It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
(male)

jerry78 HB User
Guy Needs Help Figuring This Out....

Hi All. This will be a long one, so I do apologize. I'll try to keep it simple without rambling.

First off, I'm a 36 year old Divorced Man, Professional career, been single since my divorce for over 5 years now, and to be honest, have adapted quite well to living alone.

In those 5 years, I have not had any interest in meeting any women, nor have I dated.

Well, here's what's happening now, and I need some input and advice from guys and gals as to what is going onhere.

Last month I began working in a new location, and a 22 year old girl was also newly hired. We hit it off from the get-go, mostly with the fact that I've been in the career longer than she has, and I sort of took her under my wing and helped her with advice, etc.

Since we began work, which is like i said, 4 weeks now, there was just something that clicked in me that really makes me like her. I do openly flirt with her, usually by saying "So, Let's go out for a drink", or "When are we going to Dinner" etc.....(The flirting HAS NEVER BEEN Sexual, nor will it ever be, as I'm not like that.)

Anyway, we do go to lunch together, and she does get pretty intimate in her conversations with me about her personal life.

Here is where it gets confusing: She has a boyfriend....said its been her only boyfriend evere, as they have been together since high school. She will tell me she really loves him, but they have a problem with his Mother be domineering, etc., and she has also told me that she is getting frustrated with the relationship.

She also tells me things that are going on at home: She recently lost her Mother, and it is hard emotionally for her....she says she has a lot of responsibility at home, like makking sure her younger sisters are doing the right thing, etc......Along these lines, she agreed when I suggested to her that she has a lot on her plate, working two jobs, taking care of home, etc....and nobody gives her the time to listen or appreciate her problems.....She agreed with me saying..."If only I would get a Thank You once in a while, or even a card now and then"

When I asked her once if I a flirting too much or taking things too far (she knows i like her), she responded by telling me: "I don't take compliments too well, because i'm not used to getting them." She told me she does not think I'm out of line with my actions or words towards her.......SO........

What do you think is going on here?
Is this a young girl that is enjoying the flirtation and care of a guy 14 years older than her?

Should I continue to follow her around like a puppy-dog, or learn to cool it for awhile and see if she makes a move?

Or do I just forget the whole darn thing and call it quits????
Help me out here Ladies and Gentlemen....THANKS ALL=Jerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
(female)

Shorty39 HB User
Re: Guy Needs Help Figuring This Out....

Well, I think I'd just take it slow, afterall she said she had a boyfriend. No need to even change things, right now I believe you'll get much farther by offering to go to lunch every now and then. Don't be too pushy though. Let her continue to get comfortable with you. Just lend a kinda and compassionate hand to her. She is very overloaded with all her responsibilities. Take things slow. I hope you don't have any teenagers. Cause if you do it might be hard explaining to them your relationship with her if things go further. If you have kids under 10 I think that wouldn't be so bad. Just wondering as you didn't mention children.

Take care and be good to yourself

Old 09-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
(male)

jerry78 HB User

Hi Shorty:
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. No children in the picture. I hear what you are saying about going easy.
So, from a women's perspective, do you think she has a slight interest, or am is just enjoying the attention I'm giving her? Jerry

Old 09-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
(female)

dannieishappy HB User

Jerry,

From a womans perspective I believe that she is flattered by your attention, mainly because she doesnt seem to be getting her needs met elswhere. She sounds VERY vulnerable right now and frankly, I would back up a bit. Until she resolves all her other issues your just going to become another "something" she has to deal with. Im not saying stop being friendly ETC but maybe not so "obvious" in your interest. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Old 09-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
(male)

jerry78 HB User

Dannie:
Hey, Thanks for your thoughts. I think I agree with you.
I think I will back off it a little bit to see what happens.
Hey Everyone, keep the comments and perspectives coming...I really do appreciate them as they are a huge help to a guy that has been out of the "Scene" for as long as I've been-Jerry

Old 09-19-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
(male)

minijumbofly HB User

Don't worry about the age difference bit, as many others here have discussed the issue and normally gets the "proceed with caution" advice.

I also believe she is new to a sympathatic ear/shoulder and has a lot on her plate right now. So, just take things slow and keep your senses in tune. If she develops feelings for you beyond friendship, it will happen quickly.

For now, keep the flirting below the PG rating and try to learn more about her. Cheers

Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
(female)

browneyed-babe HB User

You said your flirtation has never been sexual in nature so of course she would not find you out of line with the things you are saying to her. She may be taking it all in as a much needed ego boost as she is not getting the attention from her boyfriend.

