It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User
Is this totally rude or what?

A few months ago my in-laws suggested we have a cookout at their home. It never seems to fail that when they ask my husband and I to come, we end up buying half the food for the cookout or the most pricey part of the meal. If they suggest we have steaks we end up buying them and if we have regular things like hot dogs and brats we ened up buying the condiments,buns, soda and so on. My Mother-in-law can be sneaky about it and says she has everything knowing my husband will call the day of the cookout and ask if she needs anything from the store. She will than suddenly come up with a list of things she thought she had but didn't. On top of that she invites other people over and they are not asked to bring anything. I got so fed up one time I made a comment and it got back to her and that seemed to fix the problem, to a point. Anyway now we have a new issue.

Twice now we have planned a cookout and we have came to her home and she suddenly admits that someone in the house hold was just sick the night before. When we had that 1st cookout we were in her home for a good hour and she finally decided to mention that her and my father-in-law were just getting over the flu. If that wasn't bad enough than she tells us that her grandson caught the flu from them and is almost over it and low and behold thier daughter comes over with her sick kid. I was mad at their daughter thinking they had no idea they were coming over but it turns out my in-laws invited them that day knowing the child was still sick. My husband and I both got the flu later that week. I was so mad and they knew it and my in-laws tried to down play it. I thought they would have learned their lesson but they did the same thing again this weekend!
Now is this rude or what? We stayed because both times we foot the big bill for the main course and I figure the germs were already present when we walked in the house, so we were bound too get it.
What would you have done?

Last edited by alleycat2; 09-11-2006 at 02:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Is this totally rude or what?

totally rude.....I remember stuff like that from when I used to be married......it's so much more peaceful now that I'm divorced.....LOL

I would call ahead of time next time and see if anyone is sick....
and if they are, I would stay home.
and as far as your husband calling to see if she needs anything (after she's already told you she has everything).....tell him to KNOCK IT OFF!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

I agree....very considerate to invite people over when you're sick. Next time, ask if anyone is sick or just getting over an illness.

As far as the food, I wouldn't bring more than one or two items. Say something like, "We're bringing the hotdogs and buns. Who's bringing the soda?" Or, "We're bringing ABC. How about asking so-and-so to bring XYZ?"

Don't let them take advantage. It's not fair that some people never have to bring anything.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

Well here I am struggling through work because of my sister-in-laws kid passed on the flu to me and my husband who got sick this morning! Plus both of us now have colds and I am so mad! My husband called his mom this morning to inform her we had gotten sick from her grandson ebing at her house when we were there and of course he response is always your kid will get sick too and pass it on to you, when he is born. I know this is so but what I am saying is when my kid is sick we won't be taking him over to someone elses house to make them sick!

Closed Thread