It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nina000 HB User
House-warming/Birthday party: few concerns

We are moving to a new place, a lovely spacious flat in a decent part of the city and I am dead excited about that . I feel far better not because I am in control, but because I feel safer and securer having my own place. I so want to start fresh. He has given up the flat where we live and I told him that he can stay with me if he wants to. Despite all the downs/arguments/etc between us, he never once in three years asked me to leave HIS place. I also know now that he wants to be with me. If he was planning to pressurise me to go, he would have been pleased staying behind, but he chose not to. He said that he will help me with the rent and stuff.

I am planning to have a house-warming party that will coincide with his birthday too. I have got two bottles of very special Champagne and am planning to get some more drinks for the occasion but I am truely put off by the possibilty of him overdoing it. What do you think? How can we have a nice party and at the same time make sure that he doesn't abuse drinking? He promised not to, and he said that he's happy to forget about it altogether.

To make it worse, one of my closest work colleagues is an Alcoholic and I feel it's rude not to invite him over but don't know how to say that to him politely and without offending him? Many of our work mates avoid going out with him for this reason but he has been so good to me, helped me with moving out, etc...I really want a fresh start and I want to have a lovely trouble-free time, but not quite sure how to do that. It's difficult when it's your own place, and not just a public place when you can leave at anytime. Last time we were out he was literally legless and fell down.

Also, any ideas on how to make the party fun? Never organised one before and I might be inviting my new boss who I really really like. I have bought lovely candles, CDs, will order few dishes and cook some..I bought light-blue short jeans and a playboy dark-wine coloured lovely top . I have high healed embroidered shoes and I will be having my hair curly. I like the look but would it be appropriate to wear that? I have a balck and white splitleg lowcut dress that looks really nice. Should I wear that instead? Some people I am meeting for the first time. I am a very nervous person and parties are not my scene. but thi smight be the last time ever I spend his birthday with him, and I want to remember it in a nice way.

I appreciate any advice, especially on the drinking part.

Last edited by Nina000; 05-28-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
(female)

dolphin27 HB User
Re: House-warming/Birthday party: few concerns

I am not familiar with your story so I can only advice on the handling of the drinks at your party. My suggestion, and I've had quite a few parties at my own house, would be to just flat out limit the drinks. I would suggest not having the drinks out like on a counter or anything. But rather, if you are having a meal, pour the champagne into individual glasses, one for each person there that will be drinking, and let everyone have their own glass. Then later during the party. Personally go around serving drinks or take orders, maybe only a round or two, what ever you are comfortable with the "drinkers" having before it would go too far. If the coworker isn't happy with getting enough drinks, he'll probably just leave. After he would leave if you'ld like to set the drinks out and feel you could kind of watch your bf so he doesn't over do it go for it. Otherwise just keep it put away and only get it out to offer drinks when you feel it is ok. And if anyone gets out of hand, take the drinks away from them and ask them to leave. If they don't leave you do have the right to call the police for them disrupting your party.

Closed Thread