I think she may just see you as a sympathetic ear and a good friend. She has a lot going on in her life and appreciates you as a good listener and friend. If she has made no effort to make any moves on you this may be all it is. I wouldn't read anything more into this relationship unless she has been upfront with feelings for you.

She does have a boyfriend after all - a first love which I don't think she is going to let go of easily. Outside stresses are putting a burden on her relationship with her boyfriend and once those cool down her relationship with him may be repaired.

You shouldn't make any moves with her until she is single. It really isn't appropriate for you to be looking for a relationship with a girl who is taken already. Friends is fine but leave it at that. If they do break up then you will see what her feelings for you are.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
(female)

Shorty39 HB User

Hey Jerry........To answer your question........Yes I think she possibly could be interested. After all, this day and time, younger women like older men. Not too old though. I think you barely made it. LOL LOL LOL Just kidding.

She very well could be interested but as I said before take it slow and wait til you know she catches up with you on the feelings part and then the two of you can move a little further. Take it easy. She also might be looking to you for advice, a friendly ear, or even someone that she respects kinda like a father figure. I know I'm sorry you didn't want to hear that. But yet it is true. Just keep hangin out and takin things slow and I believe before you know it she'll most likely let you know by a signal or a conversation the two of you could have, about what shes feeling. Don't be too pushy either afterall she does have a boyfriend. Although if she starts talking about breaking up then she might just be hunting a reason to get out and start a relationship with you. Not saying that is altogether honest. But sometimes we don't know what our younger friends are thinking or rationalizing.

Be Good To Yourself,
Patti

Old 09-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Destea HB User

Odds are, the more sympathetic you are - and the more she is able to talk to you and feel like someone is on her side (you), she will become more interested. This is classic female behavior when a relationship is going stale. I say this only because I've been through it a few times myself. If I find my relationship is lacking, my boyfriend is no longer attentive or caring, if I find a male friend who will listen to me and sympathize and really give me what I'm lacking - I can't help but get a crush on this person. It's resulted in two ended relationships on my part, so obviously the other guys weren't meant to be - but the last guy I turned to is now my fiance, and he hasn't STOPPED focusing and listening and being attentive.

Ultimately, she probably has a growing spot in her thoughts for you. She will likely continue to be more interested the more time you talk and spend together, because we women like to have someone who genuinely listens and cares, and it's one thing when the relationship is all dandy - then it really is just a friendship and you can draw that line, however, because her relationship appears to be lacking in addition to all of her other stress factors, she's probably not getting what she wants/needs in her relationship right now - and that generally leads to a crush, which turns into feelings...

I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. This is the #1 way affairs take place, and while it doesn't sound like anything is out of line here, I think this is a completely NATURAL and NORMAL way for people to discover what they're missing at home and realizing there may just be something more in line with what they're looking for.

Be yourself, don't push the "dinner" or "let's go get a drink together" stuff, but I'd take a random bet that says within a few months you will probably be spending more time together if you just continue to listen and be a friend as you have been Your call! It could break up her relationship, but maybe this is a relationship that she needs to see through REAL vision, and not rose colored glasses.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
(male)

jerry78 HB User

To:
MINI, BROWN-EYED, SHORTY, and DESTEA:

Many Thanks, all of you, for your thoughts and advice. Truly, it goes a long way with me, as I really have nobody to share these thoughts and questions with. You are all so appreciated.

I have taken all of your ideas, thoughts, and advice, and a placing them all together in my head to formulate a course of action.

As for the latest update:
Today, I did what was suggested. I eased up a bit on the flirtation. She, in fact, came to me and said "Well, I have more drama to tell you about from something that happened last night."

At lunch, she told me the details of her relationship problems. It seems that her Father does not care for her boyfriend, and the boyfriends mother does not really care for her. She told me that last night, her Father, whom she lives with, told her he does not want her BF over the house anymore.

She told me she does not know what to do, she cried all night, loves her BF, but loves her DAd...wants to get her own place, ......

Again, I listened and gave her my ear....but did not make any flirtatious comments. I just listened.

I'm just still not sure if I'm just a shoulder and ear, and if I am that, can a romantic interest develop (or do women rely on "instant attraction" like most guys do?)

I'll keep you all updated....please continue with your advice!!
JERRY

Old 09-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
(male)

jerry78 HB User
Re: Guy Needs Help Figuring This Out....UPDATE

OK, People......I guess some will say i should start running the other way.....but, I am just not that type of man........................

