It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
(female)

mangoes HB User
working together

my boyfriend works full time and im at college. there is a casual position where he works. do you think its a good idea to work at the same place? also the job requires me to know about microsoft excel. im not really sure about this program but im teaching myself. im willing to learn but im extremely scared as i have been working in retail. i want a corporate job one day but what if i stuff up or cant do this? what if i embarrass my boyfriend? are jobs really that scary?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
(female)

pa43 HB User
Re: working together

Will you be working together or just in the same company? How does he feel about it? I think it can be detrimental to a relationship if 2 people work together in a boss/employee type structure. If he's not your boss at work, then I think it's ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
(female)

jellybean80 HB User

i dunno..i think it is good to have space for a relationship to work out. My ex husband and I worked togehter and, yes, it was awesome at first, but then I started to get annoyed because there were days I just felt like not seeing his face or we would get into a fight and then I had to bite my tounge, carpool AND see him half the time Im at work...its a great idea in ur head but in reality.. it bites..but thats just my opinion..

Old 02-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

I think you could give it a try... as long as you are not working full time together all day long, 5 days a week. This would be too much time together and it may effect your personal FUN time you spend together.
If he is just working at the same place, it should be fine. But you need to keep your working relationship separate from your personal life. This is not always easy. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

It's funny that you posted this b.c I am in a potentially similar situation with my boyfriend.

I've been looking for a new job for about 8 months now and a positino opened up at his company. It's a step up in every aspect, but working with him is pretty much the only negative. I love him.. but I'm afraid that we'd get sick of seeing eachother everyday, 24/7...we also live together.. and I'd be afraid that our relationship would become boring and dull.

The difference with him and I and you and your b/f is that we'd be working in the same giant, open office.. same department and same shift. If you and him would be working in areas where you'd have your own space and not necessarily see eachother, then it should be ok.

Just make sure to maintain a professional relationship while at work, and keep your personal relationship at home.

I think that's another problem I would have had. I could see myself occasionally getting moody and wanting to take breaks together.. then getting irrational and upset if he didn't want to! It's silly, I worry too much.. but it's a possibility. So it'd be harder for me to seperate our relationship from our work-relationship.

I'm starting to ramble.. but the point is that if you'd be working in different areas and keep your own space, and your private lives private.. then I don't see a problem.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
(female)

mangoes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa43 View Post
Will you be working together or just in the same company? How does he feel about it? I think it can be detrimental to a relationship if 2 people work together in a boss/employee type structure. If he's not your boss at work, then I think it's ok.
we wont be working together, but we will be working for the same company. im not sure if we will be working in the same office floor space or not. ill be working in the call centre and he does something else. he is not the big boss but he is the head of research so when it comes to research decisions, its him that makes the decisions. i'd only be working there about 2 days a week so i wont be there all the time. its just a casual job while im at college. it was his idea to get me work there. i have been working in retail for the last 8 years since i was 15 and i have no experience what so ever in the corporate world. my cousin just graduated from college and cant get a job due to lack of experience. i have another two years of college to go. my boyfriend thinks this will be a kick start to my career gaining some experience working for a company and improving my communication and interpersonal skills as i have never really liked the phone. i know ill have to start learning these things when i graduate so why not start now. he said if i was to not to do well or not to like the job which he thinks is unlikely, then i have him as a reference and i walk away more knowlegeble.

the only other thing im concerned about is what if im not smart enough? what if i dont learn quick enough? i guess im in my comfort zone with working casually in retail but i have to move on eventually.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User

Do you have time to take a quick Excel course? They sometimes have workshops where you can spend a couple of hours a week taking computer courses and where I live they are priced pretty reasonable.

Excel isn't that bad, but you DO need a quick run through as it has a lot of hidden things you wouldn't realize it capable of doing.

I think this would be a good thing for you, experience wise. Also, with your BF there it might ease the tension of starting a new job. (The beginning is always rough). The experience you might get from taking this job pretty much outweighs any other issues you might have...I say take it, and good luck!

Mileena

Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

There's always a learning curve with a new job. Even someone who's been in the feild for yrs isn't expected to know everything when they start a new company.

Ask questions. An employer would rather be "bothered' with numerous questions than to have to you be doing something the wrong way.

I think taking the job is a good idea. It's always scary starting a new job anywhere.. and a little intimidating working your first coporate job. I was terrified when I started my first "real" job for the same reasons. But you take it one thing at a time, and you ask questions when you have them!

Last edited by jen52983; 02-26-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

JulJul22 HB User

I think that you’ll do just fine. Everybody gets nerves when taking on a new job, especially the fact that you’re going to be working for your bf’s company so you want to make a good impression. There are people there to train, or at least help and you should be just fine.

I just turned 23 and I have been working in a corporate office for over a year. Granted, I have been working for the same company for five years but defiantly not this position. When my boss called me into his office and had me sit down, I though negatively (who wouldn’t) but he was giving me a promotion. It was very scary considering I didn’t know a lot about administrative things, I learned quickly.

I think given the small hours, and amount of space the two of you will have, it should be a positive experience both with your bf and work.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread