It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

MrZeely HB User
So my parents think im an idiot for wanting a small tattoo.

I just mentioned it today, i want a very small (two inchese) tattoo of a Polish eagle somewhere. Now they think im 10 years old and assume i want the tattoo because my friend has a few tattoos, but, i believe that his tattoos are really stupid because they dont mean anything or show anything. They just came out talking to me like im 10 years old, "Your friend does it, so you have to too?" and "You know its there for the rest of your life, right?", and mentioning other things that i already know. Then they just said that people with tattoos obviously dont care about their future and have no respect for themselves, and wont be making any life for themselves. They just said only stupid people get tattoos, and im stupid for even thinking it.

Now this is coming from my parents, still pretty prejudice (we're from another country for ****'s sake), and they always judge books by the cover. They wouldnt let a black friend of mine ever come over to my house, just because he is black, funny thing is that he is a better student and one of the most mature people that i know.

Now i would have been fine with them disagreeing, but them calling me stupid and making blind remarks about people they dont know just made me mad.

Like i said, to the other people who followed my other topics about Laura, i cant find anything good in my life anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

MysteriousGuy HB User
Re: So my parents think im an idiot for wanting a small tattoo.

Most parents are like that. They think it's a big deal, stupid, etc. So just suck it up and wait until you're 18.

Take it from a guy who have nothing good in life, I meant absoutely nothing, you have a lot of good things in your life. You got friends, that's one good thing right? You are able to be yourself, display your personality right? I can't and trust me when I tell you this, it does really SUCKS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

MrZeely HB User

Well, i AM 18. But as for friends and stuff, i have many, but most dont value our friendship at all. No girlfriend, and no shot for a girlfriend. The only people i can still care for are my parents, even after all this, so i will probably respect their wish. But i just hate how they are so ignorant, and make tons of blind remarks about EVERYTHING and EVERYONE.

I mean im 18, and i changed alot through high school. But honestly, i think i found myself in the sense of what i want to be like, what i want to do, who i want, and so forth (in the long run). I realize that a tattoo isnt going to just go away, and even if i were to get surgery it would leave a nasty scar, i realize that. But i want to take pride in who i am, and there is NO way to express it, i tried everything and it just doesnt work. When im 30 i will still have this pride, when im 50 i will still have this pride, when im 90 i will still have this pride (might look awkward, but thats who i am and it wont go away). That and its not like its a disgustingly huge tattoo, it would be two inches or LESS.

Last edited by MrZeely; 06-14-2006 at 10:05 PM.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Veronica_Mars HB User

Honestly, you need to realize that your parents are limited in their intelligence and vision, and don't do everything they say. Listen to the people and the advice you respect, but don't assume that older people are smarter or know what is best for you, because most aren't that bright. For instance, being racist in any way is completely horrible and despicable and probably the most ignorant thing I could ever imagine. However, tattoos are forever, and I would be sure you REALLY want it even when you are in your eighties before you let someone permanently ink you up.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

NitroChic HB User

How old are you? I agree with the other poster in that you need to wait till you are 18. I am not against tattoos, in fact I have 2 of my own. Didn't get them till I was 30 so I think "NO TATTOOS till your 18 or older" I have also limited the numbert of piercings my girls can have till 18... If you still want the same thing when you ar eof age, by all means....but DO.. please take into consideration that future employers may not be so fond of your skin art. Don't limit your future by getting a tattoo that is visible when normal work clothing is worn.

OOPS slow poster. I see that you are 18.

Last edited by NitroChic; 06-14-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

MrZeely HB User

I know that, i know everything involved that comes with a tattoo. But i mean you should know this Veronica, i dont have much to be happy about in my life, i try to force smiles on my face day in and day out. These are the only people who i can entirely respect, so i try to respect their wishes.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Well Lazer unfortunately like mysterious said you will have to wait until your 18 for that tattoo.I am 31 and I will be getting my first and only tattoo on my next b-day.Of course I agree your parents thinking only people with no life or success want and get tattoos is rediculous but they are your parents.I have to say though I probably wouldnt allow any of my kids to get tattoo's until they were grown.Yes it may seem hypocritical but I am a grown woman they are children.When they are of age to totaly make their own decisions and live with them all their own responsibility then fine.Just have some paitence you will get your tattoo soon enough.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Veronica_Mars HB User

OK I understand. Your parents are trying to look out for you, but they might be unfairly limited in what they think is acceptable. You need to be your own person and find out, then do, whatever makes you happiest. Tattoos are okay, just make sure you won't regret it later. My friend in college, who is well educated and intelligent, nonetheless chose to get the f-word tattooed across his chest. I'm sure his parents were thrilled about that especially after blowing a quarter of a million dollars on his college screw ups. I don't know if he regrets it, but I don't consider it a particularly wise choice on his part.

