It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Mattm4000 HB User
How do you get a "friend with benefits?"

Really...how?

I am a 28, almost 29 year old guy and I have never had a "friend with benefits". Anytime I was ever physically involved with a girl, she was my girlfriend and we were in a relationship together. I am surprised at how many posts I read on this board and there are females saying "well, I thought he just wanted sex, and thats fine" or "I had a one night stand with this guy the other night" it just intrigues me. Maybe its just something to do with the girls I meet but I never seem to meet a new girl and have her give me the impression that shes just after sex.

To all those out there who have had these types of encounters..how did it come about? Was it something that you talked about beforehand and then reached a mutual decision? Was it just the type of thing where you both fell into each others arms with no discussion? How did it all come about.

Just curious,

Matt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

friendof HB User
Re: How do you get a "friend with benefits?"

Hey Matt, I found it just happens. In fact that part is easy, it's finding a relationship that is hard in my experience.
Just do some online dating for instance. Meet many women, some you will end up being mutally attracted to and for whatever reason a relationship isn't in the cards but a FWB thing may occur. Older, independent women seem to like this as well not to mention they have really woken up sexually.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Mattm4000 HB User

ok,but this is what I'm asking.....

Let's say that theres a girl I know(by the way there really is,lol.) and I am just about 29, she is 35. Shes very attractive, very nice, easy-going type of personality, friendly, kind, and all that good stuff. Shes also single, no boyfriend at all, she just dates here and there.

How do you get something like that to happen without forming a relationship at the same time? I don't think shes looking for a serious relationship with anyone right now due to some bad experiences in the past. I mean do you sit down and talk to her about it and be like look this is what I want to happen and if she is willing to go alone with it then proceed to make the plans concerning the time and date? or do you just wait until you are alone with her some day and take a chance and make a move and hope she don't knock you out? lol. and if that is the "proper" way of doing it then the next question would be then what happens if you are never alone with her? Because we've never been alone beyond a few seconds.

I am curious, I dont mind talking to her or doing what I have to do to make things happen but I would like to try to make sure I am going about it the right way.

Matt

Last edited by Mattm4000; 09-11-2007 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Before anything happens Matt............you really should be honest and upfront. In a nice way......you should say you aren't looking for a relationship/girlfriend. After you kiss, heavy petting or whatever, you really should be upfront.

Friendof....I am older and independent....but I prefer a relationship anyday. I never had a one night stand....honestly.

Good luck Matt.....honestly is always best this way you give her the option to stay or walk.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

friendof HB User

Ahhh...well that's a little tougher when you have someone specific in mind as it all depends on the individual. For example, our friend dma here wouldn't do it and I've met other women who just knew they couldn't do it without getting attached and therefore wouldn't do it, others that didn't want any kind of relationship and were very into it, and still others that once the relationship side of things fizzled or wouldn't happen were still into getting together for the sex. Not that that is what I was looking for at all, and dma, I've never done a one night thing either...always been at least one other time.

So, Matt. I really don't know. I think dma is right in that you need to be upfront about not wanting a relationship then if the two of you do go ahead with things then you know it isn't a serious thing.
(eek! dma did you read what I just said there!?)

I also think you need to be prepared for it to not last too long though, since chances are one or both of you will still be looking around.

Last edited by friendof; 09-11-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Hey you guys.....

Friendof..............I had a relationship with an ex for a year and half. I truly loved him. Kept coming around.......get my drift. I was attached all around. It stinks. He really broke my heart.

As for this...I agree.......prepare yourself for it to not last long. Is it that you don[t want a relationship Matt? If that is the case, be upfront. This way the cards are on the table.

Not a Serious thing Friend? You who are gaga for your GF! My goodness!

I'm going home to my soon to be NOT crush!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

friendof HB User

That's the sucky part of FWB, you definitely don't want to feel used or feel like you're using someone by promising something that isn't there. Definitely be honest. I've never been in one longer than two or three months so maybe avoided some of that.

Haha...a relationship is what I wanted dma. I am happy now!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GypsyArcher HB User

Most women aren't after just sex, much to the chagrin of many men I've had one night stands and they are incredible because to me, the first time you sleep with a person is the best time - all the newness. A lot of women would take offense to the suggestion that you have a relationship based on sex and nothing else.

You can't actually say to a woman "Is it okay if I use you just to get my physical needs met? " Ahaha. There has to be a mutual burning physical attraction...and you would know if there was, I assume.

When I was younger, like 18-21, I found myself in friend-with-benefits situations over and over again by default. Everytime a guy friend wanted to sleep with me I'd be all "Ooooh, he likes me! He's going to be my boyfriend!" Except, not. Ahaha.

Now that I'm older I currently have a friend with benefits, and I knew going in what the score was. We started off as acquaintances, and before long I was craaaaaazy attracted to him. I knew that he didn't want to get stuck in another relationship because he's been burned pretty bad in the past. It's hard for me sometimes to see him so infrequently, but I know it's a good thing because if I saw him all the time I would get bored, like I inevitably do.

