It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

Emilysmommie05 HB User
MsInspiration, please read here!!

HI! you previously replied to my post about my boyfriend being a JW, did you say you were a JW?? I went to one of his meetings last night to see what it is all about, and wow! it is so weird. They basically only study out of the Watchtower stuff and then they say they get all of there info. out of the bible. No they get all of there info out of these books, the put there own words into the scriptures print them in this book and then show you that it says that in the bible, and that is not right to me.they should be studying from the bible and thats it!! period. But my point for writing this is, i love him and i hate him all in the same, he used to be such a different person. and it seems this religion gets people who have had bad lives ( he had a teriible childhood) and make them feel better with all the love and support they give you there, so i don't think these people are really seeing the big picture, they just see how nice these people are and that makes anyone feel good, happiness is contagious, and if everyone is nice to you then you will want to be around them, am i right? How do i help him see what a crock some of the stuff they say and do is? Because he won't believe a word i say and i was raised a Luthern and always was at church and i do know some things. How do i make him see? what is the best way to go about it?

Old 01-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

shonks5 HB User
Re: MsInspiration, please read here!!

I know some things about JW's and if you are still interested in discussing this, I am not the person you were talking to, but I did study with them for a while, so if it is ok with you I can give you some info!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
(female)

MsInspiration HB User

Hi there,

I am not a JW. However I was in the church up until I was 13 (my mother is a JW and my Grandmother was), at the age of 14 I felt I was old enough to make my own decision and did not want to attend their meetings etc. I am now nearly 40, but because my mother is a JW I still hear (and remember) alot about their beliefs.

Like I have said I think the religion is almost cult like. I am not sure that you will be able to change what your boyfriend thinks. In fact because you are another religion they would think probably want to ensure that you do not sway your boyfriend into any other religion that essentially (in their view) is untrue and would "lead him astray".

I really feel for you, I am a mother also, and I can't imagine the hurt you must be going through. All the advice I can offer (unless you actually wanted to join the church yourself) is to give him space and time. Let him know that you love him and should he change his mind that you will at least hear him out when the time comes. The only solution I really see is that he will grow sick of how severe the church is and want to leave of his own accord.

In the meantime he needs to live up to his responsibilities and the law (which I am sure the JW should see is only correct) and start paying maintenance etc. If I may ask how old is your daughter? Because I am sure your boyfriend will try to include her in the religion.

Again a big hug - remember what does not kill us only makes us stronger!! xx

Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
(female)

Emilysmommie05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonks5
I know some things about JW's and if you are still interested in discussing this, I am not the person you were talking to, but I did study with them for a while, so if it is ok with you I can give you some info!!
Please any info. you have would be Great!! i am just so screwed up over this whole thing, and i really don't understand why these people do not see hoe ridiculous this it! It is basically brainwashing to get them to go door to door so they can bring in more people so the watchtower can make more money!! That is what i see, how about you, and fill me in on everything you know (if you do not mind)

Old 01-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

shonks5 HB User

Well, I know that they do study from the watchtower and they have a Bible that is a translation specifically for thier church. Thay do seem cultish to me as well. At first I really enjoyed studying with them and thought that everything they taught was biblically sound. Hoever the only thing they celebrate is the last supper, where only a select few partake of the sacrament. These select few are those who will obtain the glory of going to heaven after death. This is revealed in revelation to thier fathers from what I was told. They believe that 144 thousand are those that will go to heaven. The rest of us who do not go to heaven will stay and work to return earth to is paradaisical glory, and live on earth. The others who go to heaven will come and see us but only they will have the glory of being with God and Jesus in heaven. They do not believe in murder even for self defense. They believe that if someone breaks into your house you should not harm them even in self defense, therefore they would just sit there and be murdered. They will not allow any type of blood transfusion even unto the death of themselves or thier chidren. They believe that blood is sacred and should not be shared even if that means death. You should ask your boyfriend if he feels that these things are things he believes. Talk to him nicely about it and let him know your concerns and that you just want to make sure he will not feel let down by this church later. If he does not believe these things, let him ask them and find out. They will explain it. There are other wierd things about them as well. I thought at first it was great but then they don't even celebrate Christmas.... does your boyfriend feel that he should forego Christmas celebrations that may be a family tradition for him. It is sad to say but with a lot of religions there is more then what meets the eye and an intense study of thier doctrine is so important before becoming to at home and attached because it is a big let down. For someone who has been searching for a religion that they feel holds a certain home like feeling with a deeper doctrine it can be hard to face that they just are wrong, and your boyfriend may not want to hear or believe it. It may be hurtful to him, and the best thing if he feels that way is to be supportive, and research with him, letting him know you just love him and you care about his salvation. I hope this helps you in some way. If you have any other questions I can try to answer them, or help you find out. I have been through searching for something more in a religion and I know what it is like to think you found a great thing and you have not. I also know what it is like to watch someone else do the same thing and get very defensive. Remember though it will be hard for him if he does accept this to admit it, and he may just want to drop it... good luck.... Let us know how things go...

Closed Thread