It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User
This will be a long post, but I need advice!

Hi there -

I've been on this board since July (you'll find out why further down), but haven't visited this board before. I'm going to give you a story, which I'll try to keep as short as possible. Please don't judge me - I just need some advice.

About 2 years ago I was working in an office. My boss and I got along really well. We worked together for about a year. It eventually developed into one of those working relationships that you dream about - he let me do my job, and I did it very well. We were friends and talked to each other. Nothing improper EVER happened at the office. We flirted a lot, because that's both our personalities, but we were both married - mostly happily I thought.

My boss eventually took a position with an affiliated firm. So now I was working with him as an outside representative. The first week he started his new job he asked me for lunch. This was brand new - as his employee we did not do social things. Anyway, I met him at his office. Before we went for lunch, he told me that he'd never got a chance to say good-bye to me the way he wanted to before he left. He kissed me, and it was very platonic. That was fine - happends with friends at Christmas parties and such all the time. We went for lunch, and now that I wasn't his employee anymore we could talk about our personal lives. His wife is/was suffering from semi-controlled depression and he wasn't happy. Neither was I. I married a friend and we were roommates with a 1 year old. AFter lunch we went back to his office for a minute. He told me he liked me and kissed me again - not so platonically. I was in shock.

So on it goes. I told me he just wanted a **$$** buddy. I thought about it seriously for a week. Told him that if I did it I'd fall in love with him. Did it anyway. For six months we made out in his office. About 5 months in, I left my husband. This was a good break-up and continues to be so. It was a good move regardless of the fact that this was going on.

Last May (2006) after about 6 months, we finally slept together. This was not sex. This was very deep for both of us. By this point we were both well aware of the fact that we were in love and in a situation that was messy. He feels duty bound to stay with his wife because of the depression and the two kids etc.

Continue for another year and half. We don't see each other very often. Every once in awhile we have a few hours in the afternoon and we make love. We keep in touch mostly by text msg. I want people to understand though - we do love each other, and we're not using each other for sex. If we were, we'd be seeing much more of each other!!

We saw each other in July for several hours. We've been together many times at this point. He goes out of town on a business trip a few days after - and I develop herpes. Oh God. I told him of course. Long and short of it is, we know I got it from him, and he didn't know he had it. Yes, that's possible - you can just be a carrier, and many people are. He feels incredibly guilty.

Well, this latest in a whole series of things (which I haven't mentioned) has finally persuaded him to make a decision. He's back in therapy (he quit earlier). Problem is, he needs to face his past (no, I don't know what it is - it's big and doesn't involve either me or his wife) in order to deal with his present. I love him to death and want to stand by him, but we are forbidden to see each other even over lunch. We can't really talk about it because it's hard to do via text or even on the phone. When we do talk, I'm sad for hours after because it's such a vague, uninvolved conversation.

I know he loves me, I know he wants me. But it's been almost 2 years, and I just don't know how much longer I can continue waiting for and supporting him. At the same time, I know he needs the support. This is more than just choosing whether to stay with his wife or not. Incidentally, he's never asked me to wait, promised to leave his wife etc. However, as our relationship has developed, more and more he has intimated that he wants this to be more.

What should I do?? I don't know how much longer I can hold on, but I can't let go either!! He's my best friend and vice versa - I can't walk out on my friend.

Sorry for the essay - that's the VERY abbreviated version!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Re: This will be a long post, but I need advice!

"what should I do?"

Move on.

It's been almost 2 years you said? This man seems to have no plan to leave his wife. It doesn't matter why he's staying with her.. the fact is he's staying with her. You will never be completely happy in this situation b/c you will never fully get what you want. Don't you deserve commitment?? This man cannot give it to you. Move on.

He's got his cake and he's eating it too..

Men are experts in making a women feel like it's more than "just sex." But unless he's giving you more, like committment, then that's all it is.. just sex. That's how you have to look at it.

And the herpes thing bothers me. If he gave it to you, don't you think he'd have given it to his wife? In the time of their marriage wouldnt you think that she'd show signs.. which would lead to him to know that he was the carrier?? Unless his wife didn't give it to him... maybe someone else did, and recently, maybe that's why he (supposedly) didn't know he had it? Maybe that is just me being horribly cynical. But I think it needs to be considered.