Most of the time, though FWB is playing with fire because when you have all of that intimacy, it's a given that one person is going to end up getting attached. And then you'll have nothing but drama. Maybe it would be wiser to look online or in classified ads for women who specify that they are just looking for a good time.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-14-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: In appropriate comment removed. Vulgar terms are not allowed.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Mattm4000 HB User

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your responses. I would love to have a relationship with someone, its just that I haven't had any luck in meeting girls lately. The girl I am referring to, shes the one who's not looking for a relationship. Her and I recently had a talk about the topic and she says that she only wants to be with the right guy, shes one of these girls that finds something wrong with every guy that she meets. Theres this one guy I know and he is crazy about her, I mean crazy, he would move heaven and earth to be with her if he could and although they are friends and she does treat him pretty good in return she said she would never get involved with him, when I asked her why she said because he's too short and he's overweight. Meanwhile, the guy seems like he would treat her so well.

I can understand if your in a relationship with someone and the relationship ends but the sex continues, old habits are hard to break, I was in that situation one time with an ex but what intrigues me is when a girl and a guy just end up in bed, never having been in a relationship, never had dated, just like when it happens out of nowhere. Whenever I hear about that I always wonder what the story was behind it..like who approached who? how long did they know each other prior? why aren't they dating and why is this all they have? I guess it just seems weird to me because I never had it happen to me.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

friendof HB User

There was this one time I went on a date with this woman...we were attracted to each other and one thing lead to another. We both enjoyed it but I knew I wasn't interested in pursuing a relationship with her and she wasn't looking for a relationship, the sex was fantastic for us both so we just continued to see each other from time to time while we weren't seeing anyone else. In fact I did end up meeting someone and had to break it off with the friend...the new woman and I didn't work out and then the friend and I got back together again briefly before I met my current and hopefully last gf. The key was that we were honest about everything and said exactly what we expected. There was one time I was concerned she wanted more and we had an open and honest discussion about it which completely put my mind at ease.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
(male)

paranormal2 HB User

lol, well it happend to me quite by accident a few years ago Matt, I went out with a girl from work, and there was a big age difference, and we got along really great, so i told her " I know you don't want your friends to see you with an old guy like me", and i told her i really liked her and I'd love to be her "part timer" and she went along with it for about 6 months, then she got weird about it and wanted to get serious, and she had a reputation for thrashing ex-boyfriend's cars, so I was glad when she met a guy her age, and dumped me.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User

Several years ago I met guy similar to what you described--no dating--just very attracted and always ended up in bed--only he was someone I worked with, so I knew him a little. We were VERY physically attracted to one another.......he didn't want anything more...I'd never done the FWB before and I found that I'm just not the type of girl to have ongoing sex and not want love to get there eventually. I tried to "legitimize" my mistake by getting a friendship going....a walk in the park, SOMETHING....it just wasn't happening. We had nothing in common other than wanting to tear each other's clothes off. To this day, whenever we see each other in public, the urge to steal off into the nearest dark corner to have sex is there...the physical chemistry never left...it's just I need to feel as if a connection is based on something more. It felt cheap to me.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tarheel247 HB User

Just mention it in conversation with the woman you have in mind. Say you know someone that is in a FWB sorta thing. You will know from her expression what she thinks about it.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

Just read the first post and barely skimmed some of the responding posts, so I may be coming in late on this but....

Just my two cents, but I think FWB situations are bad news. It's just two people who are pretending to care about each other, but who really don't, because if they did, they wouldn't be using each other in such a way, to satisfy a momentary physical need, and in the process, wasting time and neglecting attending to their much more important emotional needs.

I tried this FWB situation once and it was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made in my life. I still feel like jumping in the shower and scrubbing myself when I think about it. I didn't have sex, but sexual contact and while it didn't last very long at all, and I got out of it pretty easily and unscathed, my emotions weren't on the line because it was with someone I had a strange, raw physical chemistry with, but who I really couldn't stand as a human being. I see it as a huge mistake I made out of a great deal of pain I was in and trying everything I could think of to chase it away. But I regret it deeply, and if I could go back and undo it, I would.

But whether the woman ends up hurt when you won't offer more, or you get hurt because she won't, or you both end it mutually but just feel cheap, or the next woman who likes you, dumps you because of your past meaningless casual flings, my experience is that it just causes more problems than it fixes, and it's just not a good idea. It's putting a band aid on something that really requires stitches. You're missing something in your life, and it won't be fixed by meaningless, loveless casual hook ups. Not to mention, you can't guarantee these women will be honest about their sexual histories, or they can't be assured you won't be honest, and that's how we got to the point where 1 out of every 4 adult Americans has herpes. Think long and hard whether a casual hook up and a few months of loveless, emotionless, meaningless sex is worth having herpes for the rest of your life. And how easy it will be to find a nice girl to settle down with after you get herpes.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Ms_ENV27 HB User

To get a FWB...umm.. in my experiences I never wanted to be a "booty call" but occasionally- I was. lol..

Most of the time guys would just straight out tell me there not looking for a relationship...or vice versa.. but did want to date me aka sleep with me..lol

either you find a girl whose cool with that, or shes not going to be that type of girl.

In the end, I felt used. So it was fun while it lasted, but it was nicer that it was over.

But...if you want a FWB, say you meet a female at a bar or social gathering- and you hit it off with her..you just have to let her know your not looking for a relationship but continue to I guess kinda charm her. It's called being a "player" ...lol..i hate that word "player" but thats all I can think of..

If a female is attracted to you enough, and shes single..shell probably go for the "FWB" without even realizing it..

Closed Thread