It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

Diamond141 HB User
Re: Money issues

What if a woman owns the house. Then the boyfriend moves in. How much should the boyfriend contribute? How much should he do around the house to help? My boyfriend pays me 100/week. He is a carpenter, but doesn't want to do even any minor work on the house, unless I pay him for it, because it isn't his house. Does this sound right?

Last edited by Diamond141; 08-22-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond141
What if a woman owns the house. Then the boyfriend moves in. How much should the boyfriend contribute? How much should he do around the house to help? My boyfriend pays me 100/week. He is a carpenter, but doesn't want to do even any minor work on the house, unless I pay him for it, because it isn't his house. Does this sound right?
I don't know if 400 is ok in your area, although it seems low. It sounds like he is very cheap low man if he charges you for doing things at your home. In my mind he should do any man work at your house without saying, especially if he is capable of doing it. If you live at his house I bet you would clean and do other improvements without him asking you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

amy2705 HB User

Sure, it's alright if he wants to charge you for work he does around the house. Of course, following his logic, he won't mind paying you for what you do around the house for him! Last I checked "rent" included the roof over your head and nothing more. So logically anything beyond that is a "service" for which you should be paid - cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc. Of course errands will also incur a charge - picking up his groceries for example. And don't forget to include any overtime and an extra charge for "emergency" requests. Oh, and does he have a car? I wonder what the going rate is for a parking spot in your area. When I lived in a rental place, the laundry cost $1.75 per load (and another $1.75 for the dryer) - and that's if he does it himself. There's an extra charge, of course, if you do it for him.

In my opinion, he's being a jerk. Even if he wasn't living with you, you'd think he'd help you out with the minor carpentry work! The fact that he lives there at what seems to be a discount rent and won't do it is really low.

Next time he tries to charge you for his time, etc. tell him that's fine. Then tell him his rent's gone up to reflect increased home maintenance/improvement costs!

Last edited by amy2705; 08-22-2006 at 10:29 PM.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:30 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Diamond141 HB User

I live in the boston area and 100/week doesn't even cover my oil heating bill in the winter. I went over the bills and told him I wanted 150/week, and he told me he'd find another place to live. When he first moved in, he wasn't really working (my first mistake). Now he's making decent money , more then me, but he takes all his money and buys stuff for him, brand name clothes, toys, he just bought a boat. In the 3 years he'slived here, he's gotten nothing for us. He has no problem using all my things. No wonder i'm so bitter and angry all the time, I didn't know if it was just being irrational so I'm glad you think the same way so I have a right to be.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #20
(female)

browneyed-babe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyJean

Figure out the total amount of income after taxes the two of you make. Then figure out the RATIO of each of your incomes to that amount. i.e. he makes 60% of it and you make 40%.

Find out the total amount of bills you owe each month. (Figure in insurance for both cars.)
Figure out 60% of the total.
Figure out 40% of the total.

One of you writes the other one a check prior to each month.

It's called "parity". And it's fair.
I like this approach. It seem like a fair way to look at things. My husband has decided the other day that we should buy a house so once we do that his childish spending ways won't be as bad as we will have more bills to pay. He says he wants to get things moving on it as he realizes he is wasting money renting.

Closed Thread