It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: australia
Posts: 9
Kwagmire HB User
She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Ok, i understand when a girlfriend may get jealous of 1 or 2 female friends of mine for what ever reason it may be, but my fiance has outwardly expressed many times her uncomfortableness with basically all of my female friends. The close ones and also the not as close ones.

I've never had a relationship before and she tells me that this reaction is normal in any relationship.

Is it?

 
Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
rosequartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 10,344
rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

it depends.....do you keep your female friends seperate from your girlfriend or is your girlfriend included and welcome to meet them?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 226
furtiva HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
it depends.....do you keep your female friends seperate from your girlfriend or is your girlfriend included and welcome to meet them?
agreed!

some of my bf's female "friends" were mostly around because they saw him as a potential mate not a friend. those are out of the way now, no question there.

you have to be open to your partner and your friends about your current relationship -- she won;t be jealous if there is nothing to be jealous of, but if you're being doubtful and keeping them away from her, she has reasons not to feel comfortable with your approach.

 
Old 08-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,202
happymom28 HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
it depends.....do you keep your female friends seperate from your girlfriend or is your girlfriend included and welcome to meet them?
I agree with this too!

If you are keeping your female friends away from her then she has every reason to be jealous. If it is all out in the open and she is free to meet with them and hang out and they all know that you are with your girlfriend and in love and happy then that's a different story. Most reasonable girls will not be jealous unless there is a reason to be.

My husband had many female friends when we started dating. He never lied about any of them and I met all but one of them in a pretty short span of time. I never had a problem with any of the ones I met and got to know (including one of his best friends that he dated briefly), only the one who was never around when I was. So of course I was pestering him about her and wanted to know why she would only come over when I wasn't there. She use to get mad when he would go out with me and not her and her friends. He assured me there was nothing to worry about but I insisted that I got to meet her asap or there was going to be trust issues with me. I did finally meet her when we all went out for his birthday. The only reason she even came was because she thought I couldn't get a babysitter and therefore wouldn't be there. I was very nice to her, offered her a glass of wine, and tried to be friendly. She was short and rude with her answers. When we all went to the bar we were going to she ordered one drink and left with her friend. We never heard from her again. I guess that shows what her intentions were.

Sorry to go off into my story but I thought that might help. If you are being honest about your friends then there shouldn't be an issue. There is no reason you can't have friends of the opposite sex as long as they are your friends to be your friends and no other reason. Usually (but not all the time) the girls who are after you and not your friendship will get bored of not getting what they want and move on.

 
Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,081
Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Yes, also if you make your female friends a priority over your girlfriend, that won't go over too well, either. You should never ever do or say anything with your female pals that you couldn't do or say with your fiance standing right there. She should always not only be welcome to come along, but remember, she's not the third or fifth wheel, the female friends are. She's not tagging along, they are. You didn't give us any specific examples of what exactly she gets jealous of or things like that, so it's hard to determine if she's being unreasonable or if you're being neglectful, disrespectful and insensitive. Perhaps you could offer some examples and some more information?

 
Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)
 
Seraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,754
Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Your girlfriend is now number one female in your life, and everything you do in regard to your other female friends must reflect this. Never put them first, run them past her as a priority, agree with her judgements as to how much of a threat any of them may be and act accordingly. Be open and upfront with everybody, and never never go behind her or lie about anything to do with them. Sera

 
Old 08-15-2007, 01:34 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 482
Willapp HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furtiva View Post
...she won;t be jealous if there is nothing to be jealous of...
I had to post because I actually disagree with this. Some (perhaps most) girls aren't jealous when there is no reason to be. However there are girls who just feel insecure about themselves, and project that onto their partner by trying to limit their contact with other females.

I agree that people should be sensitive and understanding of partner's concerns regarding opposite sex friends, but beware that there is a fine line between understanding/compromise and letting yourself be controlled by your partner.

What I'm saying is that if you really believe that these girls are harmless and that you've never given your girlfriend reason not to trust you/them, beware of pushing your friends away just to suit your girlfriend, unless you'd rather have her than friends?

