It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

MrZeely HB User
So someone please summarize the prom to me. (Strange question)

Well i was born in Poland and so were my parents, so my parents dont really know what a traditional prom is like. I didnt go to last year's prom because of some occuring issues, and this year its my senior prom and i want to make sure i dont make an idiot of myself because i have no idea about well...anything

Well first of all, the suit. Its fine if i just rent a suit right? Because im not the most formal guy out there so i have never worn a suit. Basically its black pants, a jacket, and a button up shirt with a tie underneath right? Other than that is there any part of the attire for the guy that i should know about, like i noticed some guys have flowers or something like that, is there any other traditional thing to have on?

As for the girl, i noticed they have that little flower thing on their arm (corsage i believe?), what does the girl exactly want? Is there any traditional kind, color, or anything that you get? Where do you buy one and for how much? Also, exactly when and how do you present this to her?

Now just can you summarize the entire events of the prom night? Like what you do first, where you go, when you present things (like the flower thing), then when you actually go to the prom what comes after that. And so forth. Just what should you do before prom, then what comes after the prom? This is the most important part, i dont want to screw up the order.

I probably have more questions, but thats all i could think of right now. Sorry for the strange questions just i never really looked into how it all happens, how you are supposed to act, and so forth. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Hiya HB User
Re: So someone please summarize the prom to me. (Strange question)

Well, I didn't go to my prom ( still a tremendous source of sadness and grief!) but there are some standard things that are tradition.

The suit the boy wears is called a tuxedo, and yes, you can rent one, in fact, it's almost unheard of for a high school boy to own his own tuxedo. play it safe and go with black, even though they come in different colors. PLEASE stay away from powder blue!!! What a lot of kids do is go in with one, two or three other couples and they rent a limousine for the evening. you pick up your date, and that's when you present her with the corsage. You buy them at a florist, or flower store. i don't really know how much they cost, but I'm guessing you can get a nice one for around 15 or 20$. You might want to ask your date a few days before the prom what color her dress is, and then you buy a corsage that matches her dress. They make corsages that either tie around the wrist or that you can pin to the shoulder of her dress. Wrist corsages are usually for dresses that are strapless. After you pick up her date, and her parents have taken plenty of pictures of the two of you in your formalwear, and you all pick up your friends in the limo, it's off to the dance, which is usually held in a ballroom, but every school does it differently. Sometimes there are after parties at a friend's house, or a bunch of kids rent a hotel room so the won't have to drive home so late at night if they plan to stay longer than the limo can stay or if they don't take a limo, but check with parents first. that's about it, though i'm sure some others can fill in more details. have fun!!!

Old 04-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

MysteriousGuy HB User

I am not going to prom this senior year either Hiya, I have no date or friend(s) to go with there.

But again, I honestly don't care much for prom.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

amy2705 HB User

Hiya has pretty much summarized it in a nutshell. But I thought I could add a bit.

1. What to wear:
Wear either a suit or a tuxedo. Ask your friends what they are wearing. If most guys are wearing a tux, then you can rent one too (this is the more formal option). If not a lot of guys are wearing a tux, you can rent a regular suit. Don't forget about formal shoes!

2. Flowers / corsage:
You get these at a flower shop. You should call and order it a couple of days in advance. Give it to your date when you pick her up. Hiya's idea of finding out what colour her dress is so that the corsage matches is a really nice idea. You can also get a matching flower to pin onto your suit. This is called a boutonniere (pronounced: boo-ton-E-air). If you want the boutonniere, you can order it at the same time as the corsage. They aren't expensive at all. Maybe $5-$10 (max).

3. Before the prom:
- First, pick up your date at her house!
- Don't forget to say hi to her parents, etc.
- Give her the corsage & ask her to help you pin on your boutonniere if you got one.
- Next, people usually go to a "pre-prom party." Then everyone gets a limo or sometimes a rented party bus (or whatever -- arrange some form of transportation) and go to the prom. If there is no party, then going for a meal with your date alone or with a group of couples is standard.

4. Go to the prom

5. After Prom:
Find out if there's an after party. Usually, someone's throwing party - either at a house or a hotel.
If there's no party, maybe organize something small. Or do something totally different - like go for desert somewhere, etc...
Make sure that your date is home safe and sound at the end of it.

Hope you have a great time!

Old 04-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

MrZeely HB User

Well, i DO know that we discussed about how we are getting to the prom. And we'll just drive, but we are not sure if we are going to go as a group with another couple or not. So if we dont end up taking a limo, how would things go down? Also, when is the "prom dinner" supposed to happen?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

MrZeely HB User

Whats usually the end time for the entire thing, like about what time should she be getting home and everything?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hiya HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer 77
Whats usually the end time for the entire thing, like about what time should she be getting home and everything?
It depends mainly on what time her parents want her to be home. I think the actual prom/dance will last until around 11p or maybe 12a or 1a. Then the after parties may go on much longer than that. Some people rent hotels (separate rooms preferably if you are not in a very serious, commited relationship ) and come home the next morning. Ask her what time her parents will be expecting her home.

As far as the pre-prom dinner, just before the prom starts, just like Amy said. Depends on what you want to do, if you want to meet up with friends or just spend the evening alone together.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Veronica_Mars HB User

People usually don't go home on prom night. It's all about the parties and hotels and limos, kind of like an awards show. The actual dance will probably be really lame, but if you go to dinner somewhere fun before and go to the parties after, you should have a great time. If there is any night not to worry about a curfew, it's prom night. I would think only really strict parents would try to make their kids come home early. I went to three proms in high school, and I never slept at home...I don't know if everyone necessarily has sex with their prom dates, but most people really go wild on prom night.

Closed Thread