Last edited by Veronica_Mars; 06-14-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

MrZeely HB User

But look at what i want to get, a small two inch (or less) picture of the Polish eagle to express the pride of who i am. I cannot do this in any other way, i tried wearing a Polish eagle charm on my chain, i tried wearing a ring with the Polish eagle, clothing, everything. I just cant do it, and im proud to be who i am, and i just want to express that in some way.

This isnt exactly getting the f-word tattooed across my chest.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Veronica_Mars HB User

No, and I don't think you should necessarily not do it. If you are sure that you want that tattoo forever, then I say go for it. Besides tattoos are kind of sexy, as long as they aren't silly and tacky. A polish tattoo would actually turn me on if I saw it on a guy, but I get turned on by eastern european men in general. Anyway, live your own life, be your own person, but know that you must face the responsibilities and consequences of all your actions. If you truly want the tattoo, I'd say go for it.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

NitroChic HB User

You do sound like you know what you want, but I wonder if you are in the right fram of mind to make such a choice... you seem to be reaching for something that is missing in your life...a tattoo isnt it... think about it abit longer.. say till your birthday, or some other milestone in your life.. that way you can be certain this is what you want.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:28 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

MrZeely HB User

I've had this on my mind for a long time now, probably since back in last summer, and alot of the time i wanted it, but was contemplating. Then recently i just decided i want it, and im positive, i know what a tattoo is and everything, and i know even if i had it removed i would have a nasty scar there.

I dont even know though, like i said, its hard for me to do it now that the only people i can respect dont believe its right. But then again, this is coming from two people who dont let someone into their house because they have a different skin color.

Heres another quick funny story. I have had this one best friend since 3rd grade, and i mean i've known him the whole way and been friends the whole way. He recently got tattoos, yet, my parents dont say anything about that besides that they look a little dumb (which ill be honest, they do). They dont think he is an idiot, they dont think he is a lowlife, they dont think any of the stuff he said. I hate how their rules apply to some things, but not others.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User

You are 18, you don't need anyone’s permission to get a Tattoo. Just don’t let him start shouting! “Da Plane!… Da Plane! LOL

The approval issue is something you need to decide on who you want the tattoo to please.

When you get a tattoo, some people will start judging you by the color "on" your skin, which is really not much different than the color "of" your skin. This could be your parent’s real problem here.

HOOP!( Call me any four letter word you want, but don’t call me “Honey Bun” or “Sweetie Pie” … and definitely, don’t call me “RAY”!)

Last edited by Hoop; 06-15-2006 at 12:35 AM. Reason: waiting for Da Plane!, fixing my typos!

Old 06-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

MysteriousGuy HB User

Okay I didn't realize you are 18. Well if you have the money and are prepared to do it, then go for it.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

I agree with Veronica about the tattoo. When I was in college, I was working at a doctor's office and we got tons of calls EVERY DAY from people who wanted their tattoos removed. It's a very costly and painful procedure which leaves you with permanent scars (I'm talking about the removal). Personally, I would advise you against putting anything permanent on your skin, and even though I understand tattoos are supposed to be "cool" nowadays and no longer associated with a certain strata of society, I'm still not a fan of them. Why can't you express your pride in your heritage in any other way, I wonder? I have a very smart and well educated friend who got a small tattoo on her shoulder when she was in high school and now she's embarrassed of it (and it's not an embarrassing image per se). As you mature, you often change your mind about things, that's a given, so I would say it's better to not commit to a permanent thing like a tattoo at this time of your life especially.

Last edited by SophiaM; 06-15-2006 at 01:32 AM.

Closed Thread