It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Madam Captain HB User
Need some advice.......

I just found out that my sister and her husband have separated, after being married for almost 14 years. They have 2 children, aged 6 and 8. Most of the family had some idea that something wasn't right between them (over the last couple of years) We didn't want to pry, as it was really none of our business plus none of us wanted to interfere. I haven't spoken to my sister about this yet, as I just found out tonight (my Mum told me). I always told myself that if they ever separated, it wouldn't really worry me. However, this news gave me a shock and I'm feeling upset. I don't know how to approach my sister about this because I'm sure she will want to tell me herself. What do I say?? I've never had to deal with anything like this before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Hiya HB User
Re: Need some advice.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Captain
I just found out that my sister and her husband have separated, after being married for almost 14 years. They have 2 children, aged 6 and 8. Most of the family had some idea that something wasn't right between them (over the last couple of years) We didn't want to pry, as it was really none of our business plus none of us wanted to interfere. I haven't spoken to my sister about this yet, as I just found out tonight (my Mum told me). I always told myself that if they ever separated, it wouldn't really worry me. However, this news gave me a shock and I'm feeling upset. I don't know how to approach my sister about this because I'm sure she will want to tell me herself. What do I say?? I've never had to deal with anything like this before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Divorce is a very sad, traumatic thing, second only to actually having a very close loved one die. Your sister I'm sure will need all the love and support she can find now. How about just calling her and telling her your Mom just told you about the separation, how sorry you are to hear, and does she want to talk about it? Let her set the boundaries of how much she wants to talk about it, and how involved she wants you to be in the healing process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Madam Captain HB User
Re: Need some advice.......

Thanks for the advice Hiya. I will call my sister in a few days but right now I'm still trying to accept the news. I found myself crying last night and this morning, which I felt sort of silly about because its not really happening to me. I don't know why I feel so upset, as I sort of expected this to happen anyway but it was a shock nevertheless. I'm just so glad that my sister and her husband didn't fight about the separation, they dealt with it amicably and they are still good friends. My sister is going to councelling aswell so she is handling it sensibly. I hope her kids don't take it too hard.

Closed Thread