and unfortunatley he mostly made me unhappy...so anyway it was about 4 or 5 months and i just answered a call to him one day and after that we met up to talk and boy did he talk!! he told me everything that i had previousley wanted to hear and we decided to be ''friends''. the only reasoni wanted to do that was to see if he really had changed and he had seemed to so we got back together and that was 2 years ago!

i would not say it is ''happy ever after'' or anything like it becasue i simply dont think that exists. we still have arguments and occasionally i still have to remind him of the time we spent apart to make him reaslise he is being an ***!

but to conclude---relationships are hard and for them to work we have to put time, energy,patience and love into them.
i love my bf very much but there still are times when he bugs me and the fact is his annoying little habits will never change so the question i had to ask myself was did i love him enough to put up with the good...and the bad and obviousley the answer was yes!!

Old 01-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
(female)

becca112 HB User

I have been with my BF for 5 years. We have split up 2 times in the 5 years of dating, the 2nd one recently in October for a few weeks. Somtimes I believe that couples need a break from each other, not that it is the best way to resolve issues. However, we are now ENGAGED!! He proposed to me on December 31st, right before the New Year! It's quite funny, the root of most of our issues was how non-committal he was...guess he proved me wrong! He is my best friend and I stongly believe that we are made for each other. I think that every couple has their issues and little fights...that is part of life.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I went back and forth with an old boyfriend for 6 years. We were on solid for the first 3 yrs and then off and on for the final 3 yrs. And,,,Ah,,, No. We are NOT together any longer. There was a reason we kept breaking up - We were NOT supposed to be together.
Awhile after the last break up I met the man who has been my husband for the past 11 yrs.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
(female)

Belledin HB User

My boyfriend and I have been "together" for 2 years, 3 months. I don't know the exact count, but we've broken up several times. The shortest separation was 2 weeks, the longest was 2 months. I really don't know what the outcome will be, since we're back on just 2 months together.

He's getting therapy now, and I see him working REALLY hard at our relationship. I'm so grateful for that. I'm trying hard, also. I know there are a lot of people who say that you shouldn't have to work so hard at a relationship, but in certain cases i disagree. I think that if both people decide they honestly want it, and work hard to not make the same mistakes you've made in the past, your hard work will make your successes feel so precious to you. sense of humor helps, too.

I think that sometimes your heart wants something, but your head doesn't. The same is also true--sometimes your head wants it, but your heart just isn't into it. to have a successful relationship, both your head and heart must want to be with the other person.

my boyfriend and I were the first kind--all heart, no head--there's a 10 year age difference, plus we're both super sensitive, afraid of committment, and afraid of abandonment (how's that for issues?). We sort of fell into our relationship without thinking, and I think we just both convinced ourselves that it would never work. We got into the habit of breaking up rather than resolving conflict (because hell, it can't work out anyway, right?), but then we were confounded to find we couldn't keep away from each other. in some weird way, I only realized how much I loved him when I was apart from him.

now that we're back together, I honestly can't say whether it will work out or not. I think that it takes a certain mindset of I WILL NOT LEAVE THIS PERSON. I know that i have it now. i hope he does too, but who knows. good luck.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

bluegreeneyeguy HB User

I have gotten back with an ex..........lasted awhile..........while I will say it was a good thing......the chemistry was never as good as the first time.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
(male)

vivs1234 HB User

I think,getting apart is a very difficult decision. I have been wid my gf for last 3 years.we broke up many times, but evertime we couldnt succeed. I had my own reasons to come bak, while she had her own. But I feel that basic things never change, and we face the same problems everytime despite all the promises and commitments. A good relationship in itself proves that love is there, while a bad relationship proves the lack of love and presence of other factors for driving the relationship, which is insecurity, guilt and factors like that.

Closed Thread