It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User
College

College started up again and well pretty much had to deal with the same ole same ole spoiled brat attitudes I always have to put up with here. Basically these classes have a ton of group work in it and one of the groups was full of irritating people who would not listen to me and ignored most of my input. Which is typical at this college. People with bad attitudes everywhere. At least one guy was funny and friendly towards me which helped the borrrring and annoying time pass by.

Then the next class I had to get with another group of people and it was ok nothing bad stood out. Ok people so far. But I have to work with them for the entire semester.

Then I had to work in this other group in a different class and the people were nice but somebody in the group smelled horrible and I Nearly was getting dizzy from it. I ended up dropping this class because the prof was really boring and weird.

The other classes seem ok but I am taking this one business managment class and some weird person with a personality disorder is in there that I know from prior experience and she drives me insane with her arrogance and so I've decided to steer clear of her, even though by accident I sat next to her! haha (like a scene straight out of a sitcom) so next time I be sure to move to another side of the class. This class looks difficult though. I did get a guys email address so that I can work in a group with him for this class and so far he has not answered his email - so I have a feeling that he faked the email address. I don't know what it is about me but people just do not like me. I should do stand up comedy. Literally I've allready gotten down about 20 minutes worth of stand up material written down

Basically again I feel awkward and not accepted by some people and this bothers me. It always has bothered me. Basically I am insecure but that is the fault of my environment and the prejudice I have to face everyday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bulletproof HB User
Re: College

Is it possible that you are rejecting people (perhaps even subconsciously) before they even get a chance to reject you? By that I mean that there are a lot of signals that people give out when they are uncomfortable or wary of a situation, and others pick up on those signals. It could be that people don't dislike you at all, but instead feel as though you dislike them.

I can't imagine what it is like to be living in a country that is not my own, and I believe you when you say that prejudice exists. But try, if you can, to take responsibility for some of the reactions you've gotten. By saying that it is the environment's fault that you are insecure, you are absolving yourself of all blame. Security has to come from inside you.

It also strikes me as ironic that you stated how boring and annoying something was, and then cited others' bad attitudes. Be really careful that the bad attitude is not your own. Maybe this school year can be very different for you, if you view it with the proper perspective. Keep writing here to vent and let everyone help you with their insights.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
(male)

caladbolg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof
It also strikes me as ironic that you stated how boring and annoying something was, and then cited others' bad attitudes. Be really careful that the bad attitude is not your own.
More hypocritical than ironic. You spent 3/4 of your post complaining about others' arrogance, smell, and attitude, yet the point of your post was about how you're against the prejudice that's present in today's society? You're a contributor.

Last edited by caladbolg; 08-30-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

strongernow - have you ever considered getting your degree on-line?
You seem to have a problem dealing with people, and always think everyone is out to get you. Maybe you should just take your classes via computer and you won't have to worry about interacting with people who smell or have personality disorders?

Old 08-31-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User

lol guys I had a better day today. Your comments were funny and they made me laugh at myself for being such a drama king. I was just in a really negative mood. I did not have a lot of sleep and it was so hot and stuffy outside. Keep in mind I have to walk all over a huge university campus. The buildings are ancient. The air condition isn't that great and the buildings reek of oldness and mold. Maybe I was just more critical that day.

Last edited by strongernow; 08-31-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nina000 HB User

That day???!!! You actually sound less critical that day
No offence meant, but yes you dwell on the negative SO much. Really. Re-read your post describing every person as a freak...stinky...arrogant...liar (Why wouldd he even bother lie?) Please try and see more nice things around you. Can you tell us what NICE things you saw *that* day?
I think that you need to reconcile with your own self before you could reconcile with other people, or even expect them to want to get friendly to you....

Last edited by Nina000; 08-31-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User

I nearly laughed until tears came out when I was reading my own writings and the responses. I didn't realize how negative and whiney I sounded.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baby_hands HB User

I kind of know what your going through. There some people at my college which...I really have to work hard at to not think judgemental, hateful thoughts. Thats human nature and we all have to work hard in this area.

The people in your life are "sandpaper" they are an oppurtunity for you to grow as a person. They will smooth away all the character flaws in yourself. Part of becoming a good person is learning to be gracious with difficult people. To love the unlovable. You will otherwise be a very bitter person if you spend your life hoping and trying to change others...when really...all you can do is change yourself.

So see this as an oppurtunity for you to exercise grace in these peoples lives.

If they become emotionally of physically abusive, then yes you should say something. But do it with grace. You deserve to be treated with respect.

In the mean time..that is just life, not everyone is where YOU are in life. Not everyone is as sensitive to their own behaviour as you may be. And also, I like to think of people as being a result of their circumstances...

So if you come across someone who is RUDE...ARROGANT etc etc. Those characteristics are only the symptoms of the root cause in their life. Maybe they had an abusive childhood? Thats just an example.

The point is, we do not know what is in someones heart, therefore we cannot judge and write them off...no matter how vile they may seem.
Just the same as..no one can write you off. They do not know your heart.

You concentrate on yourself and how you react to their behaviour. You'll be a better person for it.

All these are from the teachings of Jesus and His dealings with people.

Last edited by Baby_hands; 08-31-2006 at 09:05 PM.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User

You are right basically I am over reacting and being all dramatic over such little things like somebody not wanting to listen to my input or some random person uses a ruder tone with me.

These are little things that I could easily have compassion for instead of falling to peices and complaining about.

I like the idea of taking life less seriously.

Closed Thread