 
Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 280
luvmy2kids HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwagmire View Post
I've never had a relationship before and she tells me that this reaction is normal in any relationship.
Jealousy to a certain degree is normal. Her kind of jealousy is not. You are allowed to have female friends! I can't stand these kind of women!!!!! She is insecure and playing on your inexperience in relationships.

 
Old 08-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: US
Posts: 788
BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

You can tell when you meet someone if they are really just friends or if they like your SO and want to be more than just friends. My husband had an EX that he was "friends" with when we met and I could tell that she was very uncomfortable if I was around and barely even spoke to him and not to me at all unless I asked her a direct question. Needless to say this woman was not a welcome friend and she is no longer in the picture! I believe that my husband had no loving feelings toward her anymore but I think that she wanted to keep in contact just in case things didn't work out with the new guy. I say that keeping an EX as a friend is a very bad idea if you want to move on and start dating others! Seldom will this ever work because of jealousy on both sides of the coin!

It's very hard to accept the opposite sex as a friend when you are dating someone...it's so hard to trust anyway and this just puts unnecessary doubts and fears into the head of who you are dating. A few people have no problems with this but most women will have problems accepting this. We are not stupid...we know what other women are up to! You will never get her to come around to accept this so you need to decide what's more important...having a bunch of female friends or having the GF. Maybe if she meets the women it could be OK with her...or it could make things worse if she senses the other woman's hostility toward her.

My EX husband is remarried to a woman that is so jealous of me that I cannot even write anything in MyS**** or she throws a tantrum and thinks it about him or her??????? Sheeew!!!!!
__________________
My posts are just my opinion only and are not of a professional nature.

Last edited by BeaTrade; 08-15-2007 at 08:59 AM.

 
Old 08-15-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 226
furtiva HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willapp View Post
I had to post because I actually disagree with this. Some (perhaps most) girls aren't jealous when there is no reason to be. However there are girls who just feel insecure about themselves, and project that onto their partner by trying to limit their contact with other females.

What I'm saying is that if you really believe that these girls are harmless and that you've never given your girlfriend reason not to trust you/them, beware of pushing your friends away just to suit your girlfriend, unless you'd rather have her than friends?
oh my, you have no idea of how many times this topic has been discussed in my life either about me or my close friends. Let me start by saying that it is all so RELATIVE, of what reasonable cause for jealousy is and very specific to the couple/cases. Just a couple of days ago I received a call from a guy friend who is trying to work out things with his super super jealous g/f . He told me that he will call me but asked me to not call him because it will show in his bill/ID and his GF will go bananas, and doesnt wnat that bcs he is trying to work it out with her, bcs he loves her. go figure!

And that's not the only story I have to share. My first ex (a guy) was the most controlling person ever. I eliminitated all my guy friends, all of them, even classmates, no contacts outside the class. Not because I gave him any reasons to be jealous of, well at least not from my point of view. In his eyes, he had plenty to believe that , say my classmate wasn't just being sociable, but more. It came to the point when I eliminitated him, bcs it was too much.

So I get your point, I really do have plenty under my belly to recognize the variety of humans we are sorrounded by and we socialize or love. And not all of them share the same ideas about realtionship as we do. My point is that, if given that you really love her and want to be with her although she is jealous by nature, (like my friend's GF or my ex) you have two choices:

you choose her over the friends (like I did with my ex) but bcs this is unreasonable, it will soon come to an unpleasent end i.e. you will eventually dump her and seek a reasonable partner

scenario two: you try to make her reasonable before things go out of hand (like my firiend's story) dump her now, and work out things until she gets to be reasonable.

To go back to my point, even if she is jealous for the sake of it (or insecurities, personality type or whatever), if she is your FIANCE, she is not a newly gf of yours, she's been around you for a while before you proposed. So, she is either inherently unreasonably jealous (which you should have seen coming before) or she has recently become such (in this case, you might want to evaluate why).

Last edited by furtiva; 08-15-2007 at 08:38 AM.

 
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #11
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 68
Claire13 HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Ok,

I have a boyfriend who has more female mates than guy friends. I used to be jealous of them because my boyfriend's home town is far away and when he went home I knew he was hanging out with a bunch of girls who I hadnt met before and my thoughts got carried away, I used to think they were all page 3 models or something after my boyfriend. I would wonder if they knew that my boyfriend was with me or if I was being kept a secret etc.