Bottom line.. he is a cheater. And cheaters are liars. If he is lying to his wife, why (think logically now) wouldn't he lie to you??

As I said in another post (Friends with benefits) Women think that if they show a man how great she is in all aspects, then he will make the commitment with her, in your case.. you feel that if you show him how wonderful you are, give him everything you can.. that he will leave his wife for you. Well he hasn't yet... so I bet that he won't ever. Right now he's got the family, and he's getting some goods on the side.... why would he put an end to that??

I've been the "other woman" before. I was younger then, but the same rules apply. And it didn't end the way I wanted it to.. And thank God it didnt. I can see that now. These situations never end well.

I could go the whole "respect his wife and family" route..but I won't bother. I'll simply say- for your own sake, to save yourself even more pain end this adulterous relatioship you are in and move on.

Last edited by jen52983; 09-25-2007 at 07:03 AM.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User

jen, I couldn't agree more.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
(female)

robynomarc HB User

Another vote for Jen's advise.....Move on. This man sounds like he has alot of issues going on and when you get right down to it......you are having an AFFAIR with a MARRIED MAN, plain and simple. It's wrong, get on with your life. It should have never gone on as long as it has, now you are emotionally vested in this man and can have nothing to do with him. He has made no effort to leave his wife or even make promises to you to do so. As much as it hurts, as much as you love him and you feel he loves you (which I question) you need to walk away. No matter what problems the wife has or how unhappy he says he is with her, they ARE MARRIED.....think of how she would feel if she found out about YOU? Devastated I'm sure.......leave him, move on with your life and find love with somebody that is available and deserving of your love. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

I have to make another vote to move on.

It has been two years. He's never promised he was going to leave his wife and he told you that he felt duty bound to stay with her and the children. He is NEVER going to leave her. You are nothing but his FWB, and honestly, I wouldn't doubt it if he had another one (or two) somewhere else.

I know you think this is some great profound love. But if it were that way to him he would leave his wife. The truth of the matter is he is happy in his situation. He has a wife at home that takes care of the kids. He has a woman (or two, or three) on the side. I mean, the guy gave you herpes! I could only imagine how his wife must feel about that!

One good thing came out of this "affair" with your friend. You ended a marriage that you were not happy in. Now it is time to end this "affair" and move on with your life. Find a man who can committ his whole self to you like you deserve. This will NEVER be the guy. You shouldn't have to settle for what little he is giving you in hopes of more. Your relationship will NEVER be more than what it is.

I just want to make it very clear that I didn't pass any judgement on you. When it comes to affairs and married couples I often have a VERY hard time doing that. I know you know what you are doing is wrong. It is now time to step up and stop it. If for no other reason think of his innocent children.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

matter of time HB User

I know what it is to be in love with your friend. The emotional connection is powerful, he fills your mind and the sex is secondary (but wonderful).

The nice thing about this board is you learn a lot of times "your story" is the "same old story". There is nothing new under the sun.

That being said if your question is do I wait for him? (to leave his wife and be with you) the answer is no. You can be his friend but make sure he knows that is all it is. The sexual tension should subside as you realize that he really has been rejecting you. If he really wanted you, he'd find more time to be with you and leave his wife. Just count his excuses for not getting together. His guilt. It is not an easy decision to leave a marriage but it a good excuse that a man can use to string you along. I believe he does love you as a friend but there is so much going on in his head, some things you'll never know, that you have to realize you are better off just being his friend. Your friendship is a release for both of you.

If you are looking for a stable person to marry and be a father for your child, look elsewhere.

Last edited by matter of time; 09-25-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
(female)

peasncarrots HB User

This man sounds like his life is spiraling out of control. You know for an absolute fact that he is a liar. He lies to his own family.

They say when someone is drowning, you get have to get away from them because they will cling onto you and drag you down too.

I mean, look at all the sacrifices you have made on his behalf! You had to compromise your values and dignity- he made a liar out of you too by stringing you along as an accomplice in the affair.

You sacrificed your health, he gave you a condition that cannot be cured--- and I don't believe for one second that he was a carrier and didn't know it. I know that it is possible, but I don't believe it was true with him.

He took up all your time that you could have been using to help yourself heal after your divorce..

He does all these things to you and his family and calls it "love!"

