It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Phone Calls

Just looking for some people's opinions on phone etiquette when you've been dating someone for months.

You call them and they don't answer.. do you always expect a call back? Let's say you didn't leave a voicemail msg, but they have call-display so they know you called.

Or what if you call them, but they say they're busy and will call you later in the day or tomorrow. They'll call back but not within the time frame and don't apologize at first for not calling back when they said.

Just wondering how people respond to these situations. Let's also say that it's happened before (not often, but has happened). Would you brush it off as nothing, or would you bring it up?

I consider myself really good at calling people back. Am I wrong to think that people should call their bf/gf back when an attempt has been made to contact them?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
Re: Phone Calls

Sounds kind of petty to me if it doesn't happen often. If I don't leave a message then I don't expect a call back. If I want my bf to call me back I would leave him a message stating that. Now if he tells me he is going to call me at a certain time and doesn't then yeah I might be a little upset but as long as he DOES call me back, I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

If it bothers you that much ask why she didn't call you back. I wouldn't push the issue to much though, unless it is something that happens all the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

brazilman HB User

Hi Andrew:

Absolutely. I do sympathize with you. I think I'd be concerned, too, when people don't call me back.

However, it seems to be chic nowadays to have no manners (or as litttle as possible) or to put professional matters ahead of personal relationships, if you see what I mean.

JC

Old 10-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew29
Just looking for some people's opinions on phone etiquette when you've been dating someone for months.

You call them and they don't answer.. do you always expect a call back? Let's say you didn't leave a voicemail msg, but they have call-display so they know you called.

Or what if you call them, but they say they're busy and will call you later in the day or tomorrow. They'll call back but not within the time frame and don't apologize at first for not calling back when they said.

Just wondering how people respond to these situations. Let's also say that it's happened before (not often, but has happened). Would you brush it off as nothing, or would you bring it up?

I consider myself really good at calling people back. Am I wrong to think that people should call their bf/gf back when an attempt has been made to contact them?

Reading the above, am I right in assuming that some lady isn't responding the way you would hope?

Firstly when I started to date my present partner, if I treid to ring him on his mobile, and it was off, and I didn't leave a message. He would always return the call, cause mobiles do show us missed calls etc.

Now if he wasn't to return the call, then I would take that as him thinking ''well I don't have to return the call, as she didn't leave a message, if it is important she will ring back, - so I'll take the easy option and not bother to return the call''.

So to me I would take that as him not being very keen! as if he had wanted to talk, he had a good reason to ring back. (just an example to my thinking)

Also if I rung my boyfreind and he said busy at the moment, can't speak, I would expect him to say 'I will ring you when I get a spare moment' , then I would leave it up to him to respond.

If someone you are dating says I will ring you tonight, but doesn't until the next day, I would personally take that as a bit rude, and perhaps not feel that important.

But that is just me.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User

Are you a gabber? Some people hate to sit on a phone and listen to other people gab.I hate talking on the phone.If a friend of mine calls to gab I usually will just ignore the call.Maybe if you start keeping conversations short and to the point, she might be more likely to call you back.

Last edited by daylight568; 10-17-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

minnesotagirl HB User

I think the "rules" of calling are different for each situation. I also think they are established early on in a relationship and then they can evolve into a routine. What I'd do is casually bring this up when you're together in person. Ask about his/her preferences and habits about calling back, such as "would you prefer I leave a message when I call or will you call me back just by looking at your caller ID?" And if the person is saying they will call you in a certain timeframe, but continually don't do as they say, then you need to either drop some hints or tell them that bothers you.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GypsyArcher HB User

Personally, when I call somebody I expect to be called back. And if they say they will call back within a certain time-frame, I expect that too. Of course I understand people occassionally can be really busy and forget, but if it is a recurring theme then it would really tick me off.

If someone can't be bothered to call me back, or goes several days without calling, then later for them. I'm not going to sit by the phone for anybody, so to speak.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

eve40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew29

I would say that they are either playing by the "The Rules" playbook that tells a woman to pretend she isn't interested or she truly isn't interested. If, on the other hand, you are talking about a man, then he is difinitely not interested.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User

When I call someone and they dont' answer.... uuuummmm.... I stop calling them.
When they call me and I don't answer... ummmm... I let them call me again if they want to, but I don't force them.

You have to stay in control over things you actually have control over.

HOOP! (Let the milk spill. The dog or cat will lick it up!)

Old 10-19-2006, 05:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I say to quit calling her and then she'll be all like "why don't you ever call me anymore?!!!!!" Use some reverse psychology!

Closed Thread