UPDATE: If your following my daily posts on here, you can see that things are just going downhill for this girl...and, I'm not sure where I should be in all of this......
This Morning(Wednesday), upon coming to work, she called me into a private area, began crying, and said last night she had a fight with her DAD(over her boyfriend again), and it got so bad that her Dad accused the BF of putting a nail in his car tire. She got fed up with his yelling at her, then he told her she cannot use his car anymore(including for work).....she told me she left the house and went to the other side of town to stay with her older sister. During the night, she got a call from her other sister that her Dad was taken to the hospital for heart problems and he will be staying overnight.
Well, he was released later today, but I'm not sure what was going on. She tells me that he gets panic attacks a lot, so it could have been that.
Anyway, again, taking everyones advice on here, I lended a sympathetic ear and shoulder to cry on......She asked me if I would mind giving her a ride to her sisters after work, and of course, I agreed to. She also asked if I can pick her up in the morning for work, and yes, I said OK...I mean, C'mon, I'm not going to say no to someone in such a dreaded situation......
To go on, she went on to tell me that her DAd used to physically abuse her Mother, and that now that her mom is dead, her DAD takes everything out on her. She denies being physically abused, but said it is mental abuse.
She never did offer to me why he dislikes her BF so much, and I didn't ask. I feel if there is something she wants to tell me, she will(although I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe the reason her Dad dislikes him is because he may be a good-for-nothing or something along the line.) I'm also wondering where he is(the BF) during all this...perhaps he does not drive or have a car-I dont know.....anyway, as you can see, this girl has got a ton of nasty stuff going on in her life, but irregardless of all this, I am still strangly attracted to her........Of course, in a time like this, I'm not pursuing anything other than to give her my help and listen to her......but deep down I'm wondering if that is all I'm wanted for?????
A previous female poster asked if she is throwing any signs my way that would give a hint that she has an interest in me....My question is, what type of signs? I'm terrible at interpreting girls. Thanks All-JERRY

Old 09-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
(female)

Shorty39 HB User

Jerry......she is really going thru some tough times. Please continue to do as you are doing. Don't want to take advantage of her feelings while she is in this type of turmoil. Some of the best relationships are born out of friendship. So be there for her without being pushy. Your doing a great job.
If she decides that the relationship with her bf and dad isn't worth fighting and it costs her alot to keep it going with her bf at the expense of her father and her relationship then she'll most likely fall back to you. Keep us posted and udated and be the very best friend you can be. Even if nothing romanticly happens then you've got a friendship nothing will be able to break. This is really important in her life right now and shes gonna pull from that.

Be Good To Yourself,
Patti

Old 09-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
(female)

moospys50+ HB User

Ask yourself why you are devoting so much time and energy to a relationship that is so ill defined and unbalanced in the give and take arena. What are you getting out of this?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

I agree with Moospys, I think you need to be very careful that you don't turn into her slave during all of this. I'm not saying you shouldn't be supportive and listen to her problems, but it already sounds like you've turned into her taxi service, and that could be just the beginning if things keep getting worse for her.

Whilst there is a chance she may have genuine feelings for you, there is also a real chance that she just sees you as a friend and also a convenience that she can use when she wants to get lifts etc. At the end of it she might stay with her bf forever, or find someone else, and you'll be left hurting and feeling totally used.

Don't bail on her yet, but just be careful that you don't get too involved without some real signs from her that it would be reciprocated sometime down the line.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
(male)

jerry78 HB User

Hi Patti and Moospy and Willapp:

Patti: Thanks for responding again. I love your insight and encouraging words, but I must say that Moospys has a great question.

Moospys: Hi. Yes-Great question. In fact, i have been asking myself the exact same thing. I really cannot figure this out. Like I said, I was very happy and content being Single for so long after my divorce. Never thought about dating, never went online or elsewhere trying to "pick up dates".

I dont know what happened here. It just happened. Something just clicked in me with this girl that has me feeling the "Attraction at first site" syndrome.
Is it a crush that will fade away? I don't know, but I really don't think so. I just cannot, for the life of me, figure out why my feelings developed for her.

But yes, I hear you-what exactly am I getting out of this? Really nothing at this time, except the fact that I am being a caring, understanding, shoulder to lean on for a girl with some big-time problems in her life.
Do I want to be more?-Of course I do, but I'm doing what everyone here is advising....take it slow, do not push it, be there as a friend, and if its going to happen, she will move on it......
Hi Willapp-Thanks also for responding. Yep-I hear what you are saying also. I wont bail yet, but I'm going to take your advice also, coupled with everyone elses, and see how this plays out. Thanks all....I'll keep you posted-JERRY

Last edited by jerry78; 09-21-2006 at 02:30 AM.

Closed Thread