I have to agree with all the previous posters.. he doesn't deserve your love. i know you think he is a friend and you want to help...but, they say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.. Get away from that man as fast as you are able!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
(male)

Nexis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharine101 View Post
Well, this latest in a whole series of things (which I haven't mentioned) has finally persuaded him to make a decision. He's back in therapy (he quit earlier). Problem is, he needs to face his past (no, I don't know what it is - it's big and doesn't involve either me or his wife) in order to deal with his present.
What should I do?? I don't know how much longer I can hold on, but I can't let go either!!

He's my best friend and vice versa - I can't walk out on my friend.

Sorry for the essay - that's the VERY abbreviated version!

Hi and I hope you are well with this very dramatic situation...

I wished to point out something that the other posters have not brought up; if he is your best friend/vice versa, he should have told you via default WHY he is in therapy...

This is the key here that if he's not even telling WHY he's in therapy to begin with, and your both supposedly consider yourselves best friends, there's more going on here then we or you know...

He's not tell his wife about you, you unexpectedly contracted herpes from him, he's not telling you or his wife about why he's in therapy???

This guy is living a double life, and I mean double trouble for everyone being dragged down by his so called PAST ISSUES that he can't discuss yet he can tell you up front that he wants a **$$)!!! buddy?

He displays alot of abnormal pathological inconsistencies, I WOULD BE VERY OBSERVANT to who he really is, so please be careful of your health ( to not contract so other life-threatening illness like HIV/AIDS) Who knows he may have had a history with prostitution, criminal activity, possible homicide, who knows! You may be dragged in to something bigger than you have ever imagine, both legally and ethically in the long run...

If it was say he was molested as a child, I think by now he should have revealed it to you by now...

Your priority is you and your child, where does your child's welfare fit in to you caring for them if you have this kind of unstable person in your life?

Please I mean well, you sound strong, yet the situation is making you blind to you, your relation with your child and lastly your precious life...

Last edited by Nexis; 09-25-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

Hello everyone.

Sorry about the delay in responding - work, kids, you know how it is.

I appreciate the response. I'll try to address the issues that came up.

Firstly, Jen. You said the "herpes thing" bothers you. (I'm not exactly happy about it either!!) He did not give herpes to his wife. His wife gave it to him. When I asked him about it, I asked him if he'd ever had a cold sore. Most people are unaware that this is herpes. He said No, but his wife used to get them really bad. When I told him that was herpes, he was shocked - they'd never been told by her doctor. This is very normal. 80% of the population has herpes of one kind or another - about 75% of them don't know it because they are unaware or their symptoms are so mild it hasn't been diagnosed. It's also possible to go your entire life as a carrier and never show a symptom, but still be a transmitter. So no, he didn't know he had it. Of this I am 100% certain - the public is just overall ignorant of this virus. The whole "supposedly" comment is coming from someone who doesn't know about this virus - sorry.

I knew when I wrote the post that I was incapable of expressing both of our feelings to any understandable degree. That's obvious from the posts I got back. It's not that I wasn't expecting this response - and please believe everyone that I have considered all these possibilities before. But there is more to it.

I'm sorry Jen, to disillusion you, but it's not "just sex". If I wanted sex I could go out to a bar and get laid - it's not that hard. If it was "just sex", we wouldn't have waited six months before it went that far. If it was "just sex", he'd be over here all the time, instead of once every couple months. We do have wonderful sex, but it's based on a much, much deeper love. We go very deep together, and we have found a sould mate in each other, which is what makes this so hard.

Robynomarc - No arguments. Yes, he's married. Absolutely yes, it's wrong. My morals and ethics have been compromised in doing this. Unfortunately, it doesn't make me love him any less!!

Happymom - It's never been friends with benefits. We started out as really good friends, and now it's a relationship. But it's not friends with benefits - that's an ackowledged situation as such and this isn't. You say I "think it's some profound love and he's happy in his situation". Well, it very much is love (it is possible to be in love and in a bad situation at the same time). He's also NOT happy in his situation. Hence the fact that he's seeking therapy - he needs to resolve it. The fact that he may have other's on the side - well, I'll admit that it's occured to me, but to be perfectly honest, NO. Reasons are multiple, but the one that the readers here will like best is that his schedule just doesn't allow it. Works all day, coaches 3 sports team in the eve, goes to all the kids events etc. He never even gets out for a beer with his friends!! He's had one-night stands in past, but never an ongoing relationship (outside his marriage) before.