But...

After meeting them all they are a lovely bunch of girls who are really laid back, they are pretty much all coupled up aswell which is good. I felt so much better after meeting everyone. My boyfriend tells me everything thats going on in their lives so I am never shut out and there are never any "secret" conversations or texts to be worried about.

Basically what I am trying to say, is make sure you include your girlfriend. It seriously makes things easier and puts a gals mind to rest. Include her in whats going on with your friends too, like any news or gossip etc.

This is just my opinion, I mean your girlfriend could just be down right posessive..which is a totally different ball game altogether.

Anywho good luck

 
Old 08-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,650
Laylah HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaTrade View Post
You can tell when you meet someone if they are really just friends or if they like your SO and want to be more than just friends.
Sorry BeaTrade, but I have to totally disagree with this; as it certainly wasnít true in my case:

My bf's female 'friend' had been in his life for ten long years and, after all that history, it was only when he met me that she decided to make her move.

Some women just cant stand their male 'friend' finding someone special to him and will be more than willing to throw the 'friend' role right out the window when it suits them - sorry to say but this is the voice of (unwillfull) experience.

 
Old 08-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,650
Laylah HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

I had intended to also mention BeaTrade; I had no idea of this womanís intentions, despite having spent plenty of time in her company and having gotten fond of her even to the extent of asking my bf to ask her over when she wasnít around; and I donít consider myself a stupid women; but I've come to learn some women are just sneakier than others.

 
Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: US
Posts: 788
BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Sorry about your situation...I should have said "You can USUALLY tell...." HA!

An attached man hanging out with women is really just an accident looking for a place to happen...it's not if it's when...HA! *ducks to avoid the rocks*
__________________
My posts are just my opinion only and are not of a professional nature.

 
Old 08-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 546
prairie_dawn HB User
Re: She gets jealous of all my female friends being my friend.

Women are only looking for one thing if they are not married. Yes I am sorry but that is the way I feel. I do not trust any women , there is no need for me to. BUT i do trust my dh so i am fine with him hanging out at the bar and meeting someone. He comes home and tells me a joke or what they tried or did to someone else that he was watching. We also watch when we are together and we see women that know the guy is married go up to them.

If you love your girlfriend/fiance' then you will respect her wishes. BUT the problem is is that you will have to figure out if she is just being controlling. For you to have no life and no friends is absurd. First its girls then its your guy friends...then you are all alone. so watch yoruself.

When she is with you longer she might calm down but know this WOMAN are always jealous no matter what they say. They might trust you but not the women so dont take her saying she doesnt want you near as her not trusting you she just might see the look in thier eyes when they watch you and she doesnt like it. Personally i wouldnt either but I am a mean girl and I can be a beast and will defend what is mine. Yes i said what is mine, I dont own my dh but I surely will fight to keep him! LOL His friends all know it too and when a girl comes up to them to talk they warn her. LOL (blushing) But please make sure this isnt a controlling thing.

If her heart is pure then respect it and dont say things like oh you have nothing to worry about. Because you have no clue what your female friends are thining. we are women adn we know.

Trust your gut that is all i can say. Dont down play it either or she will get mad. Let her know you understand her feelings and will be aware of your female friends trying to get him when he is taken.

I say this.....if he wants you then he can have you, BUT if he doesnt want you then you are mine and i hit hard >>LOL

good luck and remember THINK before you speak or frying pans might have to be ducked

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Feeling jealous and insecure in my relationship River rocks Relationship Health 8 01-14-2010 04:39 PM
Jealous that my boyfriend gets aroused by other women mko555 Relationship Health 15 10-20-2009 03:11 AM
Am i jealous to husband's exs? genieindabottle Relationship Health 31 07-12-2009 10:43 PM
jealous of bfs ex mangoes Relationship Health 7 03-27-2009 05:38 PM
What's up with my "friend"? Is she jealous? JennyLee123 Relationship Health 10 05-08-2008 03:18 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Kszan (272), rosequartz (255), pendulum (172), Larrylou'smom (164), Seraph (155), cryingforever (132), CadenceA (131), lenvegas (97), writeleft (83), Ely4 (62)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (904), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), midwest1 (668), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!