It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User
Husband works too much, I'm getting depressed

I love my husband dearly, but I am really getting resentful of his job. He works six days a week and has for years. It's getting old. He doesn't do it because we are broke and need the money. He does it because he owns the business. Yes, it is to make money- but it's also my husband not delegating enough to his employees so that he can take some time off. We are in our mid 40's. I feel like my life is passing me by because my husband is always at work! To make matters worse, on Sundays he golfs. I just feel like "we" don't do nearly enough together. I feel like he's never around the house and I'm sick of it. We get along, we have great sex, we are compatible.... but I'm feeling very alone and I'm sick of it. I don't need another hobby. I need a husband who is home once in awhile.

Can anyone offer advice... I am at my wits end. By the way, I DO talk to him about it. He says he HAS to work, and then he can retire in 7 years. What about now? He doesn't get it. I am unhappy NOW. For two years now I've heard him tell me he will try to structure work so he can take more time off (going down to 40 hours would be nice)... but it never happens.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

matter of time HB User
Re: Husband works too much, I'm getting depressed

Sounds a lot like my situation (and the wife of my boss too). Maybe it can help to know you are not the only one. Ever try to learn golf? Insist on a vacation together.
Even though you get along, if you feel neglected, the love can die.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Sounds like you have done all you can to change him. Time to concentrate on the thing you CAN change, and that is you. One, you probably make it very easy for him to spend all this time at work, cos the home is so well run. Leave him for 2 weeks, go on a cruise with a girlfriend (or anything). Then go on a bus trip to Disneyworld (or anything) Don't sit at home pressing his suits etc. When he moans, say I am having the life you keep promising me. If he won't have fun with you, do it with someone else. I know there is no substitute for your life's companion, but get a life of your own. Maybe he will be tempted to join in.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

try-ink HB User

Me and hubby don't own our own business....but, we don't see each other too much too.(different hours)

Your Hubby owns his....So I can only imagine how busy he can be.

Look.....I would love to retire early. So if Hubby is working his butt off so that we can soon have it....I would support him. The above person is right.

Why don't you go out with your girlfriend(s), instead.

You may not see him in the day.....but, at least he is all yours at night. For me, this is always something to smile about.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 AM   #5
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Thanks for the responses, and I know you are making good points. Part of my problem is I don't have friends where we live. We don't have neighbors- literally... and the people I have met at work are busy with their lives. Nice people, but nobody I see outside of work. I moved to his hometown area when we got together and even after being here for years, I realize it's hard to make friends as an adult.

Now I feel even more pathetic. However, I realize I have to get myself out of this rut.

Closed Thread