Matter of Time (hi there!!) - We've tried the friends route. The sexual tension has never subsided. Seems like we're too involved now. Your post makes a lot of sense, and I wish it were possible... BTW - my daughter has a father, and a very good one who is still my friend. I'm not looking to replace him.

Peas and Carrots - Another person who needs educating about herpes. Sigh. Yes, it's possible he was a carrier and didn't know it. What, just because he had a affair means he must have known, when 75% of the population doesn't know??!! Please!

Nexis - I am doing better today than I was yesterday, thanks for asking. Why hasn't he told me he's in therapy?? He really doesn't know. I know that sounds wierd. We were talking about this today. He's known that he needs help, that something is wrong. And he's told me that. But as he's seeing this psychiatrist (yep, the whole shebang - not "just" the old therapist) he said he's discovered things that have happened to him in past he really wasn't aware of (had buried so deep). Hard for him to tell me things he doesn't know. (ie - molested) Yep - up front he told me **$$&& buddies - that changed within about a week. That was at that first lunch!! Homicidal?? please - he's got deep problems, but they are about his past!! And my child has never met him and doesn't know about him. Neither of us wants to involve each other's children until/unless this goes further.

So now I've addressed all the things I disagree with... I know you all make good sense. I've thought all these things, and I suppose deep down I know I need to break this off - otherwise I wouldn't have written it down here right?? I go for stretches where I'm fine, and then I swear it's over, and then I'm ready to stick it out again. The "ok" stretches are getting shorter - but I just don't think I'm ready yet. I may certainly be deluded - I know you all think that this isn't possible a real love match. But you can't quit smoking until you are ready. And I will not succeed in really letting go of this until I am ready. I really do appreciate the comments - even if some of them I got a bit wenchy about! If you all try to understand that this is more than a friends with benefits or just sex relationship, I will try to reach that point where I'm ready to let go!!

But it won't be tomorrow.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
(female)

sunshine21 HB User

Hi there, I just saw saw your post and read through all the comments here as well as your responses. While I admit that I agree with most of the comments you received, I can also see your side in defense...I don't think you're simply caught up in a sexual love affair with a egotistical man, that's not fair to stereotype you guys as such. That being said, you do have to try to step outside the situation and look at it from a different viewpoint. You love this man, that's obvious, and your defensive response to everyone picking him apart makes that clear. Think about it....you put this guy on a pedestal, and in your eyes, he can do no wrong. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, that's only natural with love, it does make you blind to the reality of a lot of what is going on here. I commend you for at least considering the possibility that this needs to end, and hopefully you start becoming more comfortable with it. Because the fact is...you need to. It doesn't matter how in love you are, sometimes love is honestly just not enough. If it's any comfort, try to think of it as a beautiful chapter of your life that you've experienced, learned from, and can take with you throughout the rest of your life. I'm sure this guy and you have something incredibly special, and nothing can ever take that away from you two. Unfortunately, it just simply cannot be. My advice would be to slowly let him go, maybe make a point to keep in indirect contact (so it's not tempting) every so often...but allow yourself to move on and find someone who can love you wholly, everyday, without the drama of having to decide whether to leave a current wife!

Best of luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 04:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

I appreciate that you can see my side of this, and also that you haven't defaulted to the "it can't be love" position. It's nice to know that not everyone automatically assumes this is "just an affair". (My bad MOT, you didn't say that, did ya!!)

As for the man doing no wrong - I wouldn't say that!! Let's face it, he's having an affair (wrong), he's lying to his wife (wrong), not to mention the fact that he's a bit egotisticall, self-centred, with a bit of a temper!! Oh yes, he can do wrong!! But we all have our faults, all have our bad points. If I put him up on a pedastel, he'd probably fall off!

I'm not a complete idiot though. I can see the other side of this, and I realize that it's eventually what I'm going to have to do. Just not read yet I guess.

Also, I don't know HOW. As my friend, I can't abandon him - especially now when he's going through this "other" thing with uncovering his past. The other viewpoint being, of course, if I leave without a second look, he'll find out what he's missing. I know the arguements. But again, as my friend (one of his only CLOSE friends in the city) I can't just emotionally dump him. So now what??

