It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
(male)

jimmyeth HB User
Travelling advice for an online, long distance relationship

Hey folks, I need some advice from you all, so please hear my story. I am an 18 year old guy from England who has met online a girl that lives in New York, we have extremely strong feelings for each other, and I feel like she is the perfect one I want to share my life with, id strive like hell to have her. So I plan on visiting her next summer, I should be 19 by then, I asked around to a few of my friends asking if they would come but each replied ''I dont know, it depends if i have the money'', I am willing to go there on my own though, but I know my parents would be weird with that. I cant just tell them I am meeting up with someone ive met online because well, they will be all paranoid about it and most likely will not let me go, I dont want to risk that. Ive never done anything like this before in my life but i desire too, Its going to cost me a hell of a lot and i hear you have to book these things well in advance and I dont have all the money yet. Also, does anyone have any advice on the travelling side of things, I know your gonna be thinking ''this guy doesnt have a clue how to get this organised, he has no chance'' but I really want to be with this girl and as crazy as it sounds, I am willing to do this. Thanks for reading.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

minnesotagirl HB User
Re: Travelling advice for an online, long distance relationship

Well, you have plenty of time to plan for next summer. I wouldn't rush into anything. Just continue your online relationship with this girl and see what happens. It is not smart to jump into these types of relationships, so I can understand other people's skepticism. You probably need some kind of passport, so there's probably some lead time you need to allow for that. As far as plane tickets -- I know people who book a trip overseas just a week in advance. I think you can actually just book a flight the same day. So, you might want to think about planning those details next spring sometime. That way, you'll have more time to get to know this girl before you rush into something. You don't need to take any action now other than continuing to develop your friendship. Remember that people can be very, very different in person versus online.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
(male)

Anonmust HB User

I've been in a long distance relationship for almost a year and half now and let me tell you something:

When it's good it's great, but when it's bad it's hell.

Most likely when you spend time together you'll be on cloud nine, but the time spent away from each other will tear you apart.

Sorry for the negative tone, but after all this time I wouldn't wish my situation on anyone... unless of course you have plans to move to New York in the near future which changes everything.

Regards

-Anonomust

Old 09-15-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
(male)

minijumbofly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeth
..... but I know my parents would be weird with that. I cant just tell them I am meeting up with someone ive met online because well, they will be all paranoid about it and most likely will not let me go....
LMAO, I wonder why you would think that ?

OK... sorry for mocking you but I'm actually not opposed to you doing what you are planning. Everybody can tell you what's best for you, but there is no disputing history once the event actually takes place...for better and for worse.

Assuming that you'll work through the passport and the money part, the easiest way is to joint a tour group and just travel as a tourist. That way all the arrangements are mostly included and it will save you time in researching and handling all those things. This is the actually the easy part.

Now the hard part. You'll still be a minor so you'll need to work on either having an adult companion or getting consent from your parents. You'll have to do most of the thinking on this issue. The easiest way is to "buy" your way through it, i.e. offer to pay part of the way for your selected faithful "chaperone"

What the heck, if nothing else comes out of the trip, at least you would have gain some travel experience and visited NY.

Cheers.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
(male)

jimmyeth HB User

Also, does anyone have a rough idea of around how much it would cost to book a return flight to New York from England?

Old 09-16-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
(male)

minijumbofly HB User

Research for yourself on the internet since we can't advertise other web site here direct. Just use any search engine for "airplane tickets" or "travel"

An average round trip ticket in the summer would probably set you back at US$500 each give or take a little. Then you'll need to spend for room, food and ground transport in addition.

Closed Thread