Old 09-26-2007, 06:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharine101 View Post
I appreciate that you can see my side of this, and also that you haven't defaulted to the "it can't be love" position. It's nice to know that not everyone automatically assumes this is "just an affair". (My bad MOT, you didn't say that, did ya!!)
I can see your side of this Catherine. I don't doubt that you love him at all. It is very clear from your posts that you have very strong feelings for him. I just doubt that he loves you in return to the same degree. If he did he wouldn't be staying in a "loveless" marriage. That just doesn't make any sense.

The bottom line of it is that what he is doing to you and his wife is just wrong. He is living a double life and telling each one of you what you want/need to hear to keep it the way he likes. Why should you have to be in this position of never having the man you love all to yourself because he is too selfish to end something that is supposably so terrible?

You need to take him off of the pedistal and REALLY look at him for what he is. You have built him up to something amazing in your mind and you look past all of these incredible faults he has. Yes, it is good that he is working toward resolving his past issues. But don't you find it strange that he hasn't told you (the woman he claims to love) or his wife (the woman he married) what these issues are? That's what leads me to believe there is more to this story and perhaps even another woman. Hey, his busy schedule does allow him time with you, doesn't it?

I just think you deserve far better than this situation. You have given up and compromised a lot for a man who has no intention of doing the same for you. Don't you think you deserve a man who is all yours and not someone you have to share (who is technically someone else's)?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

Catherine- I've been where you are. I was the "other woman" I was in love with a man who was involved. He swore to me that he was torn between the two of us... I wont go into details of my situation, just saying that I do undertstand where you are coming from.

But I think you are in denial... or simply over looking an obvious truth. He is staying with his wife. It's been 2 years since you and him first got involved, right? If he was that unhappy, he would have left her.. not for you specifically, but simply b/c he was unhappy. He hasn't left. Maybe he stays just for the kid's sake. Maybe he really does want to resolve whatever the problem is between his wife and him. Either way.. he is staying, and possibly trying to fix his marriage by going to therapy.

I said that it was just sex for the simple fact that he isnt committed to you. The difference between a relationship and a friend with benefits is the committment. You and him lack the committment to eachother (or at least him to you) therefore, plain and simple, you are a friend with benefits. I know you will disagree.. but that is because emotions are blinding.

I'm aware that cold sores are a form of herpes and that some people still don't know that. So if you're telling us that he gave a normal, common cold sore.. then i could see how it would come as a surprise. If he gave you the STD form of herpes.. then I still find it hard to believe that in all the years of his marriage, in all the time that his wife had it.. that she or both never had an outbreak and/or didn't know from regular doctor visits. But maybe I am ignornant, naive and uneducated...

I'm sure this guy really does care for you, and yes a person can love someone and be in a bad situation. But it really is as simple as him leaving her if he really, truely wanted to be committed to you. I'm sorry if you disagree with that.. but I honestly believe this. Everyone says is so complicated b/c of this or that.. but when you cut away everything else..if he is in love with you, if he wants to make a life with you, he would leave his wife.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Never ever get involved with a married man. Ever. A man that cheats on his wife is a liar, a cheat and a pig as far as I am concerned.
You know as well as I do that he goes home and tells her (the wife) a pack of lies, just as I am sure he has told you a pack of them. And as far as the herpes story, I don't believe for ONE second that his wife gave them to him.
Dump this idiot and find a real man that deserves you!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

matter of time HB User

At lot of emotinal affairs start this way. You are friends or you work together, you start talking, talking becomes more intimate...you weren't looking for it but there you are falling deeply emotionally in love. After some long hard consideration, sex follows...and it will be explosive. Again same old story. Nothing special, human nature. BUT you two are not available to be together...which adds fuel to the fire. You say "we were friends first..so we will always be friends".

He is burying himself is socially acceptable pastimes to avoid thinking about his problems...(excuses to not make time for you?)

His therapy can take years, you can be his friend but ultimately this will be emotionally draining for you and you will not be emotionally available to meet other people. Unless he really says (and you can believe him) "I will leave my wife when 'X' happens and be with you" keep your options open. Don't waste your time, you cannot get these years back.

I'm not saying he does not love you, I am saying he is not moving toward you. I think after 2 years you are starting to realize this...no, you can not turn off your feelings overnight...but over the coming months you will start to notice these things, feel them in your heart, and be able to move on.